Can't boot from USB - MBPro 3,1 - 10.6.8

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Klaus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can't boot from USB - MBPro 3,1 - 10.6.8

Post by Klaus »

I *can* boot from a SSD connected via firewire, but until now,
I tried USB sticks from Kingston data traveler 2 micro 64GB and Sandisk ultra fit 16 GB,
and none would be bootable...
GUID partition table, hfs+ formated.
The Sandisk was available in bootmanager but no spinning wheel appeared after the Apple logo, the Kingston wouldn't even get to the Apple logo ...
I had cloned from the internal drive from the Macbook Pro 3,1 (Intel core 2 duo )
with DiskUtility
I need the USB 'boot backup', firewire is used to record.
? ( my googling was not successfull )
Thanks for help and
best regards

Klaus
mikehalloran

Re: Can't boot from USB - MBPro 3,1 - 10.6.8

Post by mikehalloran »

Booting from a flash drive isn't supported before Lion. I'm not saying it can't be done. Cloning is supposed to work but rarely does with 10.6.

Do you have a 10.6.x install CD that will boot your Mac? If so, try installing the OS onto that flash drive.

If that doesn't do it. Try copying the disk image using Disk Utility to your flash drive. I forget the instructions but it is not a simple drag and drop,

From Lion on, it's pretty easy using terminal commands. Once you make an install drive, you can use it to install the OS onto itself.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Klaus

Re: Can't boot from USB - MBPro 3,1 - 10.6.8

Post by Klaus »

Success
A TDK 16GB works...even with 10.6.8
Question :
If booted from this ( probably ? ) slower flash drive, recording with DP onto a firewire drive should work, what about the OS drive ( the flash drive ) being slower ....DP....and X32-Edit remote software that's used as well to mix on a X32Core that is used as audiointerface ?
When booted from a Mac Mini 1,1 internal drive, these tasks are no problem.
The Mac Mini is upgraded to a Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz CPU...
The flash drive connection speed indicates high speed up to 480Mb/sec in System Profiler...

Thanks to the spezis

Klaus