Reverb suggestions

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Killahurts
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Reverb suggestions

Post by Killahurts »

Didn't see anyone post about 2C Audio's Aether. It's an algo, not convolution, but it has a very rich sound and more tweakin' buttons and such than you've ever seen. Plus, it has an incredible number of presets, and they're all categorized in a browser. It's not my go-to verb (I have most of them) but it has a unique sound that is sometimes just perfect for a mix.

My destiny as one of the Kings of reverberation began in the late 70's when I heard Vangelis using 8-10 second long springs and plates, very deeply saturated, and applied to everything. Then he acquired the legendary 224- I believe he purchased the first 2 of those Lexicon made available. For reference, listen to the Bladerunner soundtrack. I HAD to get that sound, and the engineers at the recording studios I frequented would scratch their head and even laugh at me for going in to the 224s and turning them practically all the way up, then telling them to "sink" stuff into it. My bandmates thought I was insane. But it sounded damn good.

My usual V-Rack FX include Lex PCM, Relab's 480L, UAD's Lex 224, Altiverb, Aether, and now the new most excellent Eventide Ultra verb. I've set every one up by hand, a couple from the ground up. I have a vast "space palette" with so many different colors.. hard to describe.. I cannot say which is used most often, but my favorite is the 224, because UA did such a great job with it. If I could only have one? Altiverb, because it's so versatile, and because if I want the strings to sound like a Star Trek episode, I simply pull up the Paramount soundstage and go! :mrgreen:
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
wdegillio

Post by wdegillio »

Funny you mention that... I don't have Aether, but I use it's little brother Breeze quite a bit. It's not as flexible as Aether, but it's quite versatile and sounds great. I don't know if you had this issue, but I couldn't get Breeze to function in mono aux sends. There is a workaround- it seems Breeze needs to see a stereo input (it cannot function as mono in-stereo out), so I put a stereo delay in the aux slot before it with its mix set to 100% dry- then it functions! (Aether may not have this issue-I've never used it.)
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzYInT ... 53N-Rs3c-g
Instagram - billgdegillio

2012 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i7 (6.2)* 16 gigs RAM* OS 10.15.7* DP 11.22* MOTU M4* Scuffham S-Gear* Sibelius 8*
Xfer Records Serum & Nerve* u-he Zebra2 & Hive* NI Komplete 13* Korg Legacy Collection*
M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61* Presonus Central Station* Dynaudio BM5a* Rode NTH-100 & Grado SR225 Headphones
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

FWIW, I refuse to purchase 2CAudio's products, however brilliant they may be, because of their awful license transfer policy.

You must pay 20% of the cost of the license, and then the license becomes NFR. Absolutely ridiculous, and outright illegal in many countries. The transfer fee is not a big deal, but making the license NFR after paying to transfer it is too much.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Michael Canavan wrote: Order isn't processed yet, but I'll chime in with my subjective opinion when I've played around with it long enough to form one. :)
Please do, Michael!
Killahurts wrote:Altiverb, because it's so versatile, and because if I want the strings to sound like a Star Trek episode, I simply pull up the Paramount soundstage and go! :mrgreen:
Couldn't you just play 'em through your TV speakers, Killa? LOL

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Robert Randolph wrote:FWIW, I refuse to purchase 2CAudio's products, however brilliant they may be, because of their awful license transfer policy.

You must pay 20% of the cost of the license, and then the license becomes NFR. Absolutely ridiculous, and outright illegal in many countries. The transfer fee is not a big deal, but making the license NFR after paying to transfer it is too much.
Does NFR = not for resale? If not, what?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

mikehalloran wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:FWIW, I refuse to purchase 2CAudio's products, however brilliant they may be, because of their awful license transfer policy.

Does NFR = not for resale? If not, what?
Exactly. Often used for product given away at trade shows or educational product. It's a way for a company to try and limit loss of sales.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Interesting. I have never heard of this and I have been in licensing for over twenty years. It is my day job.

