track selection in sequence editor

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
musicman691

track selection in sequence editor

Post by musicman691 »

I've been slowly re-adjusting to the DP way of doing things since I got back into it so forgive me for this. There is one area I can't seem to figure out and it should be dead simple and that is multiple track selection in the sequence editor. I can't seem to be able to select multiple tracks via click and drag like in the tracks overview. Or click on one track, hold down the shift key and click on a track further down the screen and select all the tracks between the two clicks. Is this not doable in the sequence editor?

The only way I can make multiple track selections is to hold down the command key and click on every track.
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: track selection in sequence editor

Post by stubbsonic »

Works here. If you are in the tracks overview, click and hold on one of the track names and drag downward.

In the sequence editor, open the track selector via the icon in the lower left. Here it is a little different. Clicking toggles tracks on and off. Option-clicking selects a single track and deselects all others. Command-clicking deselects that one track and enables all others. And as in some things, Shift-click works the way command-click works in most other OS contexts, it adds each track to selections or toggles them on & off.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

stubbsonic wrote:Works here. If you are in the tracks overview, click and hold on one of the track names and drag downward.

In the sequence editor, open the track selector via the icon in the lower left. Here it is a little different. Clicking toggles tracks on and off. Option-clicking selects a single track and deselects all others. Command-clicking deselects that one track and enables all others. And as in some things, Shift-click works the way command-click works in most other OS contexts, it adds each track to selections or toggles them on & off.
I don't want to show or hide tracks I want to be able to select tracks like you can in the track overview so one can do things like create a clipping or other use. But it doesn't seem like that can be done. Your method won't do that - it'll just show or hide them.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Command Click the track names.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

As far as I can tell, shift-clicking blocks of tracks doesn't work in the sequence editor, only in the tracks overview. At least I've never gotten it to work. You can, however, have both windows open and make your selection in the TO which will also select those tracks in the SE.

You can also click-drag across tracks with the pointer tool, but you have to start your drag somewhere where there's no soundbite (like at the end of the sequence), or else you'll likely be dragging a soundbite out of place.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

This little trick is for the Sequence Editor only:

Hold down the Control Key while selecting data. You can then drag over multiple tracks, including grouped tracks (grouped for selection, the entire group will select in the range you're dragging), and keep dragging to include other tracks (or groups).

This is a range-selection only. It will not move your soundbites by accident.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Also, since you brought up the Tracks Overview Window, this is a good time to repeat the tip about dragging in that window:

• In the Tracks Overview Window, each cell is divided top/bottom with differing selection types, depending on where your drag/click originates.
  • — If you click & drag in the top part of any cell, you can drag a range selection over any number of tracks.
    — If you click & drag in the bottom part of any cell, you can drag a range selection, but it will be constrained to the track in which you clicked. (Grouped tracks will select together)
    — Click & release upper portion of cell ("+" cursor) to select a cell. Hold Command Key to insert vertical line at cursor (one boundary of a range, or a point for splitting tracks, etc.)
    — Click & release lower portion of cell (arrow cursor) to select a region. Add more tracks by Shift-Clicking regions or track names.
    Command Key generally releases the range constraints and enables selection to start anywhere.
There are lots of subtle tricks in the Tracks Overview Window. Most of them you can learn through trial-and-error. Others may require a little more research.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

bayswater wrote:Command Click the track names.
I know that but that only works for one track at a time. You have to hold the cmd key down and click on each track to have multiple tracks in the selection which is a right pain and not following normal selection routines.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Shooshie wrote:This little trick is for the Sequence Editor only:

Hold down the Control Key while selecting data. You can then drag over multiple tracks, including grouped tracks (grouped for selection, the entire group will select in the range you're dragging), and keep dragging to include other tracks (or groups).

Shooshie
This only selects tracks that have data in them and not all tracks I'd want to select would have data in them all the time. I have a piece I'm working on (1812 Overture) and as you know not all the tracks play at the same time. So if I start making a selection on a track that has data but the next one doesn't (but I still want to include that track in the selection) but the track after that one has data at the point of the selection the track in the middle doesn't show as selected.

I really don't want to have to switch between windows just to make a selection of a group of tracks if I can help it. I prefer working in the sequence editor when I can.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Using the Shift Key along with the Control Key you can come up with odd selections like this:

I can only think of a couple reasons for such a selection right now, but it's nice to know it's there.

Shooshie
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

musicman691 wrote:
Shooshie wrote:This little trick is for the Sequence Editor only:

Shooshie
This only selects tracks that have data in them and not all tracks I'd want to select would have data in them all the time. I have a piece I'm working on (1812 Overture) and as you know not all the tracks play at the same time. So if I start making a selection on a track that has data but the next one doesn't (but I still want to include that track in the selection) but the track after that one has data at the point of the selection the track in the middle doesn't show as selected.

