Pop-editing a Soundbite

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Pop-editing a Soundbite

Post by philbrown »

When you're in the Sequence Editor and you double-click a Soundbite, the SB turns white and DP is obviously in some other mode. In all the years I've been using DP I never knew what was going on, and have have only done this by mistake (once or twice a day if I'm editing a lot). I FINALLY found one reference to it on p.351 where it's called 'pop-editing' and there's a vague (to me) reference to scrubbing. Is that the only purpose of that mode? Seems like there must be more to it or something I'm not understanding. I never use audio scrubbing so maybe that's why I don't get it.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Phil O

Re: Pop-editing a Soundbite

Post by Phil O »

It must be a Phil thing, Phil. I've never used this "feature" and don't have a clue as to how it's used. It's one of those things I've just ignored through the years and have probably wasted valuable time having not learned the true power of pop-editing. Oh well. :?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

philbrown wrote:When you're in the Sequence Editor and you double-click a Soundbite, the SB turns white and DP is obviously in some other mode. In all the years I've been using DP I never knew what was going on, and have have only done this by mistake (once or twice a day if I'm editing a lot). I FINALLY found one reference to it on p.351 where it's called 'pop-editing' and there's a vague (to me) reference to scrubbing. Is that the only purpose of that mode? Seems like there must be more to it or something I'm not understanding. I never use audio scrubbing so maybe that's why I don't get it.
It's also used for setting sync points (pgs. 354-355) and pureDSP operations (pg. 857).
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Robert Randolph wrote: It's also used for setting sync points (pgs. 354-355) and pureDSP operations (pg. 857).
Hmm. My DP8 manual pages and yours don't match, Robert. Sync points in my manual is on p. 352-353. Thanks for the info though.

This reminds me of how many functions in DP I don't use.
I'm The Mayor of Simpleton as far as some aspects of DP go I guess.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Yeah, me too, Phil. I rarely use sync points and when I have, I've set them in the waveform editor window (I think - can't remember). I've probably used Scrub once. Anyway, if there's something I'm missing about pop-editing, please chime in. Thanks for the question, Phil.

Regarding the manual, I find that my page numbers (for DP8) often do not line up with others here. I wonder if there were two different printings of that manual.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The printed page numbers do not agree with the number of pages in the .pdf file. This is very common since books don't number the cover as pg. 1.

Could that be the issue?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

mikehalloran wrote:The printed page numbers do not agree with the number of pages in the .pdf file. This is very common since books don't number the cover as pg. 1.

Could that be the issue?
Probly. I still go by the book.

Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

philbrown wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote: It's also used for setting sync points (pgs. 354-355) and pureDSP operations (pg. 857).
Hmm. My DP8 manual pages and yours don't match, Robert. Sync points in my manual is on p. 352-353. Thanks for the info though.

Yeah, it's 352-353 in the book here as well.

I always have the pdf open on my system, so that's my goto.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

mikehalloran wrote:The printed page numbers do not agree with the number of pages in the .pdf file. This is very common since books don't number the cover as pg. 1.

Could that be the issue?
Didn't I read here there were different versions of the DP8 manual - one with the plugins in it before that got split out to it's own document?

Actually I've seen some things that are different in the pdf versus the printed manual and it's not just page numbering.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Robert Randolph wrote: I always have the pdf open on my system
That's the best tip of the day. :idea:

Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

musicman691 wrote:Didn't I read here there were different versions of the DP8 manual...
Even though I'm still using 7.24, I believe you are correct. There have been posts about this before.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

I do recall working on a project where I had to do painfully extensive drum edits (audio, not MIDI).

I remember getting a lot of mileage with Pop-editing because of how it works. I could make a selection, and it automatically would sound the selection for me. While this was happening, I held the Shift key down and either extended or shrunk my selection (either by clicking before or after the selected material, automatically hearing exactly what I'm selecting. I really don't know if my description is understandable, but I could try and rephrase it, if I'm not making any sense.

I'm not aware of any other way to do this in DP.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Searchable .pdf files are my friend. With my two or three monitor setup, the DP User Guide sits in a corner if I need it. I have never cracked the print manual in DP 8. If things are different between the two, I wouldn't know.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

philbrown wrote:

That's not true at all. You do a lot in DP, and I even have one of your CDs. What you do is top-shelf stuff. There are a lot of features I don't use in DP. I try to become familiar with them just so I can help people here with them, but I'd have to be the busiest musician on earth to use all the features in this thing.

There's no shame in asking basic questions about features in DP. The darned thing is a Swiss Army knife, and unless you're the whole Swiss Army, there are going to be things you don't know. The manual is very useful once you get to know the tricks for finding stuff. (don't forget the table of contents; I find more stuff there than in the index, it seems.) But it can be surprisingly vague about some things, and flat-out opaque about others. This forum is the "No-Shame-Zone."

Which reminds me.... those piano-roll looking things. Why do they make me angry?

:lol:

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Shooshie wrote:
philbrown wrote:

That's not true at all. You do a lot in DP, and I even have one of your CDs. What you do is top-shelf stuff. There are a lot of features I don't use in DP. I try to become familiar with them just so I can help people here with them, but I'd have to be the busiest musician on earth to use all the features in this thing.

There's no shame in asking basic questions about features in DP. The darned thing is a Swiss Army knife, and unless you're the whole Swiss Army, there are going to be things you don't know. The manual is very useful once you get to know the tricks for finding stuff. (don't forget the table of contents; I find more stuff there than in the index, it seems.) But it can be surprisingly vague about some things, and flat-out opaque about others. This forum is the "No-Shame-Zone."

Which reminds me.... those piano-roll looking things. Why do they make me angry?

:lol:

Shoosh
Shooshie, you are one great guy, in a lot of ways. I really appreciate that post more than you know. I often wrestle with "Is this question too dumb/basic to post?" and "Am I the only one who doesn't get this?" Also thanks for the other posts- everyone. Turns out there was a lot more to know about pop-editing than what I found on p 351.

Random Unicorn! :unicorn: