Reverb suggestions

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dewdman42
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Reverb suggestions

Post by dewdman42 »

I wouldn't say I'm starved per say, but I do try to watch it whenever I can.

Reverberate Core sounds like maybe a good starting place for me, its only $50. Looks like it includes quite a bit of sonic tweaking that is not provided even with Altiverb...which I like a lot. Chorus, Extensive EQ, combining multiple IR's at once, Envelops, modulations, etc. The chorus and other modulation capabilities are particularly interesting to me. I realize I could probably accomplish the same thing by chaining several instances of proverb with other FX plugins...and in fact most of the benefit of Reverberate could probably be accomplished that way by chaining other effects after the convolution. With reverberate its all built into one plugin with the ability to save presets. Unless i'm missing something else about it?

Whereas this new Fusion-IR is truly something new at the convolution level, that much is clear...

From what I can tell one benefit of Altiverb...is that it has their IR's neatly organized with mic distances and such so that you can quickly and easily place instruments in a 3D spatial field by using the cleanly organized IR's from the same rooms. This, on top of the fact that everyone says their IR's are very very good. That is clearly the main advantage of Altiverb...but even after all these years of lusting over it..I still can't justify spending that much, I am just not enough of a pro like some of you.

Anyone know much about some of the other plugins out there like Fog something er other, IQ-verb, etc.?
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
Henry Robinett

Reverb suggestions

Post by Henry Robinett »

What? I'm late but Altiverb for me. If I'm in 44.1 which I rarely am I like to also use my PCM 91. Sometimes I also use UAD Plate 140.
Last edited by Henry Robinett on Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
SMS

Post by SMS »

Valhalla Room and Reverberate do everything I need and are so reasonable priced.. Amazing compared to what was available even a couple of years ago.
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

I'm late to this thread but I'll add my two cents if that's ok.

For orchestral mixing:

I mix dry and wet libs just like everyone else. For early reflections I've tried QL Spaces, MIR, VSS, Vienna Suite, Pro Verb, and Waves IR1. Love AltiVerb but don't own it.

Obviously MIR (does spot, stage and hall), and VSS (close and ER only) are easy to use (sort of), but MIR does not have a Decca Tree. VSS does (I made the Cinematic Strings presets thank you!). MIR and VSS can place instruments right and left and the z-axis (depth). You can use these and then remove the eq and color settings which are only meant for VSL libs. I must say some people hate MIR. If you listen to Guy Bacos on the VSL site a lot of those demos were done before MIR. it takes a wile to get "good" with MIR, but VSS is a very good close mic, ER sound and placement plugin. Try the demo!

ProVerb is great especially with all of the IRs available to us these day. I could mix completely with ProVerb if I wanted to. Would be nice to have PowerPan to use with it. QL Spaces still has a lot of worth, San Francisco Symphony Hall and Burbank sound great. Waves IR-1 is good but I think it's a better teacher of learning to how to use convolution reverb (especially with the really good manual).

I like AltiVerb very much even in late 2015, but Vienna Suite is still very very good. Before I even mention the two reverbs, for the price you get PowerPan, their very good Convolution Reverb and the amazing Hybrid Reverb (plus two eqs, an exciter, a compressor, a multi band comp, a limiter, a metering plugin, and my favorite analyzer). You get a lot with Vienna Suite - the EQ comes with instrument resonant EQ presets which have band preset for an instrument's fundamental tone and harmonics. PowerPan is also a secret tool for the master bus.

But the extra goodie available for Vienna Suite is FORTI and SERTI. FORTI comes with EQ IRs, high pass IRs, stage depth and audience listening position IRs, and Film String IRs. VS's Convolution Reverb can load any IR, has good controls for Pre-delay, start and length, reverse, low and hi pass, an eq, decollelation controls, pan (a way of drawing the modulation rate and depth).

About FORTI and SERTI. They were created by Ernest Cholakis (sound familiar?), he created DP's Groove Quantize DNA templates and LASS's original ER and Tail IRs. I've had the honor of getting to know him over the last year via phone calls. He talked a lot about convolution, and really pushed the potential of using convolution as EQs. We made some good IRs that made a fretless bass sound like an upright in totally convincing fashion. he's a very smart guys. Check out his site numericalsound.com. He's got a really cool product coming soon that could make a big dent in the realism of MIDI orchestration.

Ok, Sorry for the long one.

For ER: Vienna Suite, then MIR or Altiverb, and third is VSS.

For Tail: Vienna Suite stuff is great again! But for a separate product Valhalla Room and Shimmer! Maybe Sparkverb, or any of the Lexicon emulations.

For sound design: Aether, B2, ProVerb, ReMatrix and Speakerphone!

For rock band stuff, the convos are Wave IR1, AltiVerb, Proverb, Spaces for ER, and for algo verbs IK Multimedia Reverbs, Waves TrueVerb and RVerb, NI's RC24 and 48, VSL MIRacle, ToneBuster Reverb, ERS Empty 250 (free) all do well for the room or club.

That's my 75 cents.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

All the great details that Steve just said, plus ... SPAT !!!
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

In the past I would have written a long post about Altiverb, and perhaps some of the newer contenders that people have told me about recently. But I'm here today to say that I just mixed some songs with MOTU's old Plate Reverb, and the artist and I could not be happier. Maybe the music just called for it. I don't know; I had thrown it on for tracking just as a light reverb that could take a small buffer. We got used to it, perhaps. Whatever the case, everything else now sounds wrong!

Was it a one-time-thing? I have no idea at this point, but it sure sounded good on the songs we mixed.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
SMS

Post by SMS »

I, too have many times just used the MOTU plate as well as an old free TC M30 'verb- very simple, but just what's needed sometimes.
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Shooshie wrote:In the past I would have written a long post about Altiverb, and perhaps some of the newer contenders that people have told me about recently. But I'm here today to say that I just mixed some songs with MOTU's old Plate Reverb, and the artist and I could not be happier. Maybe the music just called for it. I don't know; I had thrown it on for tracking just as a light reverb that could take a small buffer. We got used to it, perhaps. Whatever the case, everything else now sounds wrong!

Was it a one-time-thing? I have no idea at this point, but it sure sounded good on the songs we mixed.

Shooshie
Will have to check out the MOTU plate reverb; I'm a sucker for a good plate 'verb on drums. It's still in DP9 right?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Will have to check out the MOTU plate reverb; I'm a sucker for a good plate 'verb on drums. It's still in DP9 right?
Oh yea. MOTU sometimes rearranges features or hides them where you can't find them without help but they don't drop them.

Apple, are you listening?

The MOTU plate is one of those I reach for. Certain vocals sound great with it and it's got that sound for drums.

One of my go-to reverbs is still Ozone 5 Advanced. I work with acoustic performers a lot. The Room and Small Hall can often make a living room demo sound like a live performance. Nothing else I have quite pulls that off. Oh I could make something else work, no doubt, but why when I have a tool that works with very little tweaking? I'm glad it still works but not happy that Izotope dropped it from later versions. If they spun it off for a reasonable price as a stand alone, I'd consider buying (as long as it wasn't redundant, of course).
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
4leafplanet

Post by 4leafplanet »

I recently purchased ValhallaPlate and its amazing. highly recommended. demo it.

plus, Altiverb 6 is still going strong here...
DP7.24, MacbookPro7.1, (C2D, 2.4GHz, 1 Processor, 8GB Memory, Bus Speed 1.07, L2 Cache 3Mb,) SnowLeopard, FireFace 800, MCU, MidiSport4x4, LaCie d2 HDs using FW800, SitecomUSB2.0 powered hub, Casio Privia PX-310 electric piano.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

SMS wrote:Valhalla Room and Reverberate do everything I need and are so reasonable priced.. Amazing compared to what was available even a couple of years ago.
Have you tried Reverberate 2? Everything the original was and much more with the new Fusion process/ir's. There's so much more movement and depth in the sound that if you swap out using the regular Reverberate process for the same preset with the Fusion process you end up backing off the mix of the reverb into the chain. It's that full of a sound.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Reverberate 2 is great, but I really struggled with their process for installing the Fusion IR's.
It took several goes, and several emails to their support people to get it sorted out.

They need to work on their installer program to sort that out.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

BKK-OZ wrote:Reverberate 2 is great, but I really struggled with their process for installing the Fusion IR's.
It took several goes, and several emails to their support people to get it sorted out.

They need to work on their installer program to sort that out.
May I ask what problems you had? I did the upgrade when they dropped the price for a short time a couple of weeks after they introduced R2. The installer they had worked just fine in both OSX 10.9.5 and OSX 10.9.5. Had to pay attention to what I was doing but it ran fine. I know they say for at least PT users to run PT first to populate the ir folders and then install the Fusion ir's. Did you have issue with both Fusion ir packages or just one?

The only issue I had was for some reason the last OSX update I did for the Mavericks partition turned sandboxing back on and kicked it out but once I figured that out - clear sailing.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

The problem I have is in getting the Fusion IRs (both banks) to show up in the menu where they are supposed to be. No matter what I do, I cannot get the banks to show up in Saved Banks>Fusion IRs.

All I get is Saved Banks>Fusion IRs>Download Fusion IRs.

I have both banks in:
Library>Audio>Impulse Responses>LiquidSonics>Banks
and
Library>Audio>Impulse Responses>LiquidSonics>Banks
Users>BK>Library>Audio>Impulse Responses>LiquidSonics>Banks
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

While LiquidSonics have been good about responding, they haven't figured out why I am having a problem.

Their last email told me to read the manual.
Not best pleased with that.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku