Reverb suggestions

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Reverb suggestions

Post by philbrown »

mikehalloran wrote: I still use the Hall and Room settings from Ozone 5 Advanced as starting points for small spaces. I've still not found anything I like as well for those situations. No doubt they exist, of course, but I like the sound I get.
My favorite small room verb for last several years has been Flux Verb Session.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

philbrown wrote:
Steve Steele wrote: Yeah, the Springbox is a classic already. PSP has really put out some seriously good plugins the last couple of years. Their E27 emulation of the Avidas M5 preamp/EQ is as good as it gets for that kind of EQ. Love the M5 hardware unit too. That and the Maag 4.
Yeah PSP is on fire. I haven't tried the E27 (I will now though) but I am totally in love with the poorly named McQ which is an emulation of an MCI console EQ. I can't even describe what it is about it but it's become my go-to for a lot of things.

Back to verbs: I bought Lexicon's Native pkg some months back and have no regrets. Classic sounds. For some reason Slate's Verbsuite leaves me kind of cold even though a lot of people love it. I seems to like algorithmic verbs rather than convo for some reason.
If you demo the E27 be sure to play with 28k switch. It's basically some kind of high shelf that starts at 14k or so. Really does the trick for my vocals.

I'm sure you know this but the Slate Verbsuite uses Reverberate's layered IR modulation scheme to emulate the Bricasti M7 (convolution imitating algorithmic). Is that what you don't like about it? I tried the Slate subscription but canceled it and bought Reverberate. It's interface is a little overbearing but a friend of mine makes a line of impulse responses for it. Plus it was on sale. I'm not as big of fan of the M7 as some other people but I've never used the hardware so I'm not one to speak.

I'll download the McQ. Thanks for the heads up!

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Here's a new one from PSP on sale until Aug 31st.
Ran across this by accident.
Never heard of a 'necklace' reverb until now.

http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/rev ... xcellence/

I'll mention another one I used quite a bit mixing my bands album recently and that's Eventide's Black Hole. Really cool character and you can dial it back where it doesn't completely consume the track. It really creates an interesting spaciousness around the track that's hard to get from other plugs.

http://www.eventideaudio.com/products/p ... /blackhole
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Wow, this thread is still going. I still use Altiverb, because I am familiar with it, I like it, and it has a huge selection of IRs. The trouble is that lots of those IRs are just so-so, practically indistinguishable from each other, or just more shades of bad. It takes a lot of searching to find the good ones, but trust me, they are there.

Of late, I've been using an Altiverb IR that's either new or that I overlooked previously. It's called Paradiso, which is a club... I forget where. Maybe New York? Aw, I don't know and it doesn't matter. Try it with about a 19% mix, or 25% to 35% for really heavy reverb. I think it's definitely one of the top ten of Audio Ease's IRs.

I still have people request MOTU's Plate Reverb. It's kind of retro, not terribly smooth, but it just has that sound. I use it for headphone monitoring while recording to provide a sound blend without any latency. Truthfully, I've used Altiverb's Paradiso and had no complaints about the delay. MOTU has really ironed out this latency business. It's kind of amazing, really.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Basstrup

Post by Basstrup »

Kinda old thread, but let me throw in my 0.2 Euros.

There convolution reverbs are great. Also because you can keep adding IR's from various sources like http://impulserecord.com/ or if you want to go that far make your own.

That being said, the relab VSR S24 http://relabdevelopment.com/product/vsr-s24/ is awesome. Relab's emus of this and the LX480 are really high quality stuff. And even in case of the LX480 added features (like better low end definition than the original, which was rolled off due to lack of processing power.)
Analog is great... We got both WOW and Flutter - what's your bias?
MOTU: DP9 - 2 x MachV - 2 x MX4 - 2 x 1296 - 2 x 896HD - 1 x UltraLite AVB - 1 x MOTU Monitor 8 - 1 x 24i - 3 x MTP AV | UA Apollo Quad | UA Arrow | SSL 2+ || Digi 002Rack | Mackie control + expanders | UAD-2 PCIe card | 2 x Mac Pro | Mac Mini Late 2018 | OS X 10.14.6
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

One of my favorite reverbs is Seventh Heaven Pro from Liquidsonics,it uses Bricasti M7 impulses and sounds amazing!
It's on the expensive side but Liquidsonics seem to have sales around Black Friday or the Holidays.
The non-Pro version of Seventh Heaven which is also really nice often goes on sale for $49.

https://www.liquidsonics.com/store/
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

wow, this is an old thread :lol:

anyone using HOFA's IQ verb ? Kinda looks like Altiverb.

The IQ -EQ is interesting too.

https://hofa-plugins.de/en/plugins/iq-reverb/
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES