DP9 now shipping.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP9 now shipping.

Post by monkey man »

Saintmatthew wrote:Question:

... If install 9 on my test machine and run it through paces will it deactivate, or mark for deactivation the next time it checks, one or both of the 8 installs?
Logically, you'd think not, SM.

I mean, some folks have many versions in play for legacy and compatibility reasons, the total number far exceeding the limit of two.
Saintmatthew wrote:The upgrade to 6 still weighs heavily on me.
Hey, it was a heavy upgrade, man. :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Saintmatthew wrote:Question:

I'm tempted to upgrade, but since I have a show on Friday and an album 70% done I obviously don't want to put it on my primary machine. Now, will activating 9 affect 8 activations, since it's an upgrade? We get two activations, I think. If install 9 on my test machine and run it through paces will it deactivate, or mark for deactivation the next time it checks, one or both of the 8 installs? Will we be able to activate an 8 install once we upgrade? I ask mainly because some of us like to keep important stuff in the previous version until we know the early bugs are squashed, even if they are few and far between. The upgrade to 6 still weighs heavily on me.
Don't know specifically about activations but I do know that DP8 and DP9 coexist no problem on the same partition. That way you can have both available, especially if you have an existing session started in DP8. Note that this is for OSX and I have no idea if this is the same for Windoze users.

One thing to note and that is if you install DP9 in the same partition as DP8 it becomes the default DP version to open all sessions/projects. To eliminate that either open DP8 first and then the session or if you don't have DP8 open to right click on the session icon and select 'open by' and then DP8.
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

thracks wrote: I can't offer any reason for your problem but I can say I was able to launch DP7 on my old G5, load MX4 and export all my patches. I was then able to import into MX4 in DP9 without any issues. All my old projects containing MX4 loaded just fine.
Many thanks, thracks: they are old Library dating from 2007 obtained on the Zoozither site . They are no longer available.
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
Saintmatthew

Post by Saintmatthew »

monkey man wrote: Logically, you'd think not, SM.

I mean, some folks have many versions in play for legacy and compatibility reasons, the total number far exceeding the limit of two.
Right, but DP8 was the first version to require online activation so this will be the first time a version that required and limited activations was subject to an upgrade. I imagine it will be fine, but thought it prudent to ask.
MacPro 12core 64GB Ram 4 1TB SSDs motu 828mk3 DP 10.11
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Saintmatthew wrote:

Right, but DP8 was the first version to require online activation so this will be the first time a version that required and limited activations was subject to an upgrade. I imagine it will be fine, but thought it prudent to ask.
I use DP on Windows and OS X on 2 different machines.

DP9 has not messed with my DP8 activations at all as far as I can tell. It uses a different activation code as well.

There is a chance that it's toggling the activations, since my DAW is connected to the internet usually, but that seems unlikely since I've noticed no activity when starting DP.
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

corbo-billy wrote:
thracks wrote: I can't offer any reason for your problem but I can say I was able to launch DP7 on my old G5, load MX4 and export all my patches. I was then able to import into MX4 in DP9 without any issues. All my old projects containing MX4 loaded just fine.
Many thanks, thracks: they are old Library dating from 2007 obtained on the Zoozither site . They are no longer available.
I located three ZooZither patch banks (created in 2005 and 2006) on my installers hard drive. Dragged them to my desktop, then imported them to the DP MX4. No issues.
Last edited by wvandyck on Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

These sounds were on my Documents Folder: should we place them elsewhere ?
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

corbo-billy wrote:These sounds were on my Documents Folder: should we place them elsewhere ?
Documents Folder is always a good option.

I wasn't suggesting a location, but was pleased that archiving installers is worth the effort.
My previous post is updated to indicate the import was completed from the desktop.

Time for MOTU tech support?
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

wvandyck wrote: My previous post is updated to indicate the import was completed from the desktop.
Initially, this MX4 Library were also on my desk and still no improvement.
delcosmos
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by delcosmos »

I really miss pointing a fader with the mouse and moving it with the scroll wheel :(
8.07 64bit, Spire, Nexus, Fab FilterDiva, Gladiator, Nexus, Sylenth, Stylus RMX, Live 9, Reason 6.5, Komplete 8, AD Keys, AD Drums, Geist, Ivory, Waves 9 Mercury, Sound Toys, Fab, VEPro, Reason, Live, UAD2, x3 2408mk3, PCI424, MAC PRO Dual 3.46 Ghz 12 core Intel Xeon, Memory: 64gb ram, MAC OS X: 10.8.6
elcappn

Post by elcappn »

delcosmos wrote:I really miss pointing a fader with the mouse and moving it with the scroll wheel :(
This can be enabled from the mini menu in the mixer. "Enable Mouse Wheel for Sliders and Knobs"
Chris

2013 Mac Pro 3.5 6-Core 64GB of RAM, 27" Dell Display x 3, macOS 10.15.7, MOTU 1248, MTP AV, Yamaha S90-es, Dave Smith Prophet 12, OB-6 & Arturia Matrix Brute, DP 10.11, Dorico Pro 2, VEP7, All Oxford plugs, PSP, Pro-Q 3, Kontakt, SoundToys, Softube, Exponential Audio Phoenix Verb, R2, Nimbus & R4, LASS+LS, WIVI Brass+Winds, VSL Harps, Falcon, CineSamples, Spitfire, Output, Heavyocity, Scuffham.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

delcosmos wrote:I really miss pointing a fader with the mouse and moving it with the scroll wheel :(
Wow, didn’t know 9 lost that ability. I can verify this bug or functionality loss as it could be so named. I use automated faders so I didn’t notice it, but I do remember how there were times that ability comes in handy..weird how changing versions and operating systems break things.
I too have my issues. I truly lament the loss of proper snap shot automation somewhere mid-DP8, and copy and paste automation capabilities, it really sucks and costs my clients money when I have to MANUALLY enter data into every data field in Waves before getting a proper snap shot.

The only forgiveness I can muster for DP breaking all the time is that I know this stuff must be incredibly complicated to program and have lots of “moving parts”..i.e. companies all “improving” their programs simultaneously.

But sometimes it makes us all pretty annoyed right?... :boohoo:
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

toodamnhip wrote:
Wow, didn’t know 9 lost that ability. I can verify this bug or functionality loss as it could be so named.
It's the same in DP 9 as it was in previous versions. You have it turned off.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Saintmatthew wrote:

I'd forgotten that the activation / licensing thing had changed, and your question was undoubtedly a prudent one, SM.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
delcosmos
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by delcosmos »

elcappn wrote:
This can be enabled from the mini menu in the mixer. "Enable Mouse Wheel for Sliders and Knobs"
Wow, didn't know that, thanks!

I think it was enabled by default in DP8, in fact it was enabled by default on every single version till DP9.

Again thank you.

A.
8.07 64bit, Spire, Nexus, Fab FilterDiva, Gladiator, Nexus, Sylenth, Stylus RMX, Live 9, Reason 6.5, Komplete 8, AD Keys, AD Drums, Geist, Ivory, Waves 9 Mercury, Sound Toys, Fab, VEPro, Reason, Live, UAD2, x3 2408mk3, PCI424, MAC PRO Dual 3.46 Ghz 12 core Intel Xeon, Memory: 64gb ram, MAC OS X: 10.8.6