Thinking about getting a mastering app... What do you use?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Thinking about getting a mastering app... What do you us

Post by mhschmieder »

The confusion arises because the terminology has changed over time, just as people have gotten more specialized in their roles and production techniques have become more formalized.

My understanding is that most people mean "CD Mastering" (i.e. for manufacturing) when they say "mastering" these days, or distinguish "audio mastering" and/or call that "pre-mastering".

I do not see a problem with using the same app to do it all, if the features are present, but I very much disagree that it's a good thing to do the mastering within the same project as the recording and mixing. If it's too easy to go back and forth, most people will have a difficult time developing proper discipline about where mixing ends and audio mastering or pre-mastering begins. VERY different mind sets are involved, different workflows, often a different room or maybe even a different computer or device hosting the session, etc.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

As I mentioned in another thread in the Recording forum just now, I finally picked up Wavelab 9.5 Pro last night due to a short-term 40% discount from Steinberg and the major strides they have made even since v9.

I think we are now four or five generations into the cross-platform version of Wavelab, and though it can smell like Apple, the way Steinberg makes such huge sea changes from release to release, this time I think they got it right and I hope they retain the new streamlined and intuitive (and flexible) interface and workflow.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Stefano has posted a pic of DSP Quattro 5 on his DSP Quattro Facebook page. "DSP Quattro-5 coming" is the text next to the picture. It has not been released yet.. no info on release date.

It is supposed to be 64-bit, finally.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

David Polich wrote:Stefano has posted a pic of DSP Quattro 5 on his DSP Quattro Facebook page. "DSP Quattro-5 coming" is the text next to the picture. It has not been released yet.. no info on release date.

It is supposed to be 64-bit, finally.
See the last page or so of this thread. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62108&p=553500&hili ... es#p553415
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

If I am not sending my mixes to a mastering engineer, I will use DP or PT, together with UAD, Slate and Izotope plug-ins mostly. I do my DDP etc. in the HOFA application.
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl