Reverb suggestions

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Reverb suggestions

Post by James Steele »

Rick Cornish wrote:Yeah, James.....I'm right there with ya'. The reviews on Sweetwater's site sold me.
Sold me too. I popped for the $50. Still waiting for fulfillment though with the electronic delivery. I used PayPal. Maybe that's slower? They claim within minutes... but it's been a while.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Yes–Sweetwater's "Easy Download" doesn't work as advertised.

If you received an e-mail with your activation code (I got mine within minutes of doing the purchase—though I did mine with the CC I have on file with them), you can just go here…
http://www.lexiconpro.com/en-US/support ... gistration
…and register. Then you'll see a download link for the product.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Rick Cornish wrote:Yes–Sweetwater's "Easy Download" doesn't work as advertised.

If you received an e-mail with your activation code (I got mine within minutes of doing the purchase—though I did mine with the CC I have on file with them), you can just go here…
http://www.lexiconpro.com/en-US/support ... gistration
…and register. Then you'll see a download link for the product.
I got it. The delay was partly my fault. The check out procedure was confusing. I got taken to a page that presented all sorts of shipping options at the top and took up a good deal of real estate. There didn't appear to be an "electronic delivery" option, so I thought I had to select one, assuming maybe it was my default for future preferences or whatever.

I called Sweetwater after about an hour and a half, and it turns out that all those it seems go to your sales engineer who has to do something with it to put it through. It's not truly automatic. The guy who I spoke with said my guy wasn't there and he would process it. I got the activation code in email, launched iLok manager, and Bob's my uncle! :)

And you're right. I'm digging this thing. Have a lot of fun with this on vocals so far. :)

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

And you're right. I'm digging this thing. Have a lot of fun with this on vocals so far. :)
Brings me back to the old days. Big console. Tape machine. And the Lexi 224 was the coolest new thing ever. I think we put it on everything. (Oops—my age is showing.) Sounds just like it without the noise.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Rick Cornish wrote:
Brings me back to the old days. Big console. Tape machine. And the Lexi 224 was the coolest new thing ever. I think we put it on everything. (Oops—my age is showing.) Sounds just like it without the noise.
Yeah... I have a UAD-2 DUO and UA is selling a 224 emulation I believe, but it's pricey. Plus, I'm not keen on spending more money on plugs that require a card, given that new Macs don't have slots. Every UAD plug-in I'll buy will be stranded one day, unless I fork over for new UA hardware like a Satellite or Apollo.

I also remember the big console days, mixing down in realtime sans automation to 1/2" analog tape... using board tape with little marks for various levels and then having two, sometimes three pairs of hands to work faders or crank a send knob at just the right time, etc. And if someone messed up, you had to rewind and try again from the beginning. :)

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

James Steele wrote:I also remember the big console days, mixing down in realtime sans automation to 1/2" analog tape... using board tape with little marks for various levels and then having two, sometimes three pairs of hands to work faders or crank a send knob at just the right time, etc. And if someone messed up, you had to rewind and try again from the beginning. :)
I'm reasonably certain that the party game, Twister, was invented in a studio control room! I remember those days in the studio fondly, especially when one or more owners of those hands happened to be of the fair sex.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Shooshie wrote:
James Steele wrote:I also remember the big console days, mixing down in realtime sans automation to 1/2" analog tape... using board tape with little marks for various levels and then having two, sometimes three pairs of hands to work faders or crank a send knob at just the right time, etc. And if someone messed up, you had to rewind and try again from the beginning. :)
I'm reasonably certain that the party game, Twister, was invented in a studio control room! I remember those days in the studio fondly, especially when one or more owners of those hands happened to be of the fair sex.

Shoosh
I look upon those days, reminisce and realize ... that I don't miss them at all.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

mikehalloran wrote:I'm reasonably certain that the party game, Twister, was invented in a studio control room! I remember those days in the studio fondly, especially when one or more owners of those hands happened to be of the fair sex.

Shoosh
I look upon those days, reminisce and realize ... that I don't miss them at all.[/quote]

I look upon my post and realize I sound like someone from the 1890s, having fond reminiscences of the fair sex. It's just that said memories were probably the ONLY part of those days in the studio that I remember fondly, and the words cloak the reality in a decorum that was non-existent in those days or now, thank goodness!
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Phaedrum

Post by Phaedrum »

For a number of reasons, algorithmic reverbs are lately gaining in popularity over convolution reverbs. I second Valhalla--one of the best and most flexible algorithmic reverbs going. Absolutely superb! You also can't go wrong with PSP's inexpensive EasyVerb algorithmic reverb.
Mac Pro (Early 2008), 8-Core Xeon, 16 GB RAM, SSD & 2 HD, OS X 10.10, DP 9, MOTU 2408 MK 3, MOTU 1224.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Fair sex?

I get none, whoootsoever, and that seems unfair.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

monkey man wrote:Fair sex?

I get none, whoootsoever, and that seems unfair.
You must be married then I gather :wink:
billf

Post by billf »

James Steele wrote:
Rick Cornish wrote:Yeah, James.....I'm right there with ya'. The reviews on Sweetwater's site sold me.
Sold me too. I popped for the $50. Still waiting for fulfillment though with the electronic delivery. I used PayPal. Maybe that's slower? They claim within minutes... but it's been a while.
Awesome! I decided to grab it too.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Feel the need to defend Aether and 2C's licensing policy with respect to it.

I bought it not too long after it first came out and have barely been asked to spend a penny on it since. Can't quite believe how fair and generous Andrew has been with updates and content upgrades.

This is one of those products where you feel like the developer future-proofed it in earnest and it shows. There still exists no desktop CPU that can run Aether's switchable rendering mode in real time and there isn't likely to be anytime in the near future. The results of that non-realtime rendering once you print it down are hyper-real (literally - somehow "bigger" than realistic and, as a result, respond deliciously well to verb treatments like saturation and other types of distressing).

This type of no-holds-barred offering of cpu-independent performance that will keep its value as cpus increase in power represents a conscious design decision that is all too rare. Software products that offer it deserve exactly the protection of the type 2C uses, especially given its generous update policy, because so much value was delivered up front, as opposed to parceled out over innumerable paid updates as is the more commonly deployed strategy.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

jloeb wrote:Feel the need to defend Aether and 2C's licensing policy with respect to it.

I bought it not too long after it first came out and have barely been asked to spend a penny on it since. Can't quite believe how fair and generous Andrew has been with updates and content upgrades.

This is one of those products where you feel like the developer future-proofed it in earnest and it shows. There still exists no desktop CPU that can run Aether's switchable rendering mode in real time and there isn't likely to be anytime in the near future. The results of that non-realtime rendering once you print it down are hyper-real (literally - somehow "bigger" than realistic and, as a result, respond deliciously well to verb treatments like saturation and other types of distressing).

This type of no-holds-barred offering of cpu-independent performance that will keep its value as cpus increase in power represents a conscious design decision that is all too rare. Software products that offer it deserve exactly the protection of the type 2C uses, especially given its generous update policy, because so much value was delivered up front, as opposed to parceled out over innumerable paid updates as is the more commonly deployed strategy.
I understand what you're saying, but their update policy doesn't do anything for me if I want to sell the product. If I find myself not using a plugin much, I sell it. I have no desire to keep things around because the developer is awesome.

The more plugins I have sitting unused, or rarely used, the more money I have sitting around just losing value.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

For better or worse some of us are musicians and not accountants and keep plugs around because we may use them, or there may be a future upgrade we like. I have a bunch of guitars I better go sell.