DP9 now shipping.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
corbo-billy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP9 now shipping.

Post by corbo-billy »

Todzilla wrote: Just wondering what others think of it.
8) The problem is we love all DP _ You should try it yourself and see; it's not so long when you know the MOTU Application .
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

corbo-billy wrote:
Todzilla wrote: Just wondering what others think of it.
8) The problem is we love all DP _ You should try it yourself and see; it's not so long when you know the MOTU Application .
He's asking about the 1176 emulation in DP9 not DP itself. And on that topic the emulation is okay if you don't have access to other emulations. For myself I like the IK Multimedia emulation more than the built-in one in DP9. And if one has access to a UAD box that's got a couple of excellent 1176 emulations.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

So dix just reported yet another 9 bug that MOTU can replicate. But the function in question works fine on my setup, just as it did in DP 8. Maybe it's great that I'm seeing so few of these bugs, but it doesn't give me great confidence that a load of users with more or less the same set up see such inconsistent results with OS X.

What about Windows? I don't see much about what's happening there. Are Windows users posting in the Mac lists? Or are there just not many of them? Like to know how 9 is working out on Windows for future reference.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Todzilla wrote:How is the 1176 emulation plug-in?

If it's competitive with other emulations, that and MX4 may tempt me.

I don't have time right now to download the demo and see for myself. Just wondering what others think of it.
Did some playing around with it today comparing it to UAD's emulation. You can get them to sound very close to each other, but not with the same settings on the knobs. Attack and release controls seem pretty close to each other but I had to fuss with the input control to get it to compress the same peaks by the same amount, although it's pretty close, too. The output on the other hand had to be set about 10dB below the UAD emulation for equal output. This was a heavily compressed track, which is why I chose it, with some GRs hitting about -7dB.

I was working on a soloed sax track that I duplicated for comparison. Soloing each track you can hear very subtle differences, but in the mix they are impossible (for me, anyway) to tell apart. I've been using the UAD plugin a lot. I think MOTU's emulation will be more than adequate as a substitute when UAD resources are getting low...or vice versa.

As far as comparison to the original hardware unit - beats me. I don't have an 1176 for comparison, and quite frankly I'm not interested in how close it comes. I just want a great sounding compressor and I think this plugin fits the bill.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

As mentioned trying to map the controls 1:1 doesn't seem to work with other plugins. The input control seems to be wrongly mapped, or maybe mapped to a unit I'm not used to?

I use the FET-76 more than my IK black 76 and sold two other 76 emulations because of it. If I had to pay for the DP9 upgrade (I was in the grace period), it would have paid for itself. As it is, I essentially made money :lol:

That's not even my favorite addition either!
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Phil O wrote:
Todzilla wrote:How is the 1176 emulation plug-in?

If it's competitive with other emulations, that and MX4 may tempt me.

I don't have time right now to download the demo and see for myself. Just wondering what others think of it.
Did some playing around with it today comparing it to UAD's emulation. You can get them to sound very close to each other, but not with the same settings on the knobs. Attack and release controls seem pretty close to each other but I had to fuss with the input control to get it to compress the same peaks by the same amount, although it's pretty close, too. The output on the other hand had to be set about 10dB below the UAD emulation for equal output. This was a heavily compressed track, which is why I chose it, with some GRs hitting about -7dB.

I was working on a soloed sax track that I duplicated for comparison. Soloing each track you can hear very subtle differences, but in the mix they are impossible (for me, anyway) to tell apart. I've been using the UAD plugin a lot. I think MOTU's emulation will be more than adequate as a substitute when UAD resources are getting low...or vice versa.

As far as comparison to the original hardware unit - beats me. I don't have an 1176 for comparison, and quite frankly I'm not interested in how close it comes. I just want a great sounding compressor and I think this plugin fits the bill.

Phil
Great news, Phil!

Thank you for the report, mate. One less plug I'll have to buy.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here