Any users of Slate SSD4 & Superior Drummer in DP 8

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dewdman42
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Any users of Slate SSD4 & Superior Drummer in DP 8

Post by dewdman42 »

James Steele wrote:
dewdman42 wrote:I also should mention, SSD4 Platinum is currently on sale also, $149.
Link? I have SSD4 SE or LE or whatever the heck they call their lower version of SSD4. Be cool if there's an upgrade charge that's not exorbitant.
here is their store.

http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/store/

its even better then I thought, he's throwing in an expansion pack with SSD4 platinum for the $149. I paid hundreds for SSD4 + CLA pack, now on sale for $149. Even without an upgrade option, that is a spectacular price actually.

I didn't see an upgrade from EX on that page, but shoot them an email and ask. Based on their current pricing of $99 for SSD4EX, maybe he will upgrade you for $50, doesn't hurt to ask.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
stevenew

Post by stevenew »

Thanks for all the info, in the end I have gone for SSD4 with the Blackbird expansion. For me tonally it was the most different to BFD, yea the GUI is a bit clunky and there is not as much detail control as BFD but it will give me a very different palette to work with. I will still keep a look out for any offers on SD2 and may end up getting that as well.
2018 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 16GB. External SSD Sample Drives. macOS Monterey 12.2. MOTU 624 & 8D. Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, DP 9.52, DSP Quattro 5. Arturia, Gforce, iZotope, NI, Plugin Alliance, Slate, SSD5, Soniccouture, Spectrasonics, Spitfire. Novation 61 SLMKII, JBL LSR 305, Sennheiser HD600, AKG 240MKII. PRS, Martin Guitars, Mensinger Bass. Vox & Orange amps. Line 6 Helix.
guitardood

Post by guitardood »

James Steele wrote:
stevenew wrote:Thanks guys, good to know both SSD4 & SD2 are working fine in DP. Now I just have to decide which to go for, I had more or less decided on SD2 but as SSD4 is on offer at the moment and I really like the new Blackbird exp I'm very tempted. I think going for both would be overkill and a big distraction, not to mention making all those drum maps for the DP drum editor, if I can remember how to do it!
Not to throw a monkey wrench into things, and I get no renumeration from the company, but have you checked out Addictive Drums? The XLN Audio plugs are 50% off during their birthday sale. I scored full version of Addictive Drums 2, including three kits last night for $79.20 out the door through JRRshop.com. (It says $99 but the final price appears after you are registered at their site and you add it to your cart.)

https://www.jrrshop.com/xln-audio-addictive-drums-2

I'm going through the kits right now and many of them are very good. I'm feeling like I might be going to this more often than either SSD4 or SD2.

Hey James,
Is there some discount code required? When I go to the link above AD comes up for $199 and after registering, it gave a $39.80 discount bringing the price to $159.20.

I'm actually using and pretty happy with Superior Drummer, but for $80 I figured "what the heck".

Chuck Fletcher on Reverb Nation
Chuck Fletcher on Facebook

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK".
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I think the sale is over now unfortunately. :(
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Basstrup

Post by Basstrup »

I'm working with both toontrack products in DP9. I mostly use EZD. Got a bunch of extension packages. The biggest drawback is is the MIDI mapping of articulations - I am working on releasing free DP projects with all articulations for each expansion later this month. What I like about EZD, the MIDI song building, unfortunately dragging MIDI directly from EZD to DP doesn't work in 64bit. Another drawback is some instruments like toms are routed into one stereo channel. SD has better better routing and mixer. Not a big issue, but I do like to all my mixing in DP, so the workaround is freeze tracks with individual toms soloed. It's easy to add you own MIDI loops or any other commercial loops like the ones from Platinum Samples.
Analog is great... We got both WOW and Flutter - what's your bias?
MOTU: DP9 - 2 x MachV - 2 x MX4 - 2 x 1296 - 2 x 896HD - 1 x UltraLite AVB - 1 x MOTU Monitor 8 - 1 x 24i - 3 x MTP AV | UA Apollo Quad | UA Arrow | SSL 2+ || Digi 002Rack | Mackie control + expanders | UAD-2 PCIe card | 2 x Mac Pro | Mac Mini Late 2018 | OS X 10.14.6