Only 4 MIDI ports

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
comp15
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Only 4 MIDI ports

Post by comp15 »

I downloaded the most recent version of VEPro 5 (ver# 5.4.13715). However, the most MIDI channels I can add in a new instance is 4 ports (64 MIDI channels). I definitely don't need 478 MIDI channels. However, based on my current needs, I would use about 135 (including different articulations and such).

I double checked to make sure the VEPro 5 preferences indicate 48 MIDI ports and it does. Are there any other settings for which I should check? Also, is there anything on DP's end I should adjust (i imagine it's on VEPro's end but just want to make sure).

thanks
HARDWARE:
MAC HOST: 2.8 GHz 2010 Quad-Core Intel Xeon; Memory 32 GB OSX Ver 10.7.5
PC SLAVE: ASUS Sabertooth X79 ATX Intel Motherboard; Intel Core i7-4730K 3.2GHz Six-Core Desktop Processor; CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB Ram (8 x 8GB); Corsair Obsidian Series 900D CC-9011022--WW Black Computer Case; Steinberg UR22; Win 8.1

SAMPLE LIBRARIES (only on PC Slave): East West Hollywood Diamond libraries of Strings, Brass, Woodwinds and Percussion, Symphonic Orchestra, Pianos Platinum, Symphonic Choirs, RA
comp15

Re: Only 4 MIDI ports

Post by comp15 »

After I added the 48 ports using VEPro preferences, I see the 48 available MIDI ports in the cascading input menus with DP. However, I am able to instantiate only 64 MIDI channels and not 768. Vienna Ensemble support has confirmed with me that it's something on DP's end. Is it correct that only 4 ports can be opened in DP?
HARDWARE:
MAC HOST: 2.8 GHz 2010 Quad-Core Intel Xeon; Memory 32 GB OSX Ver 10.7.5
PC SLAVE: ASUS Sabertooth X79 ATX Intel Motherboard; Intel Core i7-4730K 3.2GHz Six-Core Desktop Processor; CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB Ram (8 x 8GB); Corsair Obsidian Series 900D CC-9011022--WW Black Computer Case; Steinberg UR22; Win 8.1

SAMPLE LIBRARIES (only on PC Slave): East West Hollywood Diamond libraries of Strings, Brass, Woodwinds and Percussion, Symphonic Orchestra, Pianos Platinum, Symphonic Choirs, RA
FMiguelez

Re: Only 4 MIDI ports

Post by FMiguelez »

Use Event Inputs in VE Pro.

VSL is supposed to be fixing it for DP, but in the mean time, you can do that.

I've been working like this for years, and it's always been reliable. Even if they release the DP fix and a way to avoid using Event Inputs, I probably won't bother updating my template. I don't see the need.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman