Setting up Hard Drives for recording and Sample Libraries

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Setting up Hard Drives for recording and Sample Librarie

Post by bayswater »

Well, you did bring up FW, albeit indirectly in the original post. My answer was that big or little drives will make no difference, but getting a new FW drive is like investing in buggy whips. You might not be interested in the possibility of getting USB 3 instead of FW, but there might be other people reading this thread, and it could be relevant to them.

As for why there are recommendations to spread samples across multiple drives: because each drive has limitations in how much it can deliver, so more drives will help get around that problem.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dix

Post by dix »

Running your libraries on as many multiple drives as possible was excellent advice in the old ATA/EIDE (now known as PATA) days. It just isn't a real world issue with SATA bus speeds.
That's not my experience - when it comes to load times anyway. Before I set up my SSD on a SATA3 card I had all my libraries spread over multiple drives. Once I got the SSD I moved all my goto libraries to that SSD, but it slowed load times and DP seemed to hit the wall easier. Spreading the libraries back out a little helped things. My libraries are now on two sata ssds and a FW drive.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

I agree with the last poster. I think that I'm going to keep my sample libraries on a number of different drives and maybe try a single, non-partitioned 4Tb record drive. I am going to invest in a PCIe card with USB3 and SATA and maybe spring for a few 1Tb SSDs for my libraries to see if that gives me consistent and fast playback.
Thanks.
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

bayswater wrote:Well, you did bring up FW, albeit indirectly in the original post. My answer was that big or little drives will make no difference, but getting a new FW drive is like investing in buggy whips. You might not be interested in the possibility of getting USB 3 instead of FW, but there might be other people reading this thread, and it could be relevant to them.

As for why there are recommendations to spread samples across multiple drives: because each drive has limitations in how much it can deliver, so more drives will help get around that problem.
I'm one of those folks for whom it is relevant. Thanks for the info!

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

jloeb

Post by jloeb »

rosindabow wrote:I am going to invest in a PCIe card with USB3 and SATA and maybe spring for a few 1Tb SSDs for my libraries to see if that gives me consistent and fast playback.
Thanks.
All good stuff. It absolutely will.