DP9 now shipping.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP9 now shipping.

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:
delcosmos wrote:I really miss pointing a fader with the mouse and moving it with the scroll wheel :(
Wow, didn’t know 9 lost that ability. I can verify this bug or functionality loss as it could be so named.
It's the same in DP 9 as it was in previous versions. You have it turned off.
Man. Robbing someone of yet another DP complaint! Buzzkiller! :lol:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

That's ok. I'm sure he can invent another.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

delcosmos wrote: I think it was enabled by default in DP8, in fact it was enabled by default on every single version till DP9
i doubt there is a default. I turned it off in 8 and it turned itself on again in 9
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
delcosmos
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by delcosmos »

bayswater wrote:
delcosmos wrote: I think it was enabled by default in DP8, in fact it was enabled by default on every single version till DP9
i doubt there is a default. I turned it off in 8 and it turned itself on again in 9
I don't remember turning this on (or off), I didn't know this option even extist!
But hey, I've got it back... he he.

Best regards.
8.07 64bit, Spire, Nexus, Fab FilterDiva, Gladiator, Nexus, Sylenth, Stylus RMX, Live 9, Reason 6.5, Komplete 8, AD Keys, AD Drums, Geist, Ivory, Waves 9 Mercury, Sound Toys, Fab, VEPro, Reason, Live, UAD2, x3 2408mk3, PCI424, MAC PRO Dual 3.46 Ghz 12 core Intel Xeon, Memory: 64gb ram, MAC OS X: 10.8.6
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Gravity Jim wrote:That's ok. I'm sure he can invent another.
Uh oh... I shouldn't have started that. Sorry... toodamnhip... we love ya buddy!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
wvandyck

Re: DP9 now shipping- Upgrade box arrived today

Post by wvandyck »

In case this hasn't already been reported, the upgrade box is 7.75 x 6.5 x 1.5 inches, nicely printed with the spectacular new splash screen design. Very attractive!

The contents include:
- A Getting Started manual
- The installation Disc
- Black foam padding.

I looked under the foam but found no surprises. :lol:
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

James Steele wrote:
Uh oh... I shouldn't have started that. Sorry... toodamnhip... we love ya buddy!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
That is EXACTLY how I get into trouble. Exactly!!! Well, except for the NY accent part...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

bayswater wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:
delcosmos wrote:I really miss pointing a fader with the mouse and moving it with the scroll wheel :(
Wow, didn’t know 9 lost that ability. I can verify this bug or functionality loss as it could be so named.
It's the same in DP 9 as it was in previous versions. You have it turned off.
I didn’t start the post...the quote looks like I did. But it is my bad on thinking it was a DP bug. I did say I don’t use that feature and was basically lamenting the issue with the original post-er. But my other point about various things in DP breaking remains...
But sorry for getting that ONE bug wrong though MOTU.... :love:
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

It was turned off in my DP9 too.. it had been on in DP8. Luckily, I knew where that command was.. kind of hidden, so we shouldn't get onto people for not knowing.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Regardless of any bugs I have realized using the demo that I cannot go back, messing around with a song in progress I used the spectral display to check the low end on a track, muted some MIDI notes on a bass line, set some plug ins to float, some to not (floating plug ins disappear when you try to move then to different desktops), and changed the buffer size from the Transport.

So all in all not large things, but all workflow things that make it easier to get the job done. There's a part of me that hopes for the kind of update we got with version 7 where it piled on new features after the .0 release, but I'm using the ones they gave us now and I haven't even delved into the MIDI learn improvements yet. :headbang:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Aside from a few consistent crashes when adding volume to a track (which seems to have cleared up for now) I like the look and feel of DP9 a lot.

I don't always get the splash screen but that's hardly an issue. I am kind of disappointed we didn't see a point 1 release of DP 8. I guess it all balances out in one end it another.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I haven't been able to replicate any bugs yet. I'm still on the demo. The payment page didn't work when I tried, and now I'm waiting until I change to a new credit card. Maybe you only get the bugs when you buy the license.

But I have found one grievous error. In the track colour preferences, you can check "use sound bite color bar". The preview you get shows a 3D colour bar, but the the actual color bars are 2D. And yet, you can make music with it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

bayswater wrote:But I have found one grievous error. In the track colour preferences, you can check "use sound bite color bar". The preview you get shows a 3D colour bar, but the the actual color bars are 2D. And yet, you can make music with it.

Well, fancy that. I'll swan.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

James Steele wrote:
Love you too my brotha..... :dance:
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

I heard a recent discussion about political correctness, one I really didn’t agree with. But there was one good point made, that being, before one complains about various issues nowadays, one has to have such a long preamble showing their political correctness that there is no time left for political discourse.
I thought of that a bit tonight so lets just say that this is my “mini-preamble”...

There are tons of things I love about DP and, unfortunate or not, it seems like many of us respond to Bugs and such and it may appear there is no LIKING of the program..
Not true, not true....I LOVE DP>

So....
Hey James, how about a new sticky? “Things I Love About DP”
And maybe we all have to have a bank account where if we post a complaint or a bug, we have to have enough “money” in our banks, (i.e.-positive comments..lol).
And if we don’t, we get an “insufficient funds” note from the administrator”..lol

“I’m sorry TDH, but your account is over drawn, you have insufficient “funds” for a complaint today, please deposit compliments into the ”Things I Love About DP” account and try again tomorrow"...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13