Importing audio to tracks with faders in one step?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
iGirl
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Importing audio to tracks with faders in one step?

Post by iGirl »

Pardon my newbie question, but I'm testing a few different DAW possibilities and can't seem to find a one step process in DP8 that allows one to import multi-track audio (DAW transfers) and have them just show up automatically as audio tracks with original names and faders in the mixer. Instead what I got is imported individual soundbites, requiring moving them to tracks manually, and then manually adding faders.

I was only able to move soundbites one at a time into tracks one at a time, but have been told in another forum that multiple soundbites can be dragged and auto-assigned tracks in one move, but can't find the way to select all and drag drop them. Even so, AFAIK it still doesn't put faders to them.

On another system I'm testing, import does it all automatically, but I'm sure I'm missing something equivalent in DP8...
Started using Performer when it was version 1.0 !
Robert Randolph

Re: Importing audio to tracks with faders in one step?

Post by Robert Randolph »

You just drag and drop...

Here's a gif in case you're dropping in the wrong place.

Sequence window

http://i.imgur.com/vhS5PJQ.gif

Tracks overview window

http://i.imgur.com/RoniZBx.gif
Last edited by Robert Randolph on Sun May 24, 2015 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Randolph

Also make sure the settings in Preferences->Background Processing and Preferences->Audio Files are set the way you want.

You don't want DP doing any unnecessary analysis that you may not use.
iGirl

Post by iGirl »

Thanks - yes I had it out of order - I had imported and then tried dragging all from the soundbites mini menu to the tracks and it wasn't working. Dragging from the source folder was the key here!

I did also notice it's crazy slow doing all the extra unnecessary processing so good to know that can be avoided if desired.

I must have done something wrong but for some reason the audio started at measure 2257 - easily snipped. Anyway this is great - thanks again!
Robert Randolph

iGirl wrote:Thanks - yes I had it out of order - I had imported and then tried dragging all from the soundbites mini menu to the tracks and it wasn't working. Dragging from the source folder was the key here!

I did also notice it's crazy slow doing all the extra unnecessary processing so good to know that can be avoided if desired.

I must have done something wrong but for some reason the audio started at measure 2257 - easily snipped. Anyway this is great - thanks again!
It's just people using standard smpte 1 hour pre-roll. It is really annoying if you're not doing film stuff.

Is there a way to ignore origin timestamps when importing?

edit: I wrote some total nonsense here before. My brain is fried today.

edit 2: Got it. You have to set the chunk's start time to the smpte offset. Then when you import, the files will line up (assuming they were also using the 1 hour offset).

Another animated gif for the visually-inclined.

http://i.imgur.com/11iP37q.gif
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

While dragging a soundbite to the timeline, I think that holding the CTL button will force a "Snap-To-Zero" drag
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Dwetmaster wrote:While dragging a soundbite to the timeline, I think that holding the CTL button will force a "Snap-To-Zero" drag
I need to tattoo that to my hand! Thanks. :dance:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Dwetmaster wrote:While dragging a soundbite to the timeline, I think that holding the CTL button will force a "Snap-To-Zero" drag
That's one of the most useful features! But it's not really "Snap-To-Zero." It's "throw to first obstacle." If there is another soundbite in the track, it will land up against it. If not, it'll go to zero.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

That "throw to next obstacle" feature is one is use continually: an all-time fave.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Gravity Jim wrote:That "throw to next obstacle" feature is one is use continually: an all-time fave.
It's one of those features that make you wonder how you ever got along without it. For the first year or so that I used it, I'd still have to go check and make sure it worked. Now I just trust it.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Robert Randolph

This only works if you've imported into the soundbites window and created the tracks yourself it seems. It also only appears to work for 1 file to 1 track at a time. That's quite a few extra steps if you're trying to import 80 stems into DP! The method in my animated gif automatically creates the tracks and inserts the soundbites at the origin time.

If simply ctrl-dragging files from finder to the appropriate non-track area in Seq or TO, it still snaps to the file's origin time.

Any other ideas, or maybe I'm executing this wrong?

Also, where is this ctrl-drag listed in the manual? (edit: page 43 of the DP8 manual, which also seems to have an error... it says cmd/ctrl drag, and cmd does nothing. Only ctrl works.)

edit: I've tested this in a few other softwares with the exact same files just to try and get some ideas. It's really amazing how slow DP8 imports files. In the time it takes DP to import and create overview (no beat analysis) for a set of 1 hour long files... I can launch the DAW, import the files and close the DAW 3 times with 3 different DAWs. That's with beat analysis in them too! Luckily I don't do this often or that'd drive me crazy.
iGirl

Post by iGirl »

It's really amazing how slow DP8 imports files.
I noticed that too, but like you, it's not something I would be doing every day.
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

iGirl wrote:
It's really amazing how slow DP8 imports files.
I noticed that too.
Me too... unfortunately! Compared to other DAWs.
Get Real Live Drum Tracks @ http://www.hugoribeiro.com

Macbook Pro | DP 10.13 | Motu 8Pre (x2) | Apogee Duet 2
Sonor Drums | Sabian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Vater Drumsticks