iZotope RX Final Mix -- what is it (for)? EZMix/auto-mix?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

iZotope RX Final Mix -- what is it (for)? EZMix/auto-mix?

Post by mhschmieder »

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/pos ... +Final+Mix

It wasn't even announced at GS; just via email to previous customers.

I don't get it. Is it primarily an "auto-mix" program for post-production houses that mostly have video expertise and don't want to be bothered learning how to mix audio? Is it for multi-channel mixing and/or mastering?

Unlike EZMix, at least you can tweak the settings after selecting presets.

I can't figure out the connection to RX and why that's the program with the cross-grade offer, as well as the bundling with the recent RX Loudness Control app that appeared to NOT be for DAW's (or at least for AU/VST).

I am starting to not understand this company that I thought I knew well.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mikehalloran

Re: iZotope RX Final Mix -- what is it (for)? EZMix/auto-mix

Post by mikehalloran »

Yea, I puzzled at that, too. I hear nothing that can't be done already. They tout it as a plugin for RX 4 standalone... ok...

Windows: 7 or later
Mac: OS X 10.7 or later (Intel only)
Plug-in formats:

Audiosuite DPM and AAX, RTAS 32 bit, AAX 64 bit, AU, VST 2 and VST 3 32/64 bit.

Host compatibility:

RX Final Mix is currently compatible as a plug-in for many audio and video editors, including:

Pro Tools 10-12
Nuendo 6.5
Premiere Pro CC 2014
Media Composer 7.0.4 & 8.4
Final Cut X
Audition CC 2014
Logic X
Cubase 7.5 & 8
RX 4
VST, VST 3, AAX, RTAS, and AudioSuite will support mono up to 7.1. AU will support mono up to stereo only. For hosts that support both VST and AU, surround functionality can be used via VST. For AU-exclusive hosts, namely Final Cut and Logic, RX Final Mix supports stereo only.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Gotta agree. The email confused me too. I think the OP hit it in on the head as far as the target customer.

I hope they aren't losing their focus.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

billf

Post by billf »

mhschmieder wrote: I don't get it. Is it primarily an "auto-mix" program for post-production houses that mostly have video expertise and don't want to be bothered learning how to mix audio? Is it for multi-channel mixing and/or mastering?
Agreed. I got the email too, checked it out, and think it is for video post. Why is it needed? I have no idea.
mhschmieder wrote:Unlike EZMix, at least you can tweak the settings after selecting presets.
EzMix can be useful, even as part of an insert set of plugins on a channel strip. But this RX Final Mix? I'd rather use Alloy or Ozone.

mhschmieder wrote:I can't figure out the connection to RX and why that's the program with the cross-grade offer, as well as the bundling with the recent RX Loudness Control app that appeared to NOT be for DAW's (or at least for AU/VST).
I agree, the past couple of announcements are head scratchers.
mhschmieder wrote:I am starting to not understand this company that I thought I knew well.
Nor do I care for the current direction. They seem to be pushing Adobe CC a lot suddenly, and if that's how they go, I won't be going with them.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

The *before and after* demo audio tracks are strange to me.
I have yet to see what a serious professional mix could not fix in those tracks without this plug.
Or is it just me?
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

daniel.sneed wrote:The *before and after* demo audio tracks are strange to me.
I have yet to see what a serious professional mix could not fix in those tracks without this plug.
Or is it just me?
It's not just you. I just listened to the demos and I had exactly the same thoughts. It's a little strange coming from iZotope.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Well, I think I won't have any use of it. Saving money...

Some time ago, exact same question raised about Nectar: in my experience, Alloy has all I really need to set and fix any decent voice track.

For sure, Izotope has it's very own way of marketing...

BTW, I do enjoy BreakTweaker, Iris, Alloy and Ozone.
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I downloaded the demo and have to disagree.

I put it across the master two-bus and tried some presets.

Very nice!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
billf

Post by billf »

JSmith1234567 wrote:I downloaded the demo and have to disagree.

I put it across the master two-bus and tried some presets.

Very nice!
So is it basically a streamlined Ozone?
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Exactly.

And their presets, like SoundToys, have always been terrific starting points.

FWI...it uses allot of CPU.

I put it on the master bus, and saw my dp-cpu-meter jump, and also discernible latency added.

I had thought of leaving it on the master bus, but not with that much delay/latency added.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Hmm, time is running out, but I still think I'll skip this product.

I don't use Ozone anymore, so probably shouldn't have spent the money to upgrade (especially the advanced version). I rarely use Nectar either.

Alloy is the one I use quite a bit, as it's one of my favourite buss processors for toms and a few other things. Although, as I get to learn the Slate Digital stuff better, I may end up using it on even more stuff than I already do.

RX4 Advanced is probably my favourite and most-used iZotope products at the moment. Too bad it only supports one plug-in at a time though.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Just guessing. The future will shine bright.
Is automatic mixing coming?

Maybe it will come with presets...
Imagine a Jimmy Hendrix preset? A Nirvana preset? A Beatles preset? A John Coltrane preset? A Beyonce preset?

And maybe a Nobody-Listening-To-Music-Anymore preset, too?
And, of course, a Nobody-Playing-Music-Anymore preset?