Phrase Setting in Track Window

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Musicmind
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Phrase Setting in Track Window

Post by Musicmind »

Hi
I have recorded a MIDI track. First I play a long note and then 2 shorter notes. DP8 Gives me 2 blocks: the first with the long note and the second with the two shorter notes.
My Q is: Why is DP8 giving me 2 blocks, although the notes are recorded in the same pass?
And how can I combine those 2 blocks and into one block?
I have studied the manual, but can't find any answer, hope you can help!
Mac Studio Max 64 gb, PC server 64 gb, MacPro 12 core 48 gb.
DP 11, Pro Tools 11, Logic 10, Cubase 11, Studio One 5... Waves9, All NI, All VSL, LASS 2, Brodway Big Band, UA I & II, Altiverb 7, Arturia Synths, BFD3, Sound Toys, All Toontrack, Ozone, Melodyne, Spectrasonics, UHE.....AND a Steinway Concert Grand model A.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Phrase Setting in Track Window

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Try zooming in?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Musicmind

Post by Musicmind »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Try zooming in?
I don't understand your answer.
DP 11, Pro Tools 11, Logic 10, Cubase 11, Studio One 5... Waves9, All NI, All VSL, LASS 2, Brodway Big Band, UA I & II, Altiverb 7, Arturia Synths, BFD3, Sound Toys, All Toontrack, Ozone, Melodyne, Spectrasonics, UHE.....AND a Steinway Concert Grand model A.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Musicmind wrote:Hi
I have recorded a MIDI track. First I play a long note and then 2 shorter notes. DP8 Gives me 2 blocks: the first with the long note and the second with the two shorter notes.
My Q is: Why is DP8 giving me 2 blocks, although the notes are recorded in the same pass?
And how can I combine those 2 blocks and into one block?
I have studied the manual, but can't find any answer, hope you can help!
The fact that it was recorded in the same pass doesn't really have anything to do with how many "blocks" DP splits the MIDI track up into in the Track Overview. I believe there may be a preference somewhere that will let you set the "sensitivity" of this... meaning that another block won't be created unless there are X number of ticks between the last note off and next note on. I seem to remember seeing that somewhere. Not in front of DP now.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Preferences > Editing > Tracks Overview > Phrase Settings. Control over the way events are grouped is quite limited.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Go to the preferences as described by others.

Change the structure of the parsing so that it makes 8 bar blocks (or however long you want them).

The selections are limited, but if you think about how you're entering the numbers, you can get pretty creative and get very close to what you want.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Musicmind

Post by Musicmind »

Thanks I will try that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Musicmind wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Try zooming in?
I don't understand your answer.
Sorry for the delay in responding. For some reason I was under the impression that zooming in "combined" blocks" but I just got around to trying it and apparent it doesn't. Sorry for the misinformation.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Musicmind

Post by Musicmind »

;-)