Recommended Ram Amount

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Recommended Ram Amount

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:It is nowhere nearly as bad as the auto industry, however, where a part could be $9, $37 or $266 depending on whether it was sold by a VW, Audi or Porsche dealership.
... or put the word "Marine" in front of the part name and triple the price again.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

menright wrote:Too much RAM is like the Holy Grail: legendary, infinitely desired, and finally, unattainable.
Oh yeah? :wink:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9193/the- ... 3-review/3
Each of these memory buffers supports 6 DIMM slots. Multiply four sockets with four memory buffers and six dimm slots and you get a total of 96 DIMM slots. With 64 GB LR-DIMMs (see our tests of Samsung/IDT based LRDIMMs here) in those 96 DIMM slots, you get an ultra expensive server with no less than 6 TB RAM.
All that is required is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

All right. So maybe the unobtainable qualifier still holds.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Shooshie wrote:
monkey man wrote:Hey Shoosh, I've got your exact-model machine, with the same amount of RAM.

Question: Why not do the Xeon 5680 upgrade, bro'? When I bought the beast, I, like you, opted for the entry-level CPU config, anticipating a cheap upgrade down the track.

For once, the plan seems to have worked out just fine. I'm sure you'd have at least thought about it...
I hadn't given it any thought at all! I'll have to check out this 5680. So you got yours in 2012, too? I sure hope that's the exact model match with mine, because if it's the previous one, the one I bought in 2007, then you're probably in dire straits right now. But I'm pretty sure you mean the 2012 12 core. Now, THAT has been one smooth operating machine, except for the OS X bungles that reduced the Magic Trackpad to the status of a has-been. (I still find it exhibiting the same anti-scrolling behavior in many apps, not just DP, but especially in certain websites.) I'll look up that 5680 and see if it's something I can't live without.

Shooshie
Shoosh, it's your exact model, I'm sure. The 2.4GHz 12 core, mid-2012 model. I bought it new early last year 'cause it was the last "proper" desktop Apple made. I, like you, opted for the entry-level model, the 2.4GHz one; the CPU upgrade was always part of the plan. This is why I was so disappointed I couldn't put Thunderbolt on this machine, hence my AVB-angst thread.

Thankfully MOTU has tweaked the USB2 driver for its AVB system to accommodate 64i / 64o simultaneously, giving this machine a 5-10 year life extension for me.

I've not pushed the machine since the CPU upgrade, but I've definitely noticed... wait for it... snappier navigation in the Finder! This is worth the price of admission alone for me, 'cause the only disappointment I experienced (apart from the Thunderbolt bombshell) after purchasing the unit new from an Apple store (even 'though it was already a 2 year-old model), was the fact that it seemed more sluggish in general navigation than my previous 2008 2.8GHz 8C. I figured this must've been down to the raw CPU speed, and in retrospect I reckon I was right.

So, if nothing else, you should be able to experience a little snappiness!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Thanks for the info, MM. I'm going to put that on the list, though that list is changing right now. Trying to trim down to priorities, and quit getting distracted by things that I don't need. I think this is something I DO need, though.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Hey, if it allows you to further delay any move towards Darth's Helmet, it can't be a bad thing, right? I mean, I remember how miffed you were / are (as am I) that a traditional form-factored Mac Pro isn't on offer for those of us who love to stuff our units with goodies. Heck, I'm even going to risk switching from the ever-reliable PCI AudioWire system to MOTU's AVB one over USB2, rather than "upgrade" to a Helmet just to get Thunderbolt.

I meant to mention yesterday that in light of the local Apple store's reluctance to switch the CPUs for me, I took the plunge and did it commando-style on the corner of my (unusable for any other purpose, it seems) bed. In a lint-flying zone. Wiping the old thermal paste off with a pair of old jeans from the laundry rag basket and smearing the new stuff across the processors with cardboard. Not even sure if I was meant to pop some on the underside of the heat sinks as well, but either way, I didn't.

So, you see, this is something you could do well within an hour, with no instruction or experience; I seem to have gotten away with it at any rate, touch wood. The biggest inconvenience by far was unplugging all the USB and AudioWire gear and making notes on the order the cables were plugged in.

The 5680 chip IMHO is at the peak of the bang-for-buck curve, 'cause the 5690 uses yet more power but seems to deliver little in terms of extra grunt. It was, it would seem, Intel's final squeeze of the design; it hit the ceiling, so to speak. Apparently, according to someone in HC Markus' thread on these things, you could expect similar performance to a fully-maxed Helmet, and we all know what that'd cost for the computer alone, let alone the requisite paraphernalia! Server farms world wide have upgraded their chips from these puppies en masse over the past 12-18 months, so they're probably at their lowest-possible price point right now. Some haven't even been run and are brand new. You're looking at $200 US or even less a pop.

That get you fired up, bro'?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here