El Capitan

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
apanacci
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

El Capitan

Post by apanacci »

Its on the horizon. Here we go again ! New OS
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
mikehalloran

Re: El Capitan

Post by mikehalloran »

Not this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1vPmC_CQQY

Frankly, the best announcement I saw was this one:

iOS 9 will give your iPhone up to 3 extra hours of battery life :woohoo:

http://mashable.com/2015/06/08/iphone-i ... ower-mode/

At WWDC 2015, Apple senior vice president of software engineering Craig Federighi announced iOS 9 will extend battery life on iPhones by one hour. Another "Low Power Mode" will extend battery life up to three more hours on top of that.

SEE ALSO: 7 Ways to Preserve Your Battery Life on iOS 8
http://mashable.com/2014/10/01/how-to-s ... ery-ios-8/

Low Power Mode is indicated by a yellow battery life icon. Android smartphones like the Samsung Galaxy phones have had special power-savings modes for a while.

Federighi didn't specify what the extra three hours actually referred to. Three extra hours of talk time? On Wi-Fi? On a 4G LTE connection? We'll update as we find out.

With iOS 8, the iPhone 6's battery lasts up to 14 hours on 3G for talk time, up to 10 hours of 3G and 4G LTE Internet use, up to 11 hours on Wi-Fi. It gets up to 11 hours for HD video playback and up to 50 hours for music playback.

Update 6/9/15 10:27 a.m. ET: Low Power Mode limits network activity by switching the Mail app to fetching manually, disabling background app refresh and downloads, reducing motion and brightness, and reducing network speed.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Last night I watched the WWDC video and got a crazy notion to make an image of my boot drive and install the beta (I have a developer account) of El Capitan just to see if all hell breaks loose. But then I thought about all the potential reauthorizing of plugs I'd have to do, even after restoring my boot drive from the image I made, and figured I'd pass. (Another reason I like iLok.)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

I thankfully didn't see a whole lot of new whiz bang features. If they are focusing on refining the OS and quashing bugs and rectifying mistakes (discoveryd anyone?), then I will be happy.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

nk_e wrote:I thankfully didn't see a whole lot of new whiz bang features. If they are focusing on refining the OS and quashing bugs and rectifying mistakes (discoveryd anyone?), then I will be happy.
Well, ONE thing that look interesting was Metal, which is supposed to make graphics tasks much less taxing... like orders of magnitude improvements. It would make video editing apps and other apps that render video or 3-D modeling, much faster and pleasant to work with. Made me wonder if it would make DP more responsive as well. But I imagine Final Cut Pro X will eventually be vasty improved when it's updated for Metal in El Capitan.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Agreed. It wasn't clear to me if "legacy" video cards can take advantage of this however.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

nk_e wrote:Agreed. It wasn't clear to me if "legacy" video cards can take advantage of this however.
A concern, indeed.
billf

Post by billf »

nk_e wrote:Agreed. It wasn't clear to me if "legacy" video cards can take advantage of this however.
Probably not all of them.

BTW, is it true that the new OS won't EOL any Macs that are currently supported? If so, that is quite good.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I couldn't tell. It seemed from what I could try and decipher, it was just more efficient and you might not need a completely new graphics card for this. That would be nice. Still, it might be worth upgrading graphics cards.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

One fix in El Capitan appears to be the removal of discoveryd. That's a networking process which originally replaced mDNSresponder in Mavericks or Yosemite, I'm not sure which one. It has a bug for which nobody seem absolutely sure of the causes or the fixes, though there's been much written about it, including some incredibly complicated (as well as some simple) approaches to temporarily fixing it.

One of the symptoms of this bug is a network process which suddenly consumes 100% of your CPU, and which doesn't respond to any normal maintenance or repair procedures. Even when you know a terminal script which fixes it, if there are any other nodes on the network where it could have poisoned the well, so to speak, you have to go to each one and run the script, delete prefs or whatever it takes to reset them. Once the demon is loose, it doesn't go back in the cage easily.

I first experienced it when my daughter's boyfriend of the time would log on to our WiFi. I didn't know he was the source until hindsight, but it took a full day to get things under control, and I wasn't even sure how it got reset. Then it happened again and again, and I realized that each time it happened right after he arrived and logged on. He was using an Android phone.

Though it has been discussed endlessly, Apple has been suspiciously silent about it. Now, the El Capitan beta contains mDNSresponder in place of discoveryd, which may be a step backward in Apple's secret networking plans, but it at least fixes the problem, which apparently has been a nightmare in large LANs where Apple understandably doesn't want to damage its reputation.

Nobody knows if the final product will contain mDNSresponder or something else, but it appears for now that Apple at least will be addressing the problem.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
HCMarkus

Re: El Capitan and non-OEM SSDs

Post by HCMarkus »

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/06/12/os- ... im-support
Apple could certainly make changes as development on OS X El Capitan continue, but given the built-in trimforce tool it certainly appears the company intends to allow TRIM to run on third-party SSDs.
NOW we're talking!
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

I tested it today. I installed El Capitan on my 5,1 Mac Pro (separate partition), and the 5770 is NOT Metal compatible. Kinda sucks, however the OS runs just fine. Which means my 1,1 will be able to run El Capitan just fine as well... Upgrading the graphic card to get Metal on a 5,1 is no biggie, however on a 1,1 it might be more difficult, as these older Mac Pros need 32bit EFI.
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
Pro Tools 2018.7//LPX 10.4.1//DP 9.51
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

BTW, is it true that the new OS won't EOL any Macs that are currently supported? If so, that is quite good.
Perhaps. Certainly not any i5 and i7 Macs, i3 is probably safe, too. Any beta testers on Core 2 Duo Macs? Since they can also boot into the 64bit kernel, it would surprise me if that is no longer supported. Not all features of Lion–on are supported on the Core 2 Duo but they run fine on Yosemite otherwise.

Core Duo and Core Solo Macs were made obsolete by the 64bit Kernel. 10.7.5 was the last OS those could run in 32bit mode only. Hmmm... I am not recalling any Core Solo past the first gen Intel Mini.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

billf wrote:
Probably not all of them.
A legitimate concern since nearly all the ATi cards found in Mac Pros and iMacs between 2009-2012 have a firmware bug that Apple never fixed.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: El Capitan and non-OEM SSDs

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:http://www.macrumors.com/2015/06/12/os- ... im-support
Apple could certainly make changes as development on OS X El Capitan continue, but given the built-in trimforce tool it certainly appears the company intends to allow TRIM to run on third-party SSDs.
NOW we're talking!
Indeed. About time, Apple.