Whats best strategy for storing VIDEO files with a DP sessio

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Whats best strategy for storing VIDEO files with a DP sessio

Post by toodamnhip »

Those around here who know me, know what a pet peeve I have for archiving files properly. I am starting to branch out from music production and finally, I am making Jazz guitar videos, but I am concerned that I may have incorrectly accessed the RAW video data from inside of iPhoto.

I have never really dealt with video in all of my yrs of DP experience and now that I am, I am noticing that after importing the video INTO DP, it’s location lies inside of my iPhotos library still. (That’s where I imported it from).

I am looking for advise as to how to archive and perhaps be more technically correct in dealing with video files in the future?
Something tells me I should have dragged a copy of the RAW video INTO a folder INSIDE DPs folder so that the RAW audio is stored WITH the DP file when archiving?
I am not too thrilled with separating my video from the DP file when archiving. (i.e.-DP being in it;s own folder, and RAW video being in iPhoto).
Any tips as to the best way to access, store and archive video data with DP would be appreciated.

And for those interested, here is a link to my youtube channel if you like Jazz guitar. -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtCvAhO ... IdPZ5H1O51
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Gravity Jim

Re: Whats best strategy for storing VIDEO files with a DP se

Post by Gravity Jim »

Keep them in the project folder? That's what I do.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
sndmarks

Post by sndmarks »

I keep em on a separate drive just for video while working.

For archiving, the video(s) go in a Video Folder within the Project Archive Master Folder. Others include Cues/Sessions (production dp sessions), Early ideas (early sketch, rejected ideas DP sessions), Images, Contracts, Delivery, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
MacPro Nehalem 8core (2x3.33ghz, 64gb RAM, 10.11, Radeon 5770, NVIDIA GT120), DP 9.12
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

sndmarks wrote:I keep em on a separate drive just for video while working.

For archiving, the video(s) go in a Video Folder within the Project Archive Master Folder. Others include Cues/Sessions (production dp sessions), Early ideas (early sketch, rejected ideas DP sessions), Images, Contracts, Delivery, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Well here’s my question. If you start with the raw video on a “video drive”, importing it into DP and finishing the project on it, and then later move that video to the DP master folder. In the future, if you direct DP to the changed folder, will the moved video play in the same time spot etc///(if the original video file has not been altered but only moved to a different folder?)
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
frankf

Post by frankf »

I do basically what sndmark does but to answer you question, I suggest always noting the Movie start time and file name somewhere in the project file. But if DP can't find the video it will ask where it is. If you're using SSDs for projects you can put the video file in the project folder knowing that it can take up a lot of space. If using spinners video should definitely go on a unique drive. I've also used RAM drives with great success, with a routine which creates a RAM disk and copies the appropriate video file to RAM. I never use raw video with DP for scoring btw. QT h264 even MP4 work fine
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I'm out of my element here, guys, but would a Startup Clipping file be useful for this? Store the video in the Startup Clipping folder, perhaps.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
frankf

Post by frankf »

Interesting, I've never tried it. DP saves the video file(s)' name and path with the project and will ask where they are if you've moved them. Clippings will do the same, no? I'll have to test this.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Gravity Jim wrote:Keep them in the project folder? That's what I do.
+1
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

This may sound like a no brainer, but man have my file sizes gone up since recording video!! lol. I’ve been wanting to buy some new back up drives and putting it off for awhile. I think it’s time to buy some drives. Anyone have a favorite back up drive deal? I suspect as many terabytes as possible would be good.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Well... what drives to use is a whole other can 'o worms, but strategy on archiving video to save space is another.

If I get s hi-res (read: large) video(s) or reels to work with I will routinely dumb them down to a much smaller size while scoring. It makes no sense to run fully res video in scoring and sound design. It only slows the system and drive access. Let the video editor deal with precision visuals. I don't mind a lower res visual and it usually still looks pretty good on a monitor in the studio.

Once the project is done, it's a good idea to archive to a hard media like DVD with the full res finished product. A lot of times commercial projects will be on a DVD anyway. Just ask the producer for an extra copy and keep the various DVDs or files of movies in a folder for future reference. Again, no need to clog up hard drives with hi res work prints.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS