Syncing slave computer (MIDIoverLAN, Bidule)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
smashprod
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Syncing slave computer (MIDIoverLAN, Bidule)

Post by smashprod »

Hi-

I have forgotten how to do this reliably, can someone walk me through? I'm running DP8 on my master Mac Pro, and hosting various plugins in Bidule on the slave, and using MIDIoverLAN to connect them. I want to avoid ReWire, but I want to be able to sync Kontakt 5 and the Omnisphere 2 arpeggiator to my tempo maps in DP8.

I added a "MIDI Clock to Sync" module in Bidule, had DP8 send MIDI clock, and selected the Bidule module in Kontakt as the clock source, but it only seems to half-work (the tempo is close, but not locked).

Can someone walk me through the setup - or is there a better way to do this?
smashprod

Re: Syncing slave computer (MIDIoverLAN, Bidule)

Post by smashprod »

Further note - I want to avoid Rewire because it used to limit Bidule to one processor (I use two 8-core Macs); does the current version reliably utilize multi-cores in 64 bit mode?

P.S. the reason I'm avoiding VEPro is the 16 channel (AU spec) limitation which makes it a pain for large templates.
Basstrup

Post by Basstrup »

I believe there is a MAS version for VEP now. This should take care of the AU 16 ch limit.
Analog is great... We got both WOW and Flutter - what's your bias?
MOTU: DP9 - 2 x MachV - 2 x MX4 - 2 x 1296 - 2 x 896HD - 1 x UltraLite AVB - 1 x MOTU Monitor 8 - 1 x 24i - 3 x MTP AV | UA Apollo Quad | UA Arrow | SSL 2+ || Digi 002Rack | Mackie control + expanders | UAD-2 PCIe card | 2 x Mac Pro | Mac Mini Late 2018 | OS X 10.14.6
bralston

Post by bralston »

Yeah....the new MAS version of VEPro does not have that limitation and works great. Seriously. VEPro makes working with external slaves so much more elegant, especially now. Just do it. :wink: :woohoo: :headbang: :headbang:
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13