Reverb suggestions

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
musicman691

Re: Reverb suggestions

Post by musicman691 »

BKK-OZ wrote:The problem I have is in getting the Fusion IRs (both banks) to show up in the menu where they are supposed to be. No matter what I do, I cannot get the banks to show up in Saved Banks>Fusion IRs.

All I get is Saved Banks>Fusion IRs>Download Fusion IRs.

I have both banks in:
Library>Audio>Impulse Responses>LiquidSonics>Banks
and
Library>Audio>Impulse Responses>LiquidSonics>Banks
Users>BK>Library>Audio>Impulse Responses>LiquidSonics>Banks
Did you use the installer provided with the ir's? There's one for each set of ir's and separate steps in each to load the ir's themselves and the presets. When did you try to load things up? There was a bit of a problem with the early ir's downloads and the install process wasn't too clear. That has been fixed in the current installers. Are you having a problem in not seeing the ir's themselves or the presets? I can see the ir's just fine in the Reverberate browser. You may want to uninstall everything and reinstall using the latest ir's with their installers - it may fix your problem.
BKK-OZ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by BKK-OZ »

Yes, I used the proper installers, and I used the later version, and I followed their (arcane, abstruse) instructions, and I have gone through a manual install process guided by LiquidSonics support.

Their latest suggestion was to go through, one by one, and load each bank into the 'favourites' area. But Reverberate's presets browser doesn't remember which directory you last used, so doing that means that the loading of each bank requires navigation through all those sub-directories, which involves a ton of clicking, over and over again.

Bleh.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

BKK-OZ wrote:Yes, I used the proper installers, and I used the later version, and I followed their (arcane, abstruse) instructions, and I have gone through a manual install process guided by LiquidSonics support.

Their latest suggestion was to go through, one by one, and load each bank into the 'favourites' area. But Reverberate's presets browser doesn't remember which directory you last used, so doing that means that the loading of each bank requires navigation through all those sub-directories, which involves a ton of clicking, over and over again.

Bleh.
There's definitely something strange going on with your system. I ran into a problem with the program itself but not the ir installers. ProTools 11.3.1 is my other daw besides DP and the installer did not completely overwrite the existing aax format plugin and kicked out a PT specific error code that Liquidsonics knows about and has a remedy for (I had to delete the aax format plugin and do a reinstall of Reverberate 2). There is another issue with the installer in that it doesn't change the date on the au or vst format plugins - they still show the date of the original install or last update. However if one calls up the plugin in a host it shows and functions as Reverberate 2. Liquidsonics knows about that one after I mentioned it in the DUC and one of their people said they'll have to look into having an uninstaller script written to go before the install happens.

What version of OSX are you running?
Macrozonaris

Post by Macrozonaris »

UAD EMT140 is surprisingly awesome for orchestral stuff
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

musicman691 wrote:What version of OSX are you running?
Glad you asked, I was about to ask you the same.

I am on 10.10.3.

I reckon it is a permissions issue, the IR Banks folder wasn't created by the installer, I had to create it myself, leading me to think that there is something going on there. LiquidSonics have asked for a read out my permissions, sending that to them now.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

BKK-OZ wrote:
musicman691 wrote:What version of OSX are you running?
Glad you asked, I was about to ask you the same.

I am on 10.10.3.

I reckon it is a permissions issue, the IR Banks folder wasn't created by the installer, I had to create it myself, leading me to think that there is something going on there. LiquidSonics have asked for a read out my permissions, sending that to them now.
I ran it first on OSX 10.9.5 and then on my other boot partition of OSX 10.8.5. As I wrote earlier for those running PT Liquidsonics says to run PT after doing the program install but before doing the Fusion ir installs because of some kind of folder creation/population. They say nothing about doing that for any other daw. Which brings up a possibility in that I wonder if other daw users would have to do the same thing? But if so then why no problem in Mavericks or ML? Do you have sandboxing turned off?
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Despite having sent through several screen shots of how I had tried to manually set up the folder structure, LS hadn't advised me that my manually created file structure was wrong. When they sent through another screen shot of their set-up, I went through and made sure I copied it exactly (two more sub-directories needed).

Sure enough, on next opening Reverberate, the Fusion IRs finally showed up where they were supposed to be.

All a bit too hard.

Not sure why a developer has separate installers for their app, and separate ones for different kinds of presets, but there you are.

Anyway, finally, it is working as it should.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

... and the sound, BK?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

For the $$$, you can't really beat Reverberate.

If you want an IR/Convo 'verb and can't afford Altiverb, I reckon it is pretty hard to pass up. Not sure if their update special is still on, but it is worth checking out - I think that they have a demo.

Pretty efficient with CPU/memory too.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

Do you know Aegean Music and his Spirit Reverb ? It's surprising _

Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

For orchestral samples mockups I mainly now use multimic libraries like Berlin Brass. Not much reverb is needed these days. I only use three reverbs now for samples.

VSL's Hybrid Reverb (Teldex settings) or...
Luiquidsonics's Reverberate (Seventh Heaven is great for those that want the Bricasti M7 presets, a nice GUI and no hassles) or...
2C-Audio's Aether, B2 and Breeze

If you want a GREAT plate/digital try PSP's 2445. Love it on guitars and synths.

Reverbs that are still useful:
Waves Trueverb, Renverb and their CLA Unplugged is cool.
UVI Sparkverb
bx_rooM/S
IK's CSR Inverse
SPAT
FabFilter's Reverb
QL Spaces
Poor Plate (free!)
Valhalla, Shimmer, etc...
MOTU's stuff

I only mention these because I've actually wasted all that money buying them all. :shake:

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Steve Steele wrote: If you want a GREAT plate/digital try PSP's 2445. Love it on guitars and synths.
Love that one. Really easy to dial up and sits in the mix nicely.

@ Corbo-billy - PSP's Springbox is a really good (and surprisingly versatile) spring reverb emulation.

2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

philbrown wrote:
Steve Steele wrote: If you want a GREAT plate/digital try PSP's 2445. Love it on guitars and synths.
Love that one. Really easy to dial up and sits in the mix nicely.

@ Corbo-billy - PSP's Springbox is a really good (and surprisingly versatile) spring reverb emulation.

Yeah, the Springbox is a classic already. PSP has really put out some seriously good plugins the last couple of years. Their E27 emulation of the Avidas M5 preamp/EQ is as good as it gets for that kind of EQ. Love the M5 hardware unit too. That and the Maag 4.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Steve Steele wrote: Yeah, the Springbox is a classic already. PSP has really put out some seriously good plugins the last couple of years. Their E27 emulation of the Avidas M5 preamp/EQ is as good as it gets for that kind of EQ. Love the M5 hardware unit too. That and the Maag 4.
Yeah PSP is on fire. I haven't tried the E27 (I will now though) but I am totally in love with the poorly named McQ which is an emulation of an MCI console EQ. I can't even describe what it is about it but it's become my go-to for a lot of things.

Back to verbs: I bought Lexicon's Native pkg some months back and have no regrets. Classic sounds. For some reason Slate's Verbsuite leaves me kind of cold even though a lot of people love it. I seems to like algorithmic verbs rather than convo for some reason.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The Spirit looks interesting but the PSP Springbox meets my needs in that regards. I also have Eventide and others plus the MOTU stuff which is pretty good.

I still use the Hall and Room settings from Ozone 5 Advanced as starting points for small spaces. I've still not found anything I like as well for those situations. No doubt they exist, of course, but I like the sound I get.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro