How to make clippings

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
musicman691

How to make clippings

Post by musicman691 »

I've been trying to make some clippings but am not having much luck. Been reading the manual page 647 on how to make clippings. I select a bunch of tracks (one MIDI, one Instrument and a number of audio tracks - this is in relation to a previous thread where I asked about track presets vis-a-vis BFD3) and when I go to click on the Copy To Clipping menu item it's greyed out. Does this whether I'm using the Tracks or Sequence windows. Somehow I got lucky one time and managed to create a clipping which resides in my clippings window. I went to use that clipping in another DP project and some of the routings were coming up italicized (I know how to correct that). So I went back to the original project I used to make the clipping and ran into the above issue. And for the life of me I can't seem to create a new clipping.

What am I doing wrong or missing?

Second question: if my routings are correct in the original project why would they come up italicized when used in another project?
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How to make clippings

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Create a clipping window FIRST. Then you should see the option of which window to add to.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Create a clipping window FIRST. Then you should see the option of which window to add to.
I did create a clipping window first and like I said in my post somehow I managed to make a clipping and put it in the clipping window but everytime I go to make a new clipping the menu option is greyed out.
MIDI Life Crisis

It's not the same menu item to create v. save to a clipping window. Are you sure you're the selecting the correct menu? I believe you have to have the item selected and then select the save to menu item (I think it's under the edit menu - been away from the studio for a week).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:It's not the same menu item to create v. save to a clipping window. Are you sure you're the selecting the correct menu? I believe you have to have the item selected and then select the save to menu item (I think it's under the edit menu - been away from the studio for a week).
Yes I have the right menu. I created the clipping window first (Digital Performer). Then I selected the tracks I wanted to save as a clipping. Then I went to the Edit menu and choose the Copy To Clipping Window command but that's, as I said, greyed out. I also tried the key combo Command-Option-C and that didn't work. These are empty tracks so I can have a drag and drop for my drum tracks set up with a MIDI track, Instrument track for BFD3 and a number of audio tracks that are fed from individual outputs in BFD3. Just as I wrote about in a previous thread here.

Been following the manual all along.
frankf

How to make clippings

Post by frankf »

Make sure you have selected data in the tracks before any copy action. Check the selection bounds in the info bar or selection window.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
MIDI Life Crisis

Ah, empty tracks. I think data has to be in there. Try adding some.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Ah, empty tracks. I think data has to be in there. Try adding some.
I'll have to give that a try but then I'd have to delete the data when I pull it into a project. I wanted this particular thing to act as sort of a template if you will as I wrote before. Funny thing is the manual doesn't mention anything about having to have data in the tracks; it says clippings can be just about anything. Also no mention of having to make a timeline selection either.

BTW - is there any way to do a multi-quote where one can quote more than one post?
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

frankf wrote:Make sure you have selected data in the tracks before any copy action. Check the selection bounds in the info bar or selection window.
I have no data in there because I want this to act as sort of a template and having data there I'd have to delete it whenever I pull it into a project. You can make a timeline selection and pull that in as a clipping; however the manual says a clipping can be just about anything. Doesn't say you have to have data in a track or make a timeline selection to make a clipping.
MIDI Life Crisis

Actually, I think you are correct. I do have some clippings that are template tracks with no data. I am finally back in the studio and tried it and I also cannot save anything to a clippings window. Might be a bug but why all of a sudden? I saved clippings while in DP 8.07 before.

I'll post a techlink to MOTU and suggest you do the same. Hopefully someone will jump in and set up straight. Also, when I tried to use an existing clipping, it crashed DP the first time. Then I relaunched and it worked.

Sorry for any misinformation previously.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

STRIKE THAT!

Don't just select the track name, but also select the EMPTY AREA where the data would be if it were there. You should be able to add the empty tracks to the clipping window now.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

DP treats clipping windows as folders and apparently, wants to see more than just the track names selected. I'm not sure why but it does work once you select the blank data area to the right of the track. Go figure!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Actually, I think you are correct. I do have some clippings that are template tracks with no data. I am finally back in the studio and tried it and I also cannot save anything to a clippings window. Might be a bug but why all of a sudden? I saved clippings while in DP 8.07 before.

I'll post a techlink to MOTU and suggest you do the same. Hopefully someone will jump in and set up straight. Also, when I tried to use an existing clipping, it crashed DP the first time. Then I relaunched and it worked.

Sorry for any misinformation previously.
Not a problem. It's one of those things it's hard to picture in the mind's eye but makes sense when you actually see it in action.

FYI - I grabbed the latest download of DP 8.07 and it does the same thing.

edit:
We must have been typing at the same time. Saw your other two posts - so one has to make a timeline selection in at least one of the tracks even though there's no data there? This is one of those things that would have been nice to see in the manual. This might make a good addition to the DP Tips Sheet thread as there's probably others that either are struggling with the same thing or will be in the future.
MIDI Life Crisis

How to make clippings

Or better yet, just let us select the track names and not have to make a time based selection. But as you said, once you actually see it and think about how they are saving the data it makes some sense. Anyway, get back to work! LOL. Me too...
Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Hey, nice thread, guys. I learned some things from this. 8) That's always fun.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4