Dare I ask in what countries is this practice of companies not allowing their licenses to be resold may be illegal? You are certainly not talking about the U.S.A.

Do I take it you don't buy from iTunes either?
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

You'll see NFR on a some software provided at large discounts or for free for training or promotion. I got an educational version of Office for $5. It was NFR. Pops up a lot on Windows too. There is or was an NFR version. I'm sure you've seen it. There's loads of NFR stuff out there. And an interesting rants http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mssmallbiz/arch ... 85039.aspx.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Robert Randolph

Dare I ask in what countries is this practice of companies not allowing their licenses to be resold may be illegal? You are certainly not talking about the U.S.A.
It's not allowed in the EU for instance.
Do I take it you don't buy from iTunes either?
No, I only purchase music on physical media, mostly vinyl. That is irrelevant anyway, as my reasons don't extend to resale.

I don't as much mind the license becoming NFR or the 20% fee. The fact that they force you to pay a fee and make the software NFR is far too much. I understand that software developers need to protect their market since software is non-degradable, but there comes a limit where it becomes irresponsible to invest in a product that loses a significant amount of its market value upon purchase. I think 2CAudio have crossed that line.

In the end it's my choice, but I think it's a policy that people should be aware of before they invest in the software.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:You'll see NFR on a some software provided at large discounts or for free for training or promotion. I got an educational version of Office for $5. It was NFR. Pops up a lot on Windows too. There is or was an NFR version. I'm sure you've seen it. There's loads of NFR stuff out there. And an interesting rants http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mssmallbiz/arch ... 85039.aspx.
Of course -- anyone looking at software bundled with hardware sees that. I wasn't familiar with the acronym, that's all -- I've always seen it spelled out.

The rant about companies imposing conditions on their licensees is what puzzles me -- seeing as all licenses impose conditions. Most don't allow a transfer under any condition. One that allows a one-time transfer on payment of a 20% fee seems to me to be pretty generous. I wasn't being facetious when I mentioned iTunes.

Although not software, the licenses my company issues are not transferable. Neither were those from my last two employers. The company I worked for in the 1990s did allow it on paying a 50% fee but imposed many conditions and subsequent transfer was not allowed.

There are some that allow transfers. Izotope is one of you ask in writing and follow their instructions.
Robert Randolph

mikehalloran wrote:
bayswater wrote:You'll see NFR on a some software provided at large discounts or for free for training or promotion. I got an educational version of Office for $5. It was NFR. Pops up a lot on Windows too. There is or was an NFR version. I'm sure you've seen it. There's loads of NFR stuff out there. And an interesting rants http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mssmallbiz/arch ... 85039.aspx.
Of course -- anyone looking at software bundled with hardware sees that. I wasn't familiar with the acronym, that's all -- I've always seen it spelled out.

The rant about companies imposing conditions on their licensees is what puzzles me -- seeing as all licenses impose conditions. Most don't allow a transfer under any condition. One that allows a one-time transfer on payment of a 20% fee seems to me to be pretty generous. I wasn't being facetious when I mentioned iTunes.

Although not software, the licenses my company issues are not transferable. Neither were those from my last two employers. The company I worked for in the 1990s did allow it on paying a 50% fee but imposed many conditions and subsequent transfer was not allowed.

There are some that allow transfers. Izotope is one of you ask in writing and follow their instructions.
Most plug-in companies actually allow transfers. There are busy second-hand markets for plugins (see kvr's marketplace). Fees for transfer are fairly common these days, but restrictions+fees are relatively rare.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Got a note from Sweetwater this morning about this Lexicon plug on sale for $49.95, which seems like a good deal, if you like the Lex sound.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MPXNatRev-e
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Dammit Rick. I have a feeling you're about to cost me $50! :P
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Yeah, James.....I'm right there with ya'. The reviews on Sweetwater's site sold me.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Rick Cornish wrote:Yeah, James.....I'm right there with ya'. The reviews on Sweetwater's site sold me.
Looks like they're doing the entire line of the Lexicon plugs for 50% off:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search. ... icon-50off
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!