cpu power saving techniques

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
musicman691

cpu power saving techniques

Post by musicman691 »

In my efforts to save some cpu resources I've been investigating the various techniques available in DP. The manual is helping a bit but I have a few questions. The first deals with freezing tracks. To account for reverb and fx tails I like to include a few measures after the end of the track. No matter how far out I set the stop time in the control panel it never goes as far out as I set. Is it possible to do what I want and if so, how? Otherwise would I just be better off skipping Track Freeze altogether and just recording the vi output to a new audio track considering Track Freeze runs in real time?

The manuals says after a Freeze operation or a real time record like I mentioned to take back the cpu power the vi used to set it's output to an unused bus as well as unticking the play enable for the MIDI track. If I do this with a sample-based vi the samples get unloaded which I believe is correct and I'm cool with that. That returns the ram for usage but does it also free up the cpu power the sampler (in my case either Kontakt 5 or EW's Play engine) used? And if I use a 'computational synth' like Synthmaster or NI Massive or whatever does it free up the cpu power for that as well? I have a couple of pieces I'm working on that have 30+ tracks of synths and that starts to strain my iMac.