Aux Track/Bussing/Bundle in Song Tracks problem

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stringtheory
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Aux Track/Bussing/Bundle in Song Tracks problem

Post by stringtheory »

Hi all - I've wrapped my head around "Song Chunks" for use in a live set with a band, and it's working pretty darn well for us except for one issue that has just cropped up. I've tried to explain it clearly, but as you know, between audio terminology, music terminology, and MOTU terminology, there's lots of room for ambiguity! I hope this is relatively clear...

I have about 16 sequence chunks in a single project for a live set, each containing backing tracks for a single piece of music. These sequences are organized into 4 “Song” chunks, each with 4 sequences, as segments of the live set, so that flow in each segment can be carefully timed, and i can switch easily from one Song Chunk to the next using a footpedal (also, I start each chunk playing by using a footpedal).

Each sequence has several tracks of vocals & backing vox, bussed together to a single aux track. This, plus other aux tracks for keyboards, sound fx, etc, are in a V-rack which outputs mono stems from an 828mkII to the house. This all works great, just as we wanted it to.

I want to buss all the lead vox tracks together in the mixing board, not the V-rack, so we can do some automating of the lead vox in each track. So, I created a Lead Vox bundle, bussed the lead vox tracks in each sequence via that to a Lead Vox aux track in the mixing board for each piece - nothing to do with the V-Rack. The output of that aux track goes to the main vox buss in the V-rack. When I play back each sequence individually, this works perfectly.

Here’s the problem: when I play any of the sequences as part of its Song Chunk, the Lead Vox buss in EVERY sequence is activated, receives the input from the sequence that’s playing, and feeds the main vox buss, and the lead vocal suddenly becomes overwhelmingly loud - peaking, of course.

As I’m playing a sequence, as part of a Song Chunk, I can look at the mixing board for any of the other sequences, and nothing is registering a level (of course) except the Lead Vox aux track - even though a different sequence is playing. If I do the same test when playing a sequence as an individual piece, not as part of a Song Chunk, nothing registers in the Lead Vox aux track.

I am very confused…it seems that DP handles busses differently in Song Chunks and individual sequences within the same project. Has anyone dealt with this and found a solution?

Thanks,

Tony
Last edited by stringtheory on Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
27" iMac 4.0GHz (late 2015), 32G RAM, OSX 10.13.6, DP10.01, UAD Apollo Duo TB, MTPAV USB (also 2021 14" MBP M1 Pro, 32G RAM, Apollo Twin Duo TB)
Shooshie

Re: Aux Track/Bussing/Bundle in Song Tracks problem

Post by Shooshie »

I have not fully comprehended what you're trying to do, because I'm short on time, but I have a suggestion. If it doesn't work, I'll come back later and re-read your post to try to understand it better. You seem to be doing something in the bussing that may be violating common sense when all chunks are in a Song Chunk; I'm not sure without studying it for a moment.

For now, convert the Song Chunk back into a Sequence. Things work better that way. You may at least be able to see what's happening a little easier. The Song Chunk is more of a step in a process, not a final destination. It just doesn't have the editing or playback options that a sequence has.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
stringtheory

Post by stringtheory »

many thanks, shooshie, for taking the time to look and reply. the word i was missing was "sequence," so i have edited my original post to use that word where appropriate; maybe that will make my question clearer.
27" iMac 4.0GHz (late 2015), 32G RAM, OSX 10.13.6, DP10.01, UAD Apollo Duo TB, MTPAV USB (also 2021 14" MBP M1 Pro, 32G RAM, Apollo Twin Duo TB)
Tim

Post by Tim »

Without seeing all that's going on in your file, I guess the first thing I'd try is use a different lead vox aux buss for each sequence, and buss those to the v-rack one.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Cripes! :shock:

A veritable novel!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
stringtheory

Post by stringtheory »

thanks tim - i've thought of that, guess i'll give it a try. means a heck of a lot of busses, but maybe that's my punishment for such a long post...mr. monkey man, i know, and if you can describe my issue in a shorter space please feel free to do so! :lol: :lol: :lol: