Exporting stems

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
comp15
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Exporting stems

Post by comp15 »

comp15 wrote:
comp15 wrote:Does this method still stand, or is there something better:

1. The export feature for Digital Performer is pretty much the same as Pro Tools.
2. Create as many stereo audio tracks as you need stems, assign each one a different aux bus input. If some of your sessions tracks are in mono be sure to create mono audio tracks for them to create your stems.
3. Send whichever audio/instrument tracks are required for each stem to whichever stem bus using aux sends.
4. Arm all stem tracks and record all the stems in once pass.
5. Select each newly recorded stem track in the arrangement, control click on each file and choose export selected audio file. Be sure to make sure each file is exported at the same sample rate and bit depth.
6. Lastly, create a new folder, label it the name of your project then stems afterwards followed by the bpm of the song. Example ‘project_stems_bpm’. Place all exported files into the folder.
I'm stuck on #3. How do I go about creating an Aux send? I created 11 stereo audio tracks (in order to record 11 stems). Do I create an aux send for as many stereo audio tracks as I have? Then assign the output of each MIDI track to the appropriate bus?
Or do I create an Aux track for each MIDI track I have (which is 97)? I should mention every MIDI track is currently output to a channel in vienna ensemble pro (which is connected to East West Play engine). I'm not clear how to connect a MIDI track to an audio track and record a handful of stems. A tutorial is welcome on this. I haven't been able to find clear instructions on recording stems of MIDI tracks.
HARDWARE:
MAC HOST: 2.8 GHz 2010 Quad-Core Intel Xeon; Memory 32 GB OSX Ver 10.7.5
PC SLAVE: ASUS Sabertooth X79 ATX Intel Motherboard; Intel Core i7-4730K 3.2GHz Six-Core Desktop Processor; CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB Ram (8 x 8GB); Corsair Obsidian Series 900D CC-9011022--WW Black Computer Case; Steinberg UR22; Win 8.1

SAMPLE LIBRARIES (only on PC Slave): East West Hollywood Diamond libraries of Strings, Brass, Woodwinds and Percussion, Symphonic Orchestra, Pianos Platinum, Symphonic Choirs, RA
dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Exporting stems

Post by dix »

Do you want to create 11 stems or 97?

Also, when you say "MIDI track" you mean MIDI Instrument, right? What I refer to as a "MIDI track" just has the note on/off, CC data. No audio. ...assuming this, you would use the Aux sends on the VEP instance to send the audio to one of your Record enabled stem-tracks (double-clicking the send will set the send to 0db btw)
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com