Takefile names in DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Takefile names in DP

Post by Shooshie »

Up until May 21, 2014, the takefile names gave me fairly useful information, in a short enough format that it didn't make the column too wide. Then at 8:44 pm, May 21 of last year, it started naming everything "Takefile Reason.Channel xx--xx," where xx equals channel and take numbers. While I know where you set up the basis for take-names (Audio Monitor / Mini-Menu), I cannot find any reason why this changed. Anyone have a good guess? If it's Rewire, I haven't used it in several years; probably as far back as 2010, when I was last messing with Plogue Bidule. That wouldn't explain why it changed in 2015.

Also, does anyone know how to change the names of audio files in bulk, without losing the soundbites' places in the project? I've never had to do that before. I guess there's no real harm in leaving them, but they sure take up a lot of space in list columns.

Shooshie

|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
stubbsonic

Re: Takefile names in DP

Post by stubbsonic »

I can't directly answer your questions. I've just used the option-click in any of the columns to rename. As far as bulk renaming, I think you need to look to QK for a solution. Especially if you can work out a routine to paste a string and an incrementing number.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
frankf

Takefile names in DP

Post by frankf »

Shoeshine,
You're showing Soundbites names in your snapshot right, not file names? And you want to change the file names in bulk? You can change file names in bulk in the finder with A Better Finder Rename. Soundbites do not lose reference to their parent audio file. If you've only a few audio file names to change, you can do it from the SB Window by option clicking on the audio file name. I know of no way of bulk changing SB names. Also you can show the SB's parent file in the finder by selecting the SB and hitting opt-r. This works in Tracks, SB, Sequence and Event windows. I didn't try the Waveform Editor

Looks like you have Audio Monitor mini menu>base name on set to Input, which gives me similar naming schemes. I leave the option set to Track.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

But if you renamed the files outside DP, would DP have trouble locating the files?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

frankf wrote:Shoeshine,
You're showing Soundbites names in your snapshot right, not file names? And you want to change the file names in bulk? You can change file names in bulk in the finder with A Better Finder Rename. Soundbites do not lose reference to their parent audio file. If you've only a few audio file names to change, you can do it from the SB Window by option clicking on the audio file name. I know of no way of bulk changing SB names. Also you can show the SB's parent file in the finder by selecting the SB and hitting opt-r. This works in Tracks, SB, Sequence and Event windows. I didn't try the Waveform Editor
Great idea. Thanks, Frank.
frankf wrote: Looks like you have Audio Monitor mini menu>base name on set to Input, which gives me similar naming schemes. I leave the option set to Track.
When I found it, it was set on "Custom." Again, I don't know how it got that way. I reset it to Track.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Shoeshine? :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

James Steele wrote:Shoeshine? :)
Ah yes, Frank and I have a special sort of relationship, you see... I set up my little stand down by the elevators to his building, and while I'm putting the spit & polish on his footwear, he tells me the latest DP tricks to pass on in this forum. I just have to remember not to chew the tobaccy before spitting.

Shoosh
frankf

Post by frankf »

Auto spell correct has its moments :) I'll look for you downstairs.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Shooshie wrote:When I found it, it was set on "Custom." Again, I don't know how it got that way. I reset it to Track.

Shoosh
I had this happen to me, and for the life of me I can't figure out how.
frankf wrote:Auto spell correct has its moments :) I'll look for you downstairs.
Indeed it does. My worst offense was when dictating to my iPhone. I suggested Ricola for a singer with a scratchy throat and it came out ebola. :oops:

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.