DP Control IPhone App

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP Control IPhone App

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Is there a way to resize the faders, or hide some of them?

I want to adjust one fader remotely in DP with the app, but keep hitting all of the adjacent faders by mistake.

I'd like one big fader, or at least hide the other faders so I don't keep hitting them inadvertently.

Thanks!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP Control IPhone App

Post by James Steele »

JSmith1234567 wrote:Is there a way to resize the faders, or hide some of them?

I want to adjust one fader remotely in DP with the app, but keep hitting all of the adjacent faders by mistake.

I'd like one big fader, or at least hide the other faders so I don't keep hitting them inadvertently.

Thanks!
Not sure about hiding them, but what you CAN do as a bit of a workaround is just add some empty MIDI tracks with no MIDI destination into your project, set their volume all the way down and arrange them so that on DP control, the only thing adjacent to the track you wish to adjust are these empty tracks so accidentally hitting them won't cause any problems for you.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Hey that is perfect. Thanks!!!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

You're welcome. I encountered this myself when I wanted to allow someone to have access only to relevant faders and not be able to hit the wrong thing. You may need to add extra if you expect to use the iPad in landscape mode. As I recall DP Control will show more faders at once than when using Portrait. There's tremendous potential with DP control. I wish they'd have developed it further with the ability to lock out certain functions from a remote user.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

Is DP Control still available? I don't see it in the App Store, and the DP Control web page at the MOTU site is not active.
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
billf

Post by billf »

ghobish wrote:Is DP Control still available? I don't see it in the App Store, and the DP Control web page at the MOTU site is not active.
I don't think it is available. All they seem to have now is the AVB Discovery.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

OK, I did find it and download it from the iTunes Store (not the App Store). Don't know that there's any advantaghe over V-Control Pro (other than it's simplicity, which can sometimes be an advantage)
Gary Hobish
San Francisco, Ca

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
billf

Post by billf »

ghobish wrote:OK, I did find it and download it from the iTunes Store (not the App Store). Don't know that there's any advantaghe over V-Control Pro (other than it's simplicity, which can sometimes be an advantage)
Good to know about the iTunes store versus App Store. Strange though.

As for advantages over V-Control, it's specifically designed for DP, whereas V-Control in some cases "sort of" does the job. IF (and that is a big IF) you can get all the functions to work on DP Control, it's great. Other threads here indicate varying degrees on success ranging from "great" to "won't run at all."
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

billf wrote:As for advantages over V-Control, it's specifically designed for DP, whereas V-Control in some cases "sort of" does the job.

Well, I already paid for V-Control, so I'm gonna find SOME way to use it!

(At least until I can find some replacement faders for my aging Radikal SAC, which remarkably still works, at least in 32 bit mode)
Gary Hobish
San Francisco, Ca

billf

Post by billf »

ghobish wrote:
billf wrote:As for advantages over V-Control, it's specifically designed for DP, whereas V-Control in some cases "sort of" does the job.

Well, I already paid for V-Control, so I'm gonna find SOME way to use it!

(At least until I can find some replacement faders for my aging Radikal SAC, which remarkably still works, at least in 32 bit mode)
V-Control is great, I have no complaints about it. And who know if MOTU will ever update DP Control.

BTW, I think we might be the last two Radikal owners left. :D
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

billf wrote:BTW, I think we might be the last two Radikal owners left. :D

Could be... I am looking for replacement faders. V-Control is fine but I like having my hands on faders, I have better control that way plus I can mark fader positions. So the options at this point are:

1. Find replacement faders (apparently about $34 a pop and a 12 week wait time)
2. Spring for a Euphonix MC Control and Transport (better resolution, and none of the other conrollers have a form factor I like)
3. Go virtual and live with it.

I'm going to ask a programmer friend of mine if he might like to try updating the Radikal driver for 64 bit...
Gary Hobish
San Francisco, Ca

dbender

Post by dbender »

ghobish wrote:
billf wrote:BTW, I think we might be the last two Radikal owners left. :D

Could be... I am looking for replacement faders. V-Control is fine but I like having my hands on faders, I have better control that way plus I can mark fader positions. So the options at this point are:

1. Find replacement faders (apparently about $34 a pop and a 12 week wait time)
2. Spring for a Euphonix MC Control and Transport (better resolution, and none of the other conrollers have a form factor I like)
3. Go virtual and live with it.

I'm going to ask a programmer friend of mine if he might like to try updating the Radikal driver for 64 bit...

Me three - still have my Radikal.

Was thinking of getting an iPad and using V-Control, but I too want real faders and knobs and buttons.

Euphonix is too expensive for me, and so too is a new Mackie Control -- don't like the form factor, but a cool thing about Mackie Control faders is that they have teeth in the belts so no slippage. A couple of my Radikal faders are starting to slip, and I'm guessing the replacements for them are like the original faders that don't use teeth.

Gary, where can I get replacement faders you speak of?

And if you do get the driver updated for 64 bit, please let us know. Thanks!
iMac 3.0 GHz, 8 GHz ram, OS 10.6.4, MOTU 828 Mk II, MOTU MIDI Express-XT (x2), KRK Rokit 6's, Novation Remote Zero SL, Radikal SAC-2k, Triton rack maxed out, Matrix 1000, Handsonic HPD-15 drum pads, tons 'o VI's.....
ghobish

DP Control IPhone App

Post by ghobish »

After some more testing i have determined that the bug in 64bit mode that causes the Radikal to jump to -inf (i.e., MIDI 0) when the fader is pushed to full is not in the Radikal USB/MIDI driver, but in the MOTU-supplied control surface support software. I've made MOTU aware of this but since the unit has been out of production for so long its doubtful that MOTU will see fixing it as a priority.

I have a friend who will investigate rewriting the driver himself and wanted to get a head count of how many of us would be willing to support his enterprise and contribute a bit towards his updating that code to fix the issue, and how much it would be worth to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gary Hobish
San Francisco, Ca

billf

Post by billf »

ghobish wrote:After some more testing i have determined that the bug in 64bit mode that causes the Radikal to jump to -inf (i.e., MIDI 0) when the fader is pushed to full is not in the Radikal USB/MIDI driver, but in the MOTU-supplied control surface support software. I've made MOTU aware of this but since the unit has been out of production for so long its doubtful that MOTU will see fixing it as a priority.

I have a friend who will investigate rewriting the driver himself and wanted to get a head count of how many of us would be willing to support his enterprise and contribute a bit towards his updating that code to fix the issue, and how much it would be worth to you.
I'm interested. Is there a ballpark estimate on the overall cost of such a thing?
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

ghobish wrote:After some more testing i have determined that the bug in 64bit mode that causes the Radikal to jump to -inf (i.e., MIDI 0) when the fader is pushed to full is not in the Radikal USB/MIDI driver, but in the MOTU-supplied control surface support software. I've made MOTU aware of this but since the unit has been out of production for so long its doubtful that MOTU will see fixing it as a priority.

I hope that works. And you're right, it is the control surface bundle that needs updating. That's what we did a while back with the AlphaTrack. Someone at Frontier Electronics gave us the name of the programmer they had contracted to write it and we convinced him a bunch of us would buy the new bundle from him if he could update it, which he did. Good luck.