Reverb suggestions

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Reverb suggestions

Post by Michael Canavan »

Shooshie wrote:
Tritonemusic wrote:
Shooshie wrote:That's all that separates me from ProVerb. Come to think of it, I've got a whole CD or DVD of Waves IRs. I wonder if they'll work in ProVerb without modification?
I don't know, and I'm sorry if I'm off the track, but I really love the free Bricasti M7 Samplicity IRs. I use them in ProVerb all the time and they can be manipulated to great extent with ProVerb's controls.
Not off track. That's great info. Thanks!

[edit] Found a link.

Shoosh
Yeah that's the one.
There are others, on Reverberates website for instance there are links to other libraries.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Shooshie wrote: Right now I'm just going to focus on Reverberate, as most of what I do really works best with a great IR. Of course, I'll be comparing it to Altiverb.
Shoosh
Please give us all a full report on that comparison SHooshie.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I use Stillwell's Verbiage for really tight ambience, IRCAM VerbSession for small rooms/spaces, UA's EMT 140 plate and EMT 250, and a few others like PSP's spring verb. The best reverb I ever owned was a TC (hardware) M3000. I've never had any verb plugs that quite lived up to that one, and I wonder why that is.

A question for you convolution users:
I downloaded a bunch of IR's for MOTU's Proverb, but I found myself wading through IR's and felt mostly like a waste of time, although when I found a good one it was good. Let me say also I'm very rarely a preset guy so maybe I just have the wrong mindset but I find wading through IR's to be a clunky way of working. How do you guys get around searching through hundreds of IR's to find the right one? It reminds me of a preset synth with 2000 patches- 2 hours later I MIGHT have found something exactly like what I want- or not.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

philbrown wrote:How do you guys get around searching through hundreds of IR's to find the right one? It reminds me of a preset synth with 2000 patches- 2 hours later I MIGHT have found something exactly like what I want- or not.
This is what I really like about Reverberate. It has a lot of controls for altering the sound of the reverb produced with an IR. Chorus, delays, IR stretching/envelopes/etc.., eq, modulation, parallel/serial IR etc..

Once you get an IR that sounds somewhat close, you can tweak it into something you like very quickly. If you manage to start with something that's near perfect, you can probably find a sound that's better than what you imagined.

If you take the time and separate the IR's you like to a new folder, then you always have a 'working folder' of good IRs and when you have the time you can browse your master folder.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Robert Randolph wrote:
philbrown wrote:How do you guys get around searching through hundreds of IR's to find the right one? It reminds me of a preset synth with 2000 patches- 2 hours later I MIGHT have found something exactly like what I want- or not.
This is what I really like about Reverberate. It has a lot of controls for altering the sound of the reverb produced with an IR. Chorus, delays, IR stretching/envelopes/etc.., eq, modulation, parallel/serial IR etc..

Once you get an IR that sounds somewhat close, you can tweak it into something you like very quickly. If you manage to start with something that's near perfect, you can probably find a sound that's better than what you imagined.

If you take the time and separate the IR's you like to a new folder, then you always have a 'working folder' of good IRs and when you have the time you can browse your master folder.
I was thinking after I posted, it's like anything else of finding your favorites and narrowing it down to a manageable list of what you like and then hopefully having plenty of editing leeway from there, as you mentioned, Robert. I have not tried Reverberate, BTW, and felt ProVerb was pretty limited in that regard (no criticism intended though) so there's that.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

How are the IR's that are included with Reverberate? it sounds like an affordable product I should consider, but it usually does come down to the quality of the IR's.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
Robert Randolph

dewdman42 wrote:How are the IR's that are included with Reverberate? it sounds like an affordable product I should consider, but it usually does come down to the quality of the IR's.
It comes with ~300mb of good quality IRs.

Whether or not they are what you want is really determined by your preferences and the style of music you work with.

There are plenty of high-quality IRs for free or cheap out there that will work great even in proverb. I'm not really sure how the included IRs come into play these days with so many options.
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

Well what I know is that I have heard altiverb's IR's and they sound amazing. I have heard some other IR's that are available through orch libraries and stuff which are also very perfectly geared for the task, sound amazing. And I have heard plenty of crappy sounding free ones. I'm not saying there aren't some good free ones, there must be, but I have spent plenty of time wading through crappy ones. So...yes i think IR's matter quite a lot.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
Robert Randolph

Some links to excellent IRs that are free, donationware or cheap:

http://signaltonoize.com/?page_id=4188

http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-i ... responses/

http://www.openairlib.net/auralizationdb

http://floaudio.bandcamp.com

You still will have to decide on what works for you, and if you want true stereo (which is relatively rare) I will have to dig through my true stereo list and figure out where I got stuff from. I don't have my 'keeper' folder terribly well organized :lol:
Robert Randolph

dewdman42 wrote:Well what I know is that I have heard altiverb's IR's and they sound amazing. I have heard some other IR's that are available through orch libraries and stuff which are also very perfectly geared for the task, sound amazing. And I have heard plenty of crappy sounding free ones. I'm not saying there aren't some good free ones, there must be, but I have spent plenty of time wading through crappy ones. So...yes i think IR's matter quite a lot.
The IR's matter of course, but it depends on what you need and how much you're willing to do to find what you want.

