How accurate is the Trigger plugin(non-realtime)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mwilloam
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How accurate is the Trigger plugin(non-realtime)

Post by mwilloam »

DP user since 2.72. Haven't used the trigger plug much to map drum audio to MIDI but want to now. Tested it recently and while it does impart what appears to be a latency in the recording time(due to buffer) when all the MIDI notes were slid back to the start of the transient it seemed to be in sync. For any power users of trigger, how accurate has it been for timing(x) and velocity(y)? Again, I get there is a buffer delay but I'm fine with that as it is only for pre-recorded tracks that I want to augment with samples. Thanks!
dix

Re: How accurate is the Trigger plugin(non-realtime)

Post by dix »

Not so accurate. It can be a useful utility that can work in a pinch, but you'll need to slide everything to get it to line up with the original as you've been doing, and even after that there can be timing errors that you have to correct individually. Unlike plugins like "Steve Slate's Trigger" and Drumagog, which are spot-on perfect every time timing wise, DP's Trigger needs to be fiddled with quite a bit in most situations.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I'm curious how the results are with velocity?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mwilloam

Post by mwilloam »

dix wrote:Not so accurate. It can be a useful utility that can work in a pinch, but you'll need to slide everything to get it to line up with the original as you've been doing, and even after that there can be timing errors that you have to correct individually. Unlike plugins like "Steve Slate's Trigger" and Drumagog, which are spot-on perfect every time timing wise, DP's Trigger needs to be fiddled with quite a bit in most situations.
Interesting. Well that's too bad. Surprising because of all the things DP does amazingly well you'd think this would be a simple calculation. Was hoping to avoid 3rd party but i guess that is best.
Basstrup

Post by Basstrup »

I used to use trigger, but got Drumagog 5 Pro, want to give Slate trigger a spin. As stated by dix trigger is not accurate, and after you align first beat, you will find you have to manually align other beats or even all. After having had to use trigger on a a recent project which was DP7.24 - and only MOTU plugins available - I have a suspicion that velocity could have an impact on how accurate (timing wise) the individual beat is processed.

With Drumagog I find that there is short lag, but all beats are "dead on" so just have to select them all and nudge forward a few ticks.

Trigger is a useful tool, and it would be great to have it fixed.
Analog is great... We got both WOW and Flutter - what's your bias?
MOTU: DP9 - 2 x MachV - 2 x MX4 - 2 x 1296 - 2 x 896HD - 1 x UltraLite AVB - 1 x MOTU Monitor 8 - 1 x 24i - 3 x MTP AV | UA Apollo Quad | UA Arrow | SSL 2+ || Digi 002Rack | Mackie control + expanders | UAD-2 PCIe card | 2 x Mac Pro | Mac Mini Late 2018 | OS X 10.14.6
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

Basstrup wrote: Trigger is a useful tool, and it would be great to have it fixed.
+1
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
mrgkeys

Post by mrgkeys »

if you don't want to go down the Slate route, which is also the best gate I've ever heard on drums.. this old standby just got released at 64 bit and is much cheaper..

http://www.apulsoft.ch/aptrigga3/index.php

I used the v2 version of this for 10 years and have a giant library of drum samples from every project I've ever engineered to go with it. It works every time and new version has lots of updates..

I will say for the Slate Trigger, the Blackbird samples are worth splurging for if you do anything like the modern pop or country.. excellent drums samples..
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Rather than start a new thread...

Steven Slate Drums Trigger 2 Platinum Drum Replacement Plug-in (download) is out at $99 or less at some retailers.
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... &start=195

Drumagog Pro 5 is also $99 or less at the same resellers.

The Trigger plug-in hasn't done it for me so I want to get one or the other. I notice that Drumagog Pro includes some hi-hat samples (although not as advanced as Platinum) and that SSD's Trigger 2 doesn't mention hi-hat at all.

Anyone know of a reason that I should consider one over the other?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro