Mixer Control Surface for Mixing in DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
wonder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mixer Control Surface for Mixing in DP

Post by wonder »

I don't mix much...but I'm doing a mix on a project right now and am looking for a USB control surface to easily ride faders/pots for volume automation.
I use a Tascam DM24 right now and don't have any automation writing capabilities.

1. Anyone have any recommendations on USB control surfaces?

2. are their any that integrate with DP automatically like the 003 does with PT? (tracks automatically sync up to faders) or do I have to assign each track to a fader?

any suggestions are appreciated.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
menright

Re: Mixer Control Surface for Mixing in DP

Post by menright »

There are some really interesting control surface apps for the iPad, if you have one. Cheap, too.
MacBook Pro 17' 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB, DP9.1, MachFive3, Ethno2, Synthmaster, Waves, UVI, Ableton Live
wonder

Post by wonder »

menright wrote:There are some really interesting control surface apps for the iPad, if you have one. Cheap, too.
appreciated.

but i do like having my hands on physical knobs (thats what she said?) as it seems to write the automation more responsively.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
elcappn

Post by elcappn »

There are the Artist series controllers from Avid. You could also look into a Mackie Control or Behringer BCF2000. If you only need a single fader there is the Presonus FaderPort. All of these are pretty easy to setup with DP.
Chris

2013 Mac Pro 3.5 6-Core 64GB of RAM, 27" Dell Display x 3, macOS 10.15.7, MOTU 1248, MTP AV, Yamaha S90-es, Dave Smith Prophet 12, OB-6 & Arturia Matrix Brute, DP 10.11, Dorico Pro 2, VEP7, All Oxford plugs, PSP, Pro-Q 3, Kontakt, SoundToys, Softube, Exponential Audio Phoenix Verb, R2, Nimbus & R4, LASS+LS, WIVI Brass+Winds, VSL Harps, Falcon, CineSamples, Spitfire, Output, Heavyocity, Scuffham.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

elcappn wrote:There are the Artist series controllers from Avid. You could also look into a Mackie Control or Behringer BCF2000. If you only need a single fader there is the Presonus FaderPort. All of these are pretty easy to setup with DP.
The Presonus FaderPort is not supported in DP8. And depending on the Eucon version (s/w that drives the Artist units) there are issues with that as well. For instance banking channels from the daw gui doesn't bank channels on the controller.
wonder

Post by wonder »

I'm gonna try the korg nanoKontrol2

Hopefully it'll do the job.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Don't know if this is too late, but don't overlook BarfRinger, wonder.

Some good options there.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Heard some good things (surprisingly) about the Behringer X-Touch - maybe they've turned the corner on their QA issues?
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

musicman691 wrote:Heard some good things (surprisingly) about the Behringer X-Touch - maybe they've turned the corner on their QA issues?
Are these released somewhere ?

Klaus
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Klaus wrote:
musicman691 wrote:Heard some good things (surprisingly) about the Behringer X-Touch - maybe they've turned the corner on their QA issues?
Are these released somewhere ?

Klaus
Not to the general public from what I can find although they've been making the rounds of the trade shows and Sweetwater is taking pre-orders for them.
wonder

Post by wonder »

I'm looking into getting rid of my Tascam DM24. Its over 10 years old and since now I"m almost exclusively using CUEMIX ... the Tascam is basically just a speaker controller and 2 channel playback monitor.

I'm going ADAT from my 2408mk2 into the Tascam for playback/recording.
I used to use the Tascam for headphone mixes ... but CUEMIX has taken that over.

Any suggestions on how to replace the Tascams responsibilities but with a surface that can actually control DPs faders? The DM24 can't do that and its a HUGE and almost dead fadered piece of hardware taking up a lot of space.

Are there any control surfaces that can take ADAT in so I can feed DP's output into the surface and then to my control room monitors?
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

wonder wrote:I'm looking into getting rid of my Tascam DM24. Its over 10 years old and since now I"m almost exclusively using CUEMIX ... the Tascam is basically just a speaker controller and 2 channel playback monitor.

I'm going ADAT from my 2408mk2 into the Tascam for playback/recording.
I used to use the Tascam for headphone mixes ... but CUEMIX has taken that over.

Any suggestions on how to replace the Tascams responsibilities but with a surface that can actually control DPs faders? The DM24 can't do that and its a HUGE and almost dead fadered piece of hardware taking up a lot of space.

Are there any control surfaces that can take ADAT in so I can feed DP's output into the surface and then to my control room monitors?
If you can switch over to using the spdif on the 2408 there's the SSL Nucleus with 16 faders. See this page: http://www2.solidstatelogic.com/studio/ ... #&panel1-1
Not cheap at $5500 from Sweetwater
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

FWIW, I've just listed my Mackie MCU + 3 Extenders. 32+1(master) faders.

They are up on ebay right now. Seek and ye shall find em.

Hopefully I didn't just breach a 'no gear ads' policy. If I did - :sorry:
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
wonder

Post by wonder »

In the last few years, Behringer, IMO, has gone from Ford Pinto to Honda Civic. Once used to be a snicker when you mention Behringer but now, i'm seeing some really cool gear and great reviews.

I was looking at the new PowerPlay Headphone setup they have. Looks cool.
kdm
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by kdm »

I too would like to have some motorized faders/integrated control for DP since there is no Eucon support for DP on Windows (have an Artist Control that is pretty much useless). I had a quick look at the Behringer X32 today and faders, knobs and buttons seems pretty decent - better than Presonus new digital console. Never been a Behringer fan or customer, but the X Touch could be worth considering.