If you want plug-n-play, then Altiverb or Spaces are very likely the best choice for you. If you like to tweak and explore, then there's a lot out there to work with and get fantastic results with.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Robert Randolph wrote:If you want plug-n-play, then Altiverb or Spaces are very likely the best choice for you. If you like to tweak and explore, then there's a lot out there to work with and get fantastic results with.

Once again, our experiences with Altiverb are different. Altiverb has many controls for tweaking IRs. It would be useless without them. There's little I can imagine doing with IRs that can't be done in Altiverb. It comes down to a comparison of HOW things are done, more than WHAT can be done.

The only thing I've seen so far in Reverberate that you can't do in Altiverb is combine the effects of two IRs, and mix them in the plugin. Of course, you CAN do that with two instances of Altiverb, but I've rarely had the need for multiple IR combos. And I've barely looked at Reverberate. I'm open to whatever I find, but there's no need to malign Altiverb with negative spin. It isn't just plug-n-play!

Tweaking and exploring are the ways to go in Altiverb. The IR library alone is amazing. First-class, stereo, deep, broad, even eclectic. Most have multiple mic patterns, and various distances between source and mic. Then there are the ones designed for "walking through the house." You can hear a sound from any room in the house as you move about. That's excellent for movie audio that moves through a location.

There are even experimental reverbs that play the IR backward, or use no tail, just room color (I use that a lot). And of course... presets. I almost always make a preset of any reverb I create in Altiverb. Those, along with the many included presets for each IR, make Altiverb quick, deep, and effective.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Shooshie wrote:... The IR library alone is amazing. First-class, stereo, deep, broad, even eclectic. Most have multiple mic patterns, and various distances between source and mic. Then there are the ones designed for "walking through the house." You can hear a sound from any room in the house as you move about. That's excellent for movie audio that moves through a location.

There are even experimental reverbs that play the IR backward, or use no tail, just room color (I use that a lot)....
Shoosh
... and all without noise!

Having perused / built a 16G "free IR" library over the years, and having de-noised as many as I could (I gave up eventually), I'm about all over it now. This is perhaps the main reason Alti's not going to exit my shortlist 'till it's bought.

Sure, there'll be less choice overall, but it'll be comprehensive, professional, consistent, noise-free and ever-expanding. Personally, I can't really put a price on that.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Basstrup

Post by Basstrup »

Having a Bricasti System 1 (a Model7-M + Model 10 remote) here for testing. And so far A/B-ing with ProVerb and the Bricasti impulse responses it's hard to tell much or any difference. I never thought much of ProVeb, and must confess I never really used it until a month ago when I had to mix a CD using DP 7.24 and MOTU DP 7 stock plugins only. I did use 3rd party impulse responses I found thanks to this great forum. And I was expecting to find having the Bricasti hardware I could achieve better fidelity. But not so. Only difference/issue it the 4 nonlin presets on the Bricasti are not available as IRs - or at least I didn't find them included in the download. And those nonlin are killer - sounds great on lead vocals, however I have a feeling that I can get same results using nonlin presets in Valhalla's VintageVerb or UADs RMX-16. - have to test that next. Right now I believe ProVerb + Vallaha's VintageVerb and übermod can cover the need for most song mixing.

Analog is great... We got both WOW and Flutter - what's your bias?
MOTU: DP9 - 2 x MachV - 2 x MX4 - 2 x 1296 - 2 x 896HD - 1 x UltraLite AVB - 1 x MOTU Monitor 8 - 1 x 24i - 3 x MTP AV | UA Apollo Quad | UA Arrow | SSL 2+ || Digi 002Rack | Mackie control + expanders | UAD-2 PCIe card | 2 x Mac Pro | Mac Mini Late 2018 | OS X 10.14.6
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Thank you Basstrup.

It's always a relief to hear that a free IR set in ProVerb sacrifices little if anything of the hardware alternative... especially when it's priced so far out of reach!

Great stuff, man.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Couldn't help it. I've wanted Altiverb for years.
20% off sale on Altiverb at Audiodeluxe ends now so I pulled the trigger.

For me anyway Reverberate was pretty cool, but even on a 12 core 3.33ghz mac pro there was zipper noise when dialing in a sound. Plus I have Eventide Ultraverb and the Lexicon LXP bundle for tweaking if that's the direction I'm headed.

Order isn't processed yet, but I'll chime in with my subjective opinion when I've played around with it long enough to form one. :)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.