I really don't want to have to switch between windows just to make a selection of a group of tracks if I can help it. I prefer working in the sequence editor when I can.

MIDI is for the MIDI Editor. You do what you like, but ask yourself if you're doing it because you prefer the Sequence Editor, or because you're not familiar enough with the MIDI Editor. The only time I do MIDI in the Sequence Editor is when I need to align it with Audio, visually. Actually, there are a couple other reasons, but I can't think of them right now. They don't pop up enough to warrant regular usage there. That's all I'll say about that.

As for the areas with blank tracks, that's a problem for what you're doing. But you CAN work around them using the Shift Key in addition to the Control Key. But if you happen to release the mouse over a blank track, BOOM... there went your hard-won selection. Still, if you are careful, that shouldn't happen.

A better work-around is to learn the command for Range Selection Only. I have mine set as follows:
  • • CONTROL-OPTION-SHIFT-[9] = Time Range Selections Only
    • CONTROL-OPTION-SHIFT-[8] = Event & Phrase Selections Only
    • CONTROL-OPTION-SHIFT-[7] = All Selections
The brackets around [9] mean "keypad 9". I don't know what the default is, or if there is a default. When you switch to Range Selections Only, that problem goes away. The reason for it is that it's looking for events in the MIDI tracks, or automation points in the Audio tracks. When it finds them, it converts to an event selection, rather than time-range selection. Thus, the time ranges go away.

There are other cases where this works to your advantage, so it's not a bug. I would not want to change it, at least not at this point, and not without addressing those working methods where it becomes advantageous. But if you just switch to Time Range Selection Only, you'll get what you want. Just takes a key-press. Then another when you want to switch back to Event & Range Selections.

So, when using Range Selections, it DOES do what you want, exactly.

Shooshie
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Rereading the posts, I don't know where I got the MIDI thing. For some reason I thought you mentioned working with MIDI in the Sequence Editor in your previous post. It's not there. (cue Twilight Zone Theme)

Anyway... I'll leave what I said. Just ignore it if it doesn't apply.

Shoosh
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Since we've evolved to selecting Range Selections Only, you don't need the Control Key to drag over any given range. Just drag. SHIFT-Drag for disjointed selections. Once more, here are the settings I have for switching selection types. I don't know if they are defaults, or if I set them that way long ago, but that's what I've been using for a long time:
  • • CONTROL-OPTION-SHIFT-[9]* = Time Range Selections Only
    • CONTROL-OPTION-SHIFT-[8] = Event & Phrase Selections Only
    • CONTROL-OPTION-SHIFT-[7] = All Selections
    • *[keypad]
Shooshie
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

musicman691 wrote:
I know that but that only works for one track at a time. You have to hold the cmd key down and click on each track to have multiple tracks in the selection which is a right pain and not following normal selection routines.
Nevertheless, it is how you select multiple tracks in the Sequence Editor. What you want to do is better done in the Track Overview.

One thing to consider is learning the differences between the Track Overview and the Sequence Editor and make selective use of their features. A lot of people, particularly those switching from Cubase and Logic, think they are just two unaccountably odd and different views of the same thing, and suggest the TO is best eliminated. But for better or worse, somethings are better done in one than the other. Deciding how to split functions across the two is a part of setting up a workflow that's best for you. I'd go so far as to say that DP doesn't work well for those who don't develop a structured approach.

I use the TO for setting up signal paths (after setting up Bundles), colour schemes, templates, and general layout. I keep the SE for things where I'm going to focus on a few tracks and the way audio is arranged, and over time, use it less and less in favour of the TO and MIDI Editor. But everyone will approach this differently.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

bayswater wrote:
musicman691 wrote:
Nevertheless, it is how you select multiple tracks in the Sequence Editor. What you want to do is better done in the Track Overview.

One thing to consider is learning the differences between the Track Overview and the Sequence Editor and make selective use of their features. A lot of people, particularly those switching from Cubase and Logic, think they are just two unaccountably odd and different views of the same thing, and suggest the TO is best eliminated. But for better or worse, somethings are better done in one than the other. Deciding how to split functions across the two is a part of setting up a workflow that's best for you. I'd go so far as to say that DP doesn't work well for those who don't develop a structured approach.

I use the TO for setting up signal paths (after setting up Bundles), colour schemes, templates, and general layout. I keep the SE for things where I'm going to focus on a few tracks and the way audio is arranged, and over time, use it less and less in favour of the TO and MIDI Editor. But everyone will approach this differently.
Somethings may be better done in one versus the other but that's no excuse for not being able to use normal selection routines in the sequence editor window. I'm really not that nuts about doing a lot of work in the TO; I can see more of what I need in the SE. I also find it easier for setting things up like paths and such as it allows me to see things in a top down manner much easier. But then again each of us works in a different manner.