El Capitan

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: El Capitan

Post by James Steele »

Morpheo wrote:
nk_e wrote:Agreed. It wasn't clear to me if "legacy" video cards can take advantage of this however.
I tested it today. I installed El Capitan on my 5,1 Mac Pro (separate partition), and the 5770 is NOT Metal compatible. Kinda sucks, however the OS runs just fine. Which means my 1,1 will be able to run El Capitan just fine as well... Upgrading the graphic card to get Metal on a 5,1 is no biggie, however on a 1,1 it might be more difficult, as these older Mac Pros need 32bit EFI.
Yeah... I have a 5770 also and Metal looks very cool. Especially for apps like FCPX. Probably worth upgrading the graphics card for I suppose. Although, since the new MacPros don't have slots, it's not something you could take with you to the new machine.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

This talks about which Macs will be able to take advantage of Metal.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/ ... tans-metal

Looks like I'm good to go w/ my 2012 Mac Mini. The stuff they were showing in the keynote from Adobe looked quite promising. Love the idea of an OS update that boosts performance. Hoping to squeeze more life out of this Mac. I've sat out Mavericks and Yosemite. I've heard some reports that Yosemite was more sluggish than Mavericks. If El Capitan adds any kind of performance boost, I'll be jumping all over it right away.

Babz

P.S. I don't use SSDs so I haven't kept up with things like Trim. But I thought Trim was irrelevant for Macs. Can someone explain what the previous comments about Trim were about and why it matters?
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Babz wrote:This talks about which Macs will be able to take advantage of Metal.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/ ... tans-metal
Hmm, that didn't clear anything up for me and my AMD Radeon HD 6770M. Not at all clear what is a newer card using the AMD nomenclature. And the test program Metal.zip on
https://cloud.mail.ru/public/C6nf/GQb4HZZoH
--an unknown file from a Russian only site? Yikes, no thanks! I'll be watching this topic to see how it all shakes out, but yes, better performance is always better than more features, IMHO. It is about time Apple went down that road again. Who knows, maybe El Capitan will even be snappier!
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Interesting sentence from a 10.11 preview:

permission repair has been relegated to the command line tool.

Maybe Apple has finally worked out how to deal with permissions, or maybe they're just making it more difficult to deal with.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

cuttime wrote: Hmm, that didn't clear anything up for me and my AMD Radeon HD 6770M. Not at all clear what is a newer card using the AMD nomenclature. And the test program Metal.zip on
https://cloud.mail.ru/public/C6nf/GQb4HZZoH
--an unknown file from a Russian only site? Yikes, no thanks!
um, that's because this little test app was written by a russian person who happens to be a very reliable programmer....... It's legit and runs fine, I used it to check the 5770 compatibility on mine.
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
Pro Tools 2018.7//LPX 10.4.1//DP 9.51
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:Interesting sentence from a 10.11 preview:

permission repair has been relegated to the command line tool.

Maybe Apple has finally worked out how to deal with permissions, or maybe they're just making it more difficult to deal with.
It's also possible that change won't survive beta.

Hmmmm... How many apps can I think of that were ever affected by Repair Permissions? Exactly four: DP 5, DP 6, DP 7 and DP 8, especially the last two.

Perhaps it's not Apple that has to "deal with permissions". Hmmmm?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Permissions comes up on the Logic lists too. But maybe not so much elsewhere.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Since when did Apple decide to not bother going beyond the .5 update mark? Was it Mavericks or Mountain Lion? Was it possibly even earlier? I know most of you guys seem to love it, but for my little pea brain this is just annoying.

Somehow I equate every major (read: New-flavoured) OS update with a step closer to the obsolescence of my Mac Pro... and inevitably some software... and possibly hardware. Seems like just the other day the big, bold move was to move to Mavericks, the exotic beach. Well, I'm there now, lying on my towel in the sun, and everyone's leaving or already gone. I haven't even updated past 10.9.2 yet, something I've been looking forward to in the hope that it'd fix the "having to restart Finder to enable pic or link drag 'n drop from Safari... every 3 to 10 drags" problem.

Sorry. Must be gettin' old. Just wish the world would concentrate on growing up, rather than "forward", which in my world is outwards, really.

Carry on... forward. Don't mind me; I'll happily lie here on the ol' towel and play with this stick I found...

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Just as Snow Leopard was really a working
version of Leopard, and Mountain Lion was
the workibg version of Lion, Yosemite was the
working version of Mavericks. I hope
El Capitan is just Yosemite V2, but I doubt
that. I'm on Yosemite (10.10.3) which is rock
solid for me, I think I'll just skip El Capitan
and wait for the OS that comes after it.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
billf

Post by billf »

monkey man wrote:Since when did Apple decide to not bother going beyond the .5 update mark? Was it Mavericks or Mountain Lion? Was it possibly even earlier? I know most of you guys seem to love it, but for my little pea brain this is just annoying.
It's because of the model of yearly new upgrades for the OS. I don't like it. It might be fine for those who just use Macs for social media, but it's just too fast for those who try to run stable studios.

monkey man wrote:Somehow I equate every major (read: New-flavoured) OS update with a step closer to the obsolescence of my Mac Pro... and inevitably some software... and possibly hardware.
True, although Mac Pro 1,1's can be made to run the latest OS and the old tower models ups to 5,1 are built like tanks, so we should be good for a while longer.

The good news is that all Macs currently supported on Yosemite will be supported in El Cap. So at least there is that. :surrender:
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

billf wrote: True, although Mac Pro 1,1's can be made to run the latest OS and the old tower models ups to 5,1 are built like tanks, so we should be good for a while longer.

The good news is that all Macs currently supported on Yosemite will be supported in El Cap. So at least there is that. :surrender:
fwiw I can confirm that the procedure to install El Capitan on a 1,1 is exactly the same as it was for Yosemite. Even the boot.efi is the same. 8)
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

David Polich wrote:I hope
El Capitan is just Yosemite V2, but I doubt
that. I'm on Yosemite (10.10.3) which is rock
solid for me, I think I'll just skip El Capitan
and wait for the OS that comes after it.
With or without Metal, El Capitan will feel like Yosemite on steroids even on older hardware. 10.10 is rock rolid for me as well, but honestly I can't wait to upgrade.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

The name El Capitan, representing a rock formation within Yosemite, certainly suggests the new OS will be a refinement, like SL or ML.

El Capitan is also the name of a San Diego high school, but this fact seems, somehow, less relevant.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

HCMarkus wrote:El Capitan is also the name of a San Diego high school, but this fact seems, somehow, less relevant.
Not much less relevant for those of us unfamiliar with California minutiae.

I heard the same thing about the signals sent by the name, along with specific references to tightening up OS X rather than loading in pile of new buggy features. There was also a reference to Apple having heard a general lack of satisfaction with its recent QA performance.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

More importantly, there was an awesome track in Gran Turismo 4 called El Capitan. It had a great rhythm and flow to it, especially in F1 cars. I was so sad to see it go.
billf wrote:
monkey man wrote:Since when did Apple decide to not bother going beyond the .5 update mark? Was it Mavericks or Mountain Lion? Was it possibly even earlier? I know most of you guys seem to love it, but for my little pea brain this is just annoying.
It's because of the model of yearly new upgrades for the OS. I don't like it. It might be fine for those who just use Macs for social media, but it's just too fast for those who try to run stable studios.
Exactamindo, Billy.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here