MOTUNATION THANKS AND SALUTES LES QUINDIPAN!!!!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTUNATION THANKS AND SALUTES LES QUINDIPAN!!!!

Post by James Steele »

MOTUNATION THANKS & SALUTES
LES QUINDIPAN!!!

Okay... this is a BIG DEAL. The news has started to go out amongst the MOTU user community, so it's okay to mention it here. After over 20 YEARS as an important part of MOTU, Les Quindipan has left his position there and will be moving on (after a well-deserved rest no doubt!) to something exciting and challenging I'm sure.

I first got to know Les back in the early 90s. I would send faxes to MOTU with detailed suggestions for feature enhancements, etc. I'd report bugs, etc. Les, would answer those reports and suggestions and always seemed keenly interested in user feedback and never dismissive of a suggestion but would be open minded. Sometimes he'd point out something I hadn't considered, but he always did so politely and without making me feel silly. His knowledge off all things DP and MOTU was vast, but he ALWAYS listened and many times I got to make suggestions that eventually found their way into Digital Performer.

Les never missed one of our MOTU-MAC/MOTUnation dinners, and over the course of MANY years and many NAMM shows, I came to know and admire the man and call him my friend. I know many of you feel the same way. I want to open up this topic (which I will make a sticky) so that those of us in the MOTU user community can wish him well or just share any good stories of our interactions with him during his many years ago MOTU.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: MOTUNATION THANKS AND SALUTES LES QUINDIPAN!!!!

Post by James Steele »

I will hasten to add that this topic is posted to pay tribute to Les and share positive stories about our dealings with him and well wishes. Out of consideration to both Les and MOTU, salacious speculation or gossip regarding the circumstances of his departure are just that and will be moderated. Keep it positive. :)

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
b.g.

Post by b.g. »

http://aurora.cloudfactory.org/pipermai ... 04713.html
“Some years ago James and Steve organized one or two reunion in IRC in
Undernet, Magic Dave and Les Quindipan was invited. James was the moderator.”

Notice the above quote from 2000 says “some years ago…” so I’m guessing the Undernet session was 1998 or 99. I remember Les taking questions at that Undernet event. During the session James would cue users with a message that they were up next to ask their question. My question to Les was “What is the next audio interface that will be approved for DP?” The 2408 had not been released yet and DP only worked with certain hardware—MOTU’s own Wave Board (which James probably still has in his closet), Digidesign’s AudioMedia card, and later the Yamaha CBX D5. In MOTU tradition, Les gave no hint that the groundbreaking MOTU 2408 would be released in a matter of months.
MacBook Pro retina 2015, i7, 16GB, DP 10, M4
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I have had the experience, more than once, of seeing my suggestions show up in the next release of DP. I'm guessing Les might have been behind that, (... or perhaps I was just reading the tea leaves well).

Thanks, Les, for all you've done to make MOTU and DP great!!

Jon
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Thank you for letting us know, James.

I immediately recognised Les' face from the dinner pics that've been posted through the years; I've always looked at them, imagining what it'd be like to be there and trying to figure out who was who.

I didn't know or talk to Les, but I appreciate how disappointed folks such as you, who'd come to value his demeanour, knowledge and willingness to share it, would feel knowing that he'll no longer be with our beloved MOTU.

These things happen 'though, and hopefully it's all good from Les' perspective. Onwards and upwards, with best wishes from all of us here at MOTUNation, I'm sure, Les, should you ever read this.

Good luck, mate, and thank you for all you've done for us.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Thanks, Les! I appreciate all the support I received from you as both a Performer and DP user as well as the innovation we have come to expect from MOTU. Best of luck with Les 2.0!
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

BTW... I'm not sure what Les has planned next, but here's his LinkedIn page and I figured those of us who have dealt with him over there might want to leave a recommendation. Like Rick's experience, Les always came through for the user! :)

https://www.linkedin.com/in/lquindipan

ddas

Post by ddas »

What can I say about Les -- a kind-hearted and generous and supportive guy who I count as a friend even though we only see each other roughly once a year (NAMM). He's helped in so many ways behind the scenes. He is one quality guy. Thank you Les for all you've done and best wishes to you as you tackle the next season of life!
jwfatgruv

Post by jwfatgruv »

There is no better representation of the old adage... Les is more!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I'm sad to see Les leaving MOTU, but happy for him that he is done with that part of his life and is moving on to the next thing. That's just the way life is, and the future is always an adventure.

I became acquainted with Les in the early 1990s, when I was working in the Scottsdale, Arizona area as an arranger/music director for a touring concert. At that time I was using Professional Composer and Performer, and I always needed things changed in Performer. (Digital Performer was still pretty much in the early stages, and few Macs were powerful enough to run it.) While I talked with many people at MOTU, Les Quindipan was the one who heard me and got things done. I used to send letters (on paper, via snail mail) to MOTU with lists of features I thought we needed, along with a brief description of how I thought each feature ought to be implemented, and why I thought Performer was hindered without it. Usually, at least one of those features would pop up in the next release, if not several.

The big one happened years later in the December, 1997 release. I was in contact by phone with Les quite often around that time, and when this release was imminent, he told me "Shooshie, this one's for you!" Days later I received a large, 6 page folding brochure on heavy stock for Performer 6 and a similar one for DP 2.3. It advertised the new features, which included over 2 dozen suggestions I'd sent in a letter some months before. I was never so happy to get the upgrade. It felt like Les had included me in the process, and it made it very personal for me.

I asked Les about one feature that wasn't included: the MIDI Edit Window that overlaid all tracks together in one view (if desired) and color coded the notes to tell the tracks apart. He said that one would take a little longer, but that they would do it in a later version. Three years later, in December of 2000, DP3 was released with the color-coded, multi-track MIDI Edit Window.

Les never made me feel hurried or unwelcome. He had an ebullient charm that made me feel as if he enjoyed our conversations, even though I knew he heard from people like me all day long, every day. I've always appreciated that, and it has a lot to do with why I come here and answer as many questions as I can for people who may need answers, as Les did for me back when I needed help. So, let me take this opportunity to say "thank you, Les Quindipan! You made a difference in my work and career. I'll always be grateful."

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

jwfatgruv wrote:There is no better representation of the old adage... Les is more!
I'll never forget when a bunch of us DP users on the MOTU-MAC years ago chipped in on a plaque that said "Les is MORE!" and gave it to Les at the NAMM dinner! :) I'll continue using DP for sure, but MOTU will not be quite the same without the Q Man!! It was a great run!

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Shooshie wrote:I'm sad to see Les leaving MOTU, but happy for him that he is done with that part of his life and is moving on to the next thing. That's just the way life is, and the future is always an adventure.

I became acquainted with Les in the early 1990s, when I was working in the Scottsdale, Arizona area as an arranger/music director for a touring concert. At that time I was using Professional Composer and Performer, and I always needed things changed in Performer. (Digital Performer was still pretty much in the early stages, and few Macs were powerful enough to run it.) While I talked with many people at MOTU, Les Quindipan was the one who heard me and got things done. I used to send letters (on paper, via snail mail) to MOTU with lists of features I thought we needed, along with a brief description of how I thought each feature ought to be implemented, and why I thought Performer was hindered without it. Usually, at least one of those features would pop up in the next release, if not several.

The big one happened years later in the December, 1997 release. I was in contact by phone with Les quite often around that time, and when this release was imminent, he told me "Shooshie, this one's for you!" Days later I received a large, 6 page folding brochure on heavy stock for Performer 6 and a similar one for DP 2.3. It advertised the new features, which included over 2 dozen suggestions I'd sent in a letter some months before. I was never so happy to get the upgrade. It felt like Les had included me in the process, and it made it very personal for me.

I asked Les about one feature that wasn't included: the MIDI Edit Window that overlaid all tracks together in one view (if desired) and color coded the notes to tell the tracks apart. He said that one would take a little longer, but that they would do it in a later version. Three years later, in December of 2000, DP3 was released with the color-coded, multi-track MIDI Edit Window.

Les never made me feel hurried or unwelcome. He had an ebullient charm that made me feel as if he enjoyed our conversations, even though I knew he heard from people like me all day long, every day. I've always appreciated that, and it has a lot to do with why I come here and answer as many questions as I can for people who may need answers, as Les did for me back when I needed help. So, let me take this opportunity to say "thank you, Les Quindipan! You made a difference in my work and career. I'll always be grateful."

Shooshie
Well said as always, Shoosh! I only wish you had been able to make it out to California for one of our NAMM dinners and got to meet Les in person. Truly a great guy and I know you guys would have hit it off!

monkey man

Post by monkey man »

So eloquent, Shoosh.

All these pros coming out of the woodwork. Les must be a truly terrific guy.

I regret having never met or spoken to him all the more now.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
sefanzed

Post by sefanzed »

Les is the best, and will be sorely missed! Wishing him all the best for whatever future endeavor he might undertake.
Steve Z
frankymax

Post by frankymax »

I first came in contact with Les in the mid 90's when I was frustrated with how certain things were (or weren't) working on DP and I sent a letter of frustration to MOTU. Les got in touch with me and made certain that my frustrations were being heard and that MOTU would do their best to help improve the program. Over the years I was in contact with questions and ideas and Les was always there to help out and offer a sympathetic ear. I will miss him and wish him all the best in his future endeavors!

All the best Les!

-Frank Macchia
DP9/Windows7-64bit-32GBRAM Intel i7-3e930K CPU@3.2GHz/Lynx Aurora 8/VSL Ext.Lib//Komplete8/Spectrasonics/KorgLegDig/Valhalla/WavesMus2/iZotope/PSP/CytomicGlue/NomadPP/Plug&Mix/DynSpecM/KurzPC88/LexiNatBundle/RelabLX480/Kush/FabFilter/Finale/Sibelius/PacificaMicPre/Lawson/Neumann/Peluso/AKG/SeNeve/Lucas Mics/Genelec1032A
http://frankmacchia.net/