Is it currently possible to assign CC to a plugin parameter?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Robert Randolph
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Is it currently possible to assign CC to a plugin parameter?

Post by Robert Randolph »

I recall that this is coming in DP9, but is it currently possible to arbitrarily assign a MIDI CC to a plugin parameter that doesn't specifically respond to MIDI on its own?
Shooshie

Re: Is it currently possible to assign CC to a plugin parame

Post by Shooshie »

Robert Randolph wrote:I recall that this is coming in DP9, but is it currently possible to arbitrarily assign a MIDI CC to a plugin parameter that doesn't specifically respond to MIDI on its own?
That's up to the plugin's developer. But you mean, will DP do it?

No.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Robert Randolph

Shooshie wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:I recall that this is coming in DP9, but is it currently possible to arbitrarily assign a MIDI CC to a plugin parameter that doesn't specifically respond to MIDI on its own?
That's up to the plugin's developer. But you mean, will DP do it?

No.

Shoosh
Alright, thank you.

For effects that do support MIDI control, how do I route MIDI to them if this is possible?
Robert Randolph

Ok, I figured out how to do it with a custom Console for an effect that declared itself as having MIDI input (Glitch 2 http://illformed.org/plugins/).

There seems to be lots of plugins I can route MIDI to in other hosts, but they do not show up as destinations in consoles. Is there another way?

edit: Man, I can not wait for learn controller in DP9.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

If the plugin has MIDI input, and if you can assign MIDI Control Change streams to the parameters you want to control, then you can do it right in the track. No need for Custom Consoles.

If you want to control it manually, while the music plays, using an onscreen interface with sliders, the Custom Consoles will generally work, but it's a 1992 technology. I don't think it's been updated since then. I've always used trial-&-error to get them to work. Once working, they usually stay working, but they only apply to one track. If you put the same console on a different track, you have to go in it and reset it for that track.

Custom Consoles are cool; I've always loved what you can do with them, but the whole thing feels incomplete. I've always wished that MOTU would make them more intuitive and self-configuring, with more choices and options. Why just use certain MIDI triggers and not others? Why just certain sources? Why not the Conductor Track as a source or target? That sort of thing.

I'd bet that you can get it working with a plugin, if it accepts MIDI CC input. I don't remember if I've ever done that.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

... and there's DP's automation engine.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Robert Randolph

Shooshie wrote:If the plugin has MIDI input, and if you can assign MIDI Control Change streams to the parameters you want to control, then you can do it right in the track. No need for Custom Consoles.

If you want to control it manually, while the music plays, using an onscreen interface with sliders, the Custom Consoles will generally work, but it's a 1992 technology. I don't think it's been updated since then. I've always used trial-&-error to get them to work. Once working, they usually stay working, but they only apply to one track. If you put the same console on a different track, you have to go in it and reset it for that track.

Custom Consoles are cool; I've always loved what you can do with them, but the whole thing feels incomplete. I've always wished that MOTU would make them more intuitive and self-configuring, with more choices and options. Why just use certain MIDI triggers and not others? Why just certain sources? Why not the Conductor Track as a source or target? That sort of thing.

I'd bet that you can get it working with a plugin, if it accepts MIDI CC input. I don't remember if I've ever done that.

Shooshie
How to you route MIDI to an effect plugin without using the console?

edit: I see one way is to setup a MIDI track that outputs to the plugin. That's a tad bit convoluted, but also somewhat neat. Any other way?
Robert Randolph

monkey man wrote:... and there's DP's automation engine.
I am trying to record complex movements from sensors to a plug-in's parameters.

I already have a set of flex, pressure and temperature sensors that I've set up to output MIDI CC. Now I just need to map it to the plugin parameters and record that.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Ah... gotcha, Robert.

That sounds awesome, mate. What a ripper!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Robert Randolph wrote:
monkey man wrote:... and there's DP's automation engine.
I am trying to record complex movements from sensors to a plug-in's parameters.

I already have a set of flex, pressure and temperature sensors that I've set up to output MIDI CC. Now I just need to map it to the plugin parameters and record that.
OK, that makes more sense. Yeah, you'd probably need the Custom Consoles for this.

Custom Consoles may be getting a face-lift and an upgrade, come DP9. I think the new "Lanes" feature is rooted somehow in them. I'm hoping they've gone in and made them do MIDI Learn, and added more options, in addition to the Lanes feature. If so, Custom Consoles could become something like Logic's Environment, or even the connections page of Plogue Bidule (or not). I'm just speculating and offering my wishful thinking, as I've always hoped for an expanded and streamlined Custom Consoles. It just seems like there is so much power in that little box; why not make it easy and more useful?

Now that I see what you're doing, I'm intrigued to know how you're going to be processing it, where it's all going. Sounds fun, anyway.

Shoosh
Robert Randolph

Shooshie, MIDI learn is definitely in DP9. They showed it at namm.

https://youtu.be/NUOM4BUOnag?t=1310

At 22minutes if the link doesn't forward you there.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Robert Randolph wrote:Shooshie, MIDI learn is definitely in DP9. They showed it at namm.

https://youtu.be/NUOM4BUOnag?t=1310

At 22minutes if the link doesn't forward you there.
You know the more I look at that setup for DP9, the more it looks like a bridge between track automation controls in a virtual plug in and MIDI CC. If that's the case this is by far the best part of DP9 for me! That is if it works with V-Racked instruments.

Seriously, this is the biggest oddity about working with V-Racks, that Track Automation is not accessible and you have to rely on the developers MIDI implementation which isn't nearly half as complete as track automation controls. I'm just hoping here, but all indication is that's how it's addressing the plug in, latching on to the track automation controls and converting it to MIDI for your controller.

I'm going way out on the speculation rim here, but it seems like this is what's going on.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

This looks like an interesting plug. Are you using the latest version?
http://illformed.com/glitch/
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Robert Randolph

Rick Cornish wrote:This looks like an interesting plug. Are you using the latest version?
http://illformed.com/glitch/
Yes I am. It works great in DP.