Please recommend a substitution for this plug-in...

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Please recommend a substitution for this plug-in...

Post by FMiguelez »

One of the few plug-ins I lost when transitioning to DP8, was one of my favourites>

http://bram.smartelectronix.com/plugins.php?id=4

It was this realtime oscilloscope where you could instantly see the waveform on any (unprinted) track, i.e., to quickly check for crazy transients in things like congas, bongos, etc. It was very convenient, but unfortutately, it's 32-bit only, and it doesn't seem it will ever be upgraded.

I am not willing to instal any plug/in wrappers just for this, so if someone knows of a 64-bit alternative that works with DP8, I'd really appreciate it.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Phil O

Re: Please recommend a substitution for this plug-in...

Post by Phil O »

There are some free ones listed here:

http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2011/07 ... u-plugins/

I haven't checked them out yet, though, so I can't recommend.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Can you use the oscilloscope in Cuemix?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
billf

Post by billf »

I don't know that particular plugin, but maybe Blue Cat's Oscilloscope will work as an option for you

http://www.pluginboutique.com/product/2 ... cope-Multi
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Phil O wrote:There are some free ones listed here:

http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2011/07 ... u-plugins/

I haven't checked them out yet, though, so I can't recommend.

Phil
Thanks, Phil.

There are a couple from that list that seem viable (for Mac). On closer inspection, one appears to still be in development, but it seems quite nice.
bayswater wrote:Can you use the oscilloscope in Cuemix?
I haven't tried that. I don't use CueMix (never have), but if I somehow could easily plug a DP output to it, and see the 32-bit oscilloscope I have there, I would certainly look into it.

Is that easy to do, Bays?
billf wrote:I don't know that particular plugin, but maybe Blue Cat's Oscilloscope will work as an option for you

http://www.pluginboutique.com/product/2 ... cope-Multi
That one looks VERY nice! A bit overkill for my needs, and not too cheap, but it's certainly tempting :)
I think I have a couple of BlueCat free plug-ins, so if I don't find anything simpler (and hopefully free), I might end up buying it from them in return.
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Used to love sMexoscope, and did use it just fine via 32 Lives, but then found another I actually like better:

Check out the FREE VPS Scope from Vengeance Sound…
http://www.vengeance-sound.com/freebies.php
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFCv9Ri1_Rg

Available as a free download from Computer Music, if you buy issue 216 or direct from Vengeance, though you'll need to own another Vengeance product to use the version that comes from their site. I got mine from CM and it works great.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

That looks great, Rick! Thanks!

Hello Vengeance!

Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

I originally got sMexoscope on recommendation from the great EDM remixer, Timothy Allan. (He did a couple good Groove 3 videos on mixing and uses 'scope throughout.) Once I found VPS, I never opened sMexoscope again. Hope you like it as much.

Cheers.......
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Rick Cornish wrote:I originally got sMexoscope on recommendation from the great EDM remixer, Timothy Allan. (He did a couple good Groove 3 videos on mixing and uses 'scope throughout.) Once I found VPS, I never opened sMexoscope again. Hope you like it as much.

Cheers.......
Ha! That's EXACTLY how I discovered sMexoscope too! :)

I'm already looking into buying the magazine issue. It contains lotsa freebies, and a couple of interesting articles.

Thanks! :woohoo:

Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Too funny! :lol:

I bought an iPad subscription to CM. They have 1-2 new plug-ins each issue, about half of which have turned out to be useful to me. They also have a nice library of other free plugs that stays pretty much the same month-to-month, along with free samples.
Rick Cornish

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

FMiguelez wrote:[
bayswater wrote:Can you use the oscilloscope in Cuemix?
I haven't tried that. I don't use CueMix (never have), but if I somehow could easily plug a DP output to it, and see the 32-bit oscilloscope I have there, I would certainly look into it.

Is that easy to do, Bays?
Open Cuemix
Go to the Devices menu and open the scope
Set the focus in the Cuemix mixer to the channel you are monitoring. Setting it to the Main Outs is easiest, and whatever is being monitored there will show up
You can set horizontal and vertical zoom levels, etc

I always have Cuemix open and hidden. It uses very little CPU and has a load of useful doodads.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Thanks for that info, Bayswater!

I will try it as soon as I go back to the studio. More studio "sorcery"! My favourite! :)

So I take it CueMix runs at 32-bits while DP at 64? I'm just not clear why DP doesn't see the plug but CueMix would?
Rick Cornish wrote:Too funny! :lol:
So Rick, how are you taming those crazy transients? Are you using a bit crusher, like Tim does? I never bothered with a bit crusher. If I just want to tame the out-of-control ones, I just slap an L-1 limiter in there.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

FMiguelez wrote:Thanks for that info, Bayswater!

I will try it as soon as I go back to the studio. More studio "sorcery"! My favourite! :)

So I take it CueMix runs at 32-bits while DP at 64? I'm just not clear why DP doesn't see the plug but CueMix would?
Rick Cornish wrote:Too funny! :lol:
So Rick, how are you taming those crazy transients? Are you using a bit crusher, like Tim does? I never bothered with a bit crusher. If I just want to tame the out-of-control ones, I just slap an L-1 limiter in there.
Sorry, I think I confused you. I'm talking about using the scope that comes with Cuemix. AFAIK Cuemix won't load any plugins because it uses the internal interface processor for effects and utilities.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Ha! I see.

Thanks for clarifying.

But I will still try your suggestion and have a look at CueMix's plug. I can't believe I've never checked them or CueMix out!

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

It's pretty awesome (cue mix) but features depend on the device you're using, so not everyone will be able to access all features.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS