Step Record annoyance

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
cleamon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Step Record annoyance

Post by cleamon »

I use step record a lot and up until lately, I've use my mouse to click the note duration and my piano to enter the notes. Very annoying going back and forth to the mouse. SO, I set up "MIDI commands" to switch between durations (notes in a low, unused octave and/or another controller). This keeps me (eyes and fingers) focused on the (piano) keyboard. Unfortunately these commands work like Shift-click does on the step record palette. In other words:

using the mouse,
1) if you click a duration, it turns off (all) the previous and turns on the new one (mutually exclusive selection)
2) if you shift-click a duration, it merely toggles the new one, leaving all others unchanged.

using the "key commands"
keyboard or MIDI behaves like #2. While handy, this is not the behavior I desire by default. It means that most of the time, I have to press 2 keys to change duration, having to remember the previous one(s) to toggle off, keeping an eye on the step record palette to verify my selection.

Is there a workaround to make the "key commands" (especially via MIDI), work like the unshifted mouse click?

Thanks
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram