Reverb suggestions

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
musicman691

Re: Reverb suggestions

Post by musicman691 »

James Steele wrote:For better or worse some of us are musicians and not accountants and keep plugs around because we may use them, or there may be a future upgrade we like. I have a bunch of guitars I better go sell.
If you have a Telecaster with the comfort cut back I'm in the market :wink:
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Michael Canavan »

James Steele wrote:For better or worse some of us are musicians and not accountants and keep plugs around because we may use them, or there may be a future upgrade we like. I have a bunch of guitars I better go sell.
Or you could be like me and take forever to buy anything priced over $50. I've wanted Altiverb for about 15 years, and finally got it the other week. Hard to pay as much for a reverb as I did for DP, but I don't regret it. I pine over every purchase, so I don't sell software that often.

My primary instrument is guitar and I still own only one electric, a 78 Les Paul Pro. I really do like Gibsons, but the whole debacle with Opcode sours me from buying any more of them. I had an early 70's black Gibson Les Paul Custom until it was stolen from an apartment I lived at, paid $400 for it in 87, those things don't go for less than 5k today...
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

We don't really want to start a "guitars that got away" thread so we? :) I've been burgled but also sold some guitars that I wish to hell I'd kept. :(
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

James Steele wrote:We don't really want to start a "guitars that got away" thread so we? :) I've been burgled but also sold some guitars that I wish to hell I'd kept. :(
yep, or in my case, a relative saying they were going to give me their 62 Martin they never play, and deciding to wait until they die... :cry:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

Does that Lexicon MPX Native Reverb Plug-in require an actual hardware iLok or can you do the iLok Manager direct-to-computer method?

Babz
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Babz wrote:Does that Lexicon MPX Native Reverb Plug-in require an actual hardware iLok or can you do the iLok Manager direct-to-computer method?

Babz
I just launched my iLok License Manager app, and it appears that you must have either a 1st or 2nd generation hardware iLok. It does not install directly to computer.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
SMS

Post by SMS »

Thanks for the Reverberate and Valhalla tips- bought 'em both and am very happy!

One thing bugs me about plugins in general. If you use them on a aux with send from multiple tracks (pretty common for 'verb!), you likely want to set it to 100% wet, but when you switch presets, that setting is reset. What's the logic for storing that setting as part of a preset, and is there any workaround? it seems like an odd choice especially for a high end reverb which is more likely to not be used on every track that wants reverb.

Always wondered... Thanks

:?:
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

SMS wrote:Thanks for the Reverberate and Valhalla tips- bought 'em both and am very happy!

One thing bugs me about plugins in general. If you use them on a aux with send from multiple tracks (pretty common for 'verb!), you likely want to set it to 100% wet, but when you switch presets, that setting is reset. What's the logic for storing that setting as part of a preset, and is there any workaround? it seems like an odd choice especially for a high end reverb which is more likely to not be used on every track that wants reverb.

'Tis baffling for sure. But that's one good thing in Eventide Ultrareverb - they have two sets of presets. One for use as an insert and one for use on a bus.
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

SMS wrote:Thanks for the Reverberate and Valhalla tips- bought 'em both and am very happy!

Actually with the Valhallas you can click on 'Mix' (top of 1st column on the left) and it will gray out and then not change when you change presets, at least for the current session.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

With reverberate you can click the little lock by the gain or mix. That will lock the setting while browsing presets.

Valhalla was already mentioned.

:rtfmmad: :headbang: :koolaid:
SMS

Post by SMS »

thanks!
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

So what specifically do people like about other convolution reverbs compared to ProVerb...excluding proprietary IR libs which are included with some of them such as Altiverb. For example, a lot of people talk about Reverberate. But if ProVerb can pretty much do what Reverberate can do, neither one of them having very much of an IR library to speak of..they have a bit of stuff, but certainly not like Altiverb. But if Reverberate breathes new life into stale old free IR's, might be worth it. I"m curious about the modulation and true stereo features of Reverberate compared to the simple IR handling of Proverb.

How does proverb compare to say Reflektor, which is included in mini form within GuitarRig?

I don't really care about comparing it to other free or cheap stuff that does about the same thing as Proverb. Might as well use Proverb. But just wondering how some of these other offering out there improve upon the convolution handling in some way superior to Proverb, without regards to IR's...in other words...assuming we took the same IR and used it on both products, what would some other software do better or differently then Proverb?
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

dewdman42 wrote:So what specifically do people like about other convolution reverbs compared to ProVerb...excluding proprietary IR libs which are included with some of them such as Altiverb. For example, a lot of people talk about Reverberate. But if ProVerb can pretty much do what Reverberate can do, neither one of them having very much of an IR library to speak of..they have a bit of stuff, but certainly not like Altiverb. But if Reverberate breathes new life into stale old free IR's, might be worth it. I"m curious about the modulation and true stereo features of Reverberate compared to the simple IR handling of Proverb.

How does proverb compare to say Reflektor, which is included in mini form within GuitarRig?

I don't really care about comparing it to other free or cheap stuff that does about the same thing as Proverb. Might as well use Proverb. But just wondering how some of these other offering out there improve upon the convolution handling in some way superior to Proverb, without regards to IR's...in other words...assuming we took the same IR and used it on both products, what would some other software do better or differently then Proverb?
Proverb can't begin to do what the original Reverberate can do; Reverberate is so deep and it's a shame a lot of people don't go further than the ir pages. The modulation possibilities are enormous. And now there's Reverberate 2 with the new Fusion ir's. Rather than I go on and on about it I'd suggest hopping over to the Liquidsonics website and having a look. I even think there's a fully functional demo available.

And Reflektor - it's only available in Guitar Rig; there is no standalone version. You can buy it but it runs inside GR5 and is not stock in GR5. It's okay but Reverberate is way better, not to mention UltraReverb from Eventide.

I'm not knocking ProVerb by any means and I do use it on occasion but after spending some time with it it's not my go-to reverb. I find myself more comfortable with either UltraReverb or Reverberate (haven't purchased the version 2 yet).

Certainly neither Reverberate nor ProVerb have loads of ir's but there are plenty available out on the net that are free. That's how I've managed to amass somewheres in the thousands of ir's; I even have a couple of ir libraries I paid for.
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

The modulation capabilities of Reverberate are extremely interesting to me. I guess the new Fusion-IR thing will only make sense with their proprietary IR's, is that correct? I suppose I can also do post verb modulation by chaining another plugin after Proverb and getting similar results as reverberate...but I will have to mess with theirs to see how it sounds.

A lot of you guys keep mentioning UltraVerb, but I can't justify the price, plus I'm really trying hard to avoid any dongled software. If it ever goes on sale again I might try to pick it up notwithstanding. I use CSR for non-convolution, and makes some pretty nice sound.

So anyway back to convo, from the sounds of it, most of the various convolution reverbs are pretty simple in terms of tweaking the sound, relying on the IR's themselves to deliver most of the sound. In the case of Reverberate, due to the Modulation, sounds like it can provide a bit more movement in the reverb if desired. Anything else it adds? One thing I definitely don't like about Proverb is that I have to duplicate all my IR's to their format through import, wasting drive space.

Any other convolution verbs that have ways of adding extra spice to the sound beyond what the IR's do on their own? Does altiverb provide any additional tweaking that way?
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

dewdman42 wrote:The modulation capabilities of Reverberate are extremely interesting to me. I guess the new Fusion-IR thing will only make sense with their proprietary IR's, is that correct? I suppose I can also do post verb modulation by chaining another plugin after Proverb and getting similar results as reverberate...but I will have to mess with theirs to see how it sounds.

A lot of you guys keep mentioning UltraVerb, but I can't justify the price, plus I'm really trying hard to avoid any dongled software. If it ever goes on sale again I might try to pick it up notwithstanding. I use CSR for non-convolution, and makes some pretty nice sound.

So anyway back to convo, from the sounds of it, most of the various convolution reverbs are pretty simple in terms of tweaking the sound, relying on the IR's themselves to deliver most of the sound. In the case of Reverberate, due to the Modulation, sounds like it can provide a bit more movement in the reverb if desired. Anything else it adds? One thing I definitely don't like about Proverb is that I have to duplicate all my IR's to their format through import, wasting drive space.

Any other convolution verbs that have ways of adding extra spice to the sound beyond what the IR's do on their own? Does altiverb provide any additional tweaking that way?
Reverberate 2 still has all the modulation capabilities that the original does and yes the Fusion deal only works with special ir's but they have a couple of downloads right now that will work with the Fusion process and more are on the way.

As to duplicating ir's to the ProVerb format - unless you're starved for disk space I wouldn't worry about it (then again my boot drive where I have the ir's is split into two partitions so I can run OSX 10.8.5 and OSX 10.9.5 as I need to).