Instrument/Track Presets

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
arthurputy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Instrument/Track Presets

Post by arthurputy »

Hi everyone,

Trying to figure out how to do something with DP8 (if even possible). Here is my example scenario:

- Setup VI (Maschine for example). Likely in a V-Rack.
- Route each of Maschines outputs to separate AUX tracks.

I want to know is there any way to save this whole configuration as a preset (not a template necessarily) so that if I'm working on a project and I want to insert a Maschine instrument I can just select the preset and everything is loaded up just as I've configured it? I was thinking maybe a clipping but I'm not sure if that would work or how. I've tested this scenario in some other DAW's with varied results. But given the unique way the DP works with VI's I'm not sure if this is even possible. Anyhow, much longer post than I think the question warrants i'm sure.

Thanks everyone!
FMiguelez

Re: Instrument/Track Presets

Post by FMiguelez »

I would try a Clipping for that. They work great!

You could also place that setting as a chunk in a dummy DP project, and use the Load command to access it as needed from your current project.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

The only issue with clippings is that tracks come out of their folders. It's easily fixable, but mildly annoying.

Remember you can include aux tracks and any other track kind, even if they're empty. You could even include initial CC automation.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I don't use clippings that much so I'm not able to say if any glitches would come up with things like bundles. But I do what you suggest in a template. I have several VIs set up, each in its own V-Rack. The thing to do, before you save as a template is to go to the Chunks window and turn all the V-Racks off. That means you won't be waiting for the template to load all the VIs and won't be using a lot of CPU for no reason. When you want the VI, just go to the Chunks window and turn it on.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
arthurputy

Post by arthurputy »

Big thanks for the responses everyone. Very helpful (and maybe a bit mind-blowing). I'm trying to get going with using a v-rack for this. I am noticing once thing and maybe its just the way it is or maybe i'm missing something. I'm loading up an instance of Reaktor 16 Out. I then move it into a v-rack. I am noticing that only 14 of the 16 outs are actually available. I think the other 2 are consumed by the instrument itself? So is the idea that from the virtual instrument i route the 14 to separate aux tracks using the Instrument bundles but then create an aux for the mains/remaining 2 and route the instrument v-rack channel to it? Or am I complicating things? Seems I'm getting a bit lost in the flexibility here.

Thanks.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Outs 1 and 2 will be used by the instrument track itself while outs 3 to 16 will be available to route to aux tracks. You can change all this in Bundles and the way you set up routing, but that's the default.

For the sake of CPU efficiency, you are better using multiple instances of the VI each with a small number of MIDI tracks, than a single instance of the VI with a lot of MIDI tracks.
arthurputy

Post by arthurputy »

Thanks for the response. I'm surprised to hear you say that it would be more efficient to have multiple instances of the VI vs a single with multi audio outs. I haven't typically thought that way. One more thing...so this whole experiment here is in an effort to setup the instrument with the multi-outs and all the routing in a specific way and then save it as some recallable preset of sorts where the VI gets loaded all the aux tracks...all the routing, you get the idea. I'm trying to use V-Racks for this. So using the Reaktor 16 Out example. I have my instrument track in the v-rack. I have assigned the reactor outs to separate aux tracks. All good so far I think. Now I' wondering whats next. Do I add all the aux tracks to the v-rack as well? I assume this would make the whole thing recallable, which is awesome but...if I want to automate these aux tracks would I not need now another bunch of aux tracks in the arrange page to route them to? In which case I'm sunk. I hope this is making some sense.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

arthurputy wrote:Thanks for the response. I'm surprised to hear you say that it would be more efficient to have multiple instances of the VI vs a single with multi audio outs. I haven't typically thought that way. One more thing...so this whole experiment here is in an effort to setup the instrument with the multi-outs and all the routing in a specific way and then save it as some recallable preset of sorts where the VI gets loaded all the aux tracks...all the routing, you get the idea. I'm trying to use V-Racks for this. So using the Reaktor 16 Out example. I have my instrument track in the v-rack. I have assigned the reactor outs to separate aux tracks. All good so far I think. Now I' wondering whats next. Do I add all the aux tracks to the v-rack as well? I assume this would make the whole thing recallable, which is awesome but...if I want to automate these aux tracks would I not need now another bunch of aux tracks in the arrange page to route them to? In which case I'm sunk. I hope this is making some sense.
The use of multiple instances allows a VI host to spread the processing across multiple processors. You'll see occasional references on this forum to this advice.

As for Auxes, I don't put them in the V-Rack. That makes it easier to apply automation to the output of the VI. In fact, I don't usually even use Auxes. Instead I route the VI outs to Audio tracks. If you leave the blue monitor button on, you can monitor the VI outputs from these tracks. Then if you decide to print the VI, all you have to do is record enable the audio tracks. Of course, you can route multiple VI outs to these audio tracks, and they become stems. Of course, you can also route the Auxes to Audio tracks, and do the same thing, and there maybe a good reason for doing that, but I can't think of one.

Using Auxes or Audio tracks in the main mixer lets you keep the VIs themselves hidden most of the time, and with the use of folder tracks you can keep a complicated project pretty tidy.

If you do put something in the template that does not come back when you load it, save the template as a regular project file, and then go into the Finder, and mark it as stationary. That way, everything you can save in a project will come back, and OS X will not let you overwrite the original version. When you load one of these stationary files, you will be required by OS X to save it under a new name at some point.
arthurputy

Post by arthurputy »

This is great stuff. Starting to make some sense of it now. Really appreciate your taking the time.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Glad to help. Good luck with it.