DP + VEPRO + THUNERBOLT 2 DRIVE + NEW MAC PRO

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
c0mp0ser
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP + VEPRO + THUNERBOLT 2 DRIVE + NEW MAC PRO

Post by c0mp0ser »

Hi all,
For 2 months now I have been using a new composing template that I created, which is 100% hosted on the new Mac Pro. All samples are hosted in many instances of Kontakt in VEPRO with the new MAS plugin. It's a relatively large template, taking up about 64 gigs of RAM.
Now, the samples are on an external GRaid Studio hard drive, which is equipped with Thuderbolt 2. But I am encountering much sample dropout, and drive bottlenecks. I'm not really layering that many things together, you notice it, for example, when you have some staccato strings going, and then layer some sustain elements. This is just awful, and I'm very sad that I could not get it working all on the same computer. The buffer is already at 512.
Is there anything that can be done to resolve? Anyone have a similar setup? Are we not there yet? Do we still need external PC's for large orchestral templates?
Michael Patti
http://www.hollywoodscoring.com
http://www.cinesamples.com
http://www.mikepatti.com
http://www.wherestheorchestra.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 6-Core, PC running VE Pro and a bunch o' samples.
oknussen
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: DP + VEPRO + THUNERBOLT 2 DRIVE + NEW MAC PRO

Post by oknussen »

Thanks for posting this. I've been considering going to a similar system and have wondered how it would perform. I am sorry you are experiencing these problems - I do hope there is a solution and will follow this thread carefully.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'm wondering how much TOTAL RAM you have in your Mac if your samples are taking up 64 GB?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote:I'm wondering how much TOTAL RAM you have in your Mac if your samples are taking up 64 GB?
Yikes!
The buffer is already at 512
What happens when you make that larger?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Elektroakoustika

Post by Elektroakoustika »

Is the GRaid drive using SSD's or HDD's? With such a big template I can't imagine running without SSD's.

Also, I assume you're using Kontakt for the majority of your samples. Is Kontakt's CPU meter spiking or the Disk meter spiking when you have these dropouts? Have you tried changing the preload buffer in Kontakt?

FWIW, I'm running a fairly large template (around 32GB) on my 09 Mac Pro where I have an SSD as the boot drive and an internal SSD as the samples drive (still running off SATA II... eek!). I have found that I needed to mess with the Kontakt preload buffer before I could get it working without dropouts/clicks.
Mac Pro 12-Core 2.93ghz 64gb ram | macOS 10.12.6 | Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 | DP 9.52 | VE Pro 6 | Dorico 2.2
2016 MacBook Pro 2.6 ghz i7
cody

Post by cody »

Just curious which way you went with the Kontakt preload? On my mobile rig I'm running most samples off a RAID SSD setup with Thunderbolt and have some dropouts as well. Tried the buffer very low at first to preserve RAM but then went back to default.
MacPro 2011 *upgraded* 12 Core 3.33. 64 Gigs RAM. 2x PCIe SSDs, 2x SATA SSDS - OS 10.10.5, DP9.02, VEP5 + VEP5 Slave PC (i7)