Track templates using sequences (and question)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Robert Randolph
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Track templates using sequences (and question)

Post by Robert Randolph »

This morning I realized that I could just make a bunch of sequences that have common track layouts (4 mic drum kit, 8 mic drum kit, 2 di+mic bass, 3 mic guitar etc..). Then I just save that sequence to a global clipping window. Now I can drag and drop that sequence into any sequence and boom, I have imported that track layout into my current sequence.

I'm sure this isn't new, but one thing baffled me while I was trying to figure this out: where in the manual does it say you can drag and drop a sequence into another sequence?
doodles

Re: Track templates using sequences (and question)

Post by doodles »

or you can duplicate track layout in chunks menu
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
Robert Randolph

doodles wrote:or you can duplicate track layout in chunks menu
I don't see how that helps here. It just makes a new sequence with the same layout. Am I missing something?

I'm bringing a sequence into another sequence. I just make a sequence with the track layout I want, save it as a global clipping, then drag that into my sequence when I want that track layout.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Robert Randolph wrote:
I don't see how that helps here. It just makes a new sequence with the same layout. Am I missing something?

I'm bringing a sequence into another sequence. I just make a sequence with the track layout I want, save it as a global clipping, then drag that into my sequence when I want that track layout.
Six of one; half dozen of the other.
There may be subtle differences, but I forget what they are, IF they are.
On the other hand, you can duplicate the sequence, erase the audio and MIDI data, but keep the plugins in the mixing board along with all your saved mixes, and you've got a real time-saver if the plugins can be applied to both sequences equally.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Robert Randolph

Shooshie wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:

Six of one; half dozen of the other.
There may be subtle differences, but I forget what they are, IF they are.
On the other hand, you can duplicate the sequence, erase the audio and MIDI data, but keep the plugins in the mixing board along with all your saved mixes, and you've got a real time-saver if the plugins can be applied to both sequences equally.

Shooshie
Subtle differences? I'm really missing something here, or I'm not explaining myself efficiently enough.

If I have a project I'm working on, and I realize I want to add another 4-track guitar part, I can grab that 4 track sequence (with busses, folders and routing setup) and just drop it into my sequence. Bam, ready to go. I have a bunch of common multi-track recording templates setup now so I can 'add instruments' rather than adding tracks. This is of course in the context of recording audio.

How does duplicate track layout help here?
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Robert Randolph wrote:How does duplicate track layout help here?
You can also drop a chunk into your sequence. Same deal; drag & drop.
You're preaching to the choir. I use both methods.
The main difference is that each track you want to show up in the dropped-in chunk must have data in it. A snapshot of automation will do. You can delete that data later if you want.

I'm not saying one method is better than the other; they both are there, that's all.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

If you're talking about bringing a Chunk into another project, then yes, the way you do it works great. You can also make a "Template Project" and then load chunks into other projects from there. That way you load all the bundles and other items you might want to keep. (Like a custom click track for example.)

If you're staying in the same project:
Duplicate Track layout, does NOT include Inserts
I usually prefer to do Duplicate Chunk and then erase all the audio in that newly created chunk.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.