Thinking about getting a mastering app... What do you use?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Thinking about getting a mastering app... What do you us

Post by Phil O »

I just upgraded my iZotope Ozone to version 6. I was still on 3. This is a significant step up from version 3 IMHO. From just playing around a little, my first impression is that all the modules are much more transparent sounding. (Placebo effect? Dunno.) Also, the stand-alone version has SRC - a very nice addition. Upgrade price was $99. I don't know if they have any crossgrade offers.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Phil O wrote:I just upgraded my iZotope Ozone to version 6. I was still on 3. This is a significant step up from version 3 IMHO. From just playing around a little, my first impression is that all the modules are much more transparent sounding. (Placebo effect? Dunno.) Also, the stand-alone version has SRC - a very nice addition. Upgrade price was $99. I don't know if they have any crossgrade offers.

Phil
I started with 3 also. I miss the Reverb module but otherwise like 6 a lot. A nice feature is that you can re-order the tools easily without having Advanced – this was a hidden feature in 5, not so in 6.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

mikehalloran wrote:
Phil O wrote:I just upgraded my iZotope Ozone to version 6. I was still on 3. This is a significant step up from version 3 IMHO. From just playing around a little, my first impression is that all the modules are much more transparent sounding. (Placebo effect? Dunno.) Also, the stand-alone version has SRC - a very nice addition. Upgrade price was $99. I don't know if they have any crossgrade offers.

Phil
I started with 3 also. I miss the Reverb module but otherwise like 6 a lot. A nice feature is that you can re-order the tools easily without having Advanced – this was a hidden feature in 5, not so in 6.
When you went to O6 did you keep O5 on your system as well? I know several people that ahve done so just because of the reverb going missing in O6.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

When you went to O6 did you keep O5 on your system as well? I know several people that ahve done so just because of the reverb going missing in O6.
Oh yea, absolutely. The Room and Hall reverbs are favorites of mine and aren't found in anything else I own. I can make a living room demo sound like a live performance if the performance is up to shuff. Generally, I have to clean it in RX first, of course.

As long as Ozone 5 works, it's staying put.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
billf

Post by billf »

mikehalloran wrote:I miss the Reverb module but otherwise like 6 a lot. A nice feature is that you can re-order the tools easily without having Advanced – this was a hidden feature in 5, not so in 6.
I dislike the fact that they removed the reverb from ver. 6. I've tried using Eventide as a plugin in 6 to replace the missing reverb module, so maybe I'll get used to it. If not, I also have ver. 5 on my system.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Assuming the reverb algorithms weren't jettisoned off into space, I'm having difficulty understanding why the company would drop such a popular feature of the app / suite / plug.

Anyone have a clue what the thinking was?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote:Assuming the reverb algorithms weren't jettisoned off into space, I'm having difficulty understanding why the company would drop such a popular feature of the app / suite / plug.

Izotope wrote an essay on their decision. Reverb does not belong in mastering. At least not for the refined among us. No, I don't have a clue what the thinking was.

Designing a refined experience

One of the first hot topics to emerge, particularly after speaking with professional users, was the inclusion of a reverb in Ozone. The consensus was that a reverb feature seemed disjointed with the goals of not only the product, but of mastering audio in general. This would ultimately lead to a decision to remove the Reverb module from Ozone 6.

Traditionally iZotope has not cut features from products. Leaving a feature in, even if it diverges from a product's goal, seems easy enough — and at least the users who don't need the feature can simply ignore it. The danger in this approach, though, is that it quickly leads to bloated software. For Ozone 6, we were committed to designing a more refined experience that would guide and educate users through the various stages of mastering. From that perspective, presenting reverb as an equivalent tool alongside an equalizer and limiter did a disservice to our goals for Ozone specifically and to mastering in general.

To a similar end, we saw other features fall by the wayside as we continued down the path towards a streamlined experience. Our mission was to help our users better master their music by having easier access to the most relevant set of tools possible. This refinement process allowed us to bring a wealth of both new and established features out from hidden menus and right-clicks, so they could shine alongside the other essential Ozone tools.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
billf

Post by billf »

monkey man wrote:Assuming the reverb algorithms weren't jettisoned off into space, I'm having difficulty understanding why the company would drop such a popular feature of the app / suite / plug.

It's probably because removing key features is the modern definition of "upgrade." Less work for more money?
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Unbelievable.

I couldn't help but shake my head in disbelief whilst I read that drivel. Thank you for posting it, Bays.

My solution? Bury it in a menu if you have to; that way it won't interfere with your precious "streamlined" experience.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote:Unbelievable.

I couldn't help but shake my head in disbelief whilst I read that drivel. Thank you for posting it, Bays.

My solution? Bury it in a menu if you have to; that way it won't interfere with your precious "streamlined" experience.
There go those better educated audiophiles again. They keep popping up around here.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

billf wrote:

It's probably because removing key features is the modern definition of "upgrade." Less work for more money?
I don't have an exhaustive list but weren't there other features that were dropped in Ozone 6 besides the reverb? Amount control in individual modules I think was one.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

I personally think their new "streamlined" interface is harder to use.. less intuitive and it looks like they went with the minimalist approach for the GUI.. like Apple, with my now stupid looking iPhone.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

musicman691 wrote: I don't have an exhaustive list but weren't there other features that were dropped in Ozone 6 besides the reverb? Amount control in individual modules I think was one.
Amount control? I'm not following you.

Possibly because I use the Advanced version that breaks everything out into individual modules, I don't see what you are seeing.

One of the touted features is the ability to re-order the sequence of the tools in addition to making them active or not. Turns out that was also a feature of Ozone 5 but it was hard to find.

Weird Izotope's assertion that reverb isn't part of mastering. With acoustic recordings, it is usually my final step when I am going for the most natural sound.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Amount control is like a wet/dry percentage for each module.
billf

Post by billf »

musicman691 wrote:I don't have an exhaustive list but weren't there other features that were dropped in Ozone 6 besides the reverb? Amount control in individual modules I think was one.
I'm not sure what "amount control" folks are referring to, but here is a screen shot of Ozone 6. That looks like "amount control" to me.