El Capitan

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: El Capitan

Post by toodamnhip »

James Steele wrote:
nk_e wrote:I thankfully didn't see a whole lot of new whiz bang features. If they are focusing on refining the OS and quashing bugs and rectifying mistakes (discoveryd anyone?), then I will be happy.
Well, ONE thing that look interesting was Metal, which is supposed to make graphics tasks much less taxing... like orders of magnitude improvements. It would make video editing apps and other apps that render video or 3-D modeling, much faster and pleasant to work with. Made me wonder if it would make DP more responsive as well. But I imagine Final Cut Pro X will eventually be vasty improved when it's updated for Metal in El Capitan.
When I have a rare crash, it is often preceded by a command followed by a quick change in either zoom, or some sort of big graphics change. Anything that improves graphics strain would be appreciated. By the way James, (or anyone), I still cannot for the life of me figure out why DP reads in the “red” in it's vague little processor read out strip, (it really should be made bigger and show % amounts), but .....do you know WHY DP can show itself red lining while my real processor read outs generally show 20% power use? It makes it seem like DP is really inefficient..it makes no sense and I am wondering if you know of a thread about this or understand it? Seems like a ton of computer power isn’t being used, or something is choking and/or bottlenecking in DP?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote:The name El Capitan, representing a rock formation within Yosemite, certainly suggests the new OS will be a refinement, like SL or ML.

El Capitan is also the name of a San Diego high school, but this fact seems, somehow, less relevant.
It is also the name of John Philip Sousa's most famous operetta. An opera company I perform with on occasion has announced it as their 2016 Summer show. Here is the March from El Capitan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1vPmC_CQQY

Yea, it's one of the ones you've heard before. Now you know its name.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

mikehalloran wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:The name El Capitan, representing a rock formation within Yosemite, certainly suggests the new OS will be a refinement, like SL or ML.

El Capitan is also the name of a San Diego high school, but this fact seems, somehow, less relevant.
It is also the name of John Philip Sousa's most famous operetta. An opera company I perform with on occasion has announced it as their 2016 Summer show. Here is the March from El Capitan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1vPmC_CQQY

Yea, it's one of the ones you've heard before. Now you know its name.

... and the name of a famous passenger train on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe. If I recall correctly, it targeted the non-luxury market. Had high-level chair cars and dome cars. What a way to travel!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|