How to make clippings

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
frankf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How to make clippings

Post by frankf »

It's easy enough to test this: put a cc7=127 in bar 1 of a MIDI track and volume=0 in an audio track and see if it works

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

No need. As long as a time based selection is actively selected you can make a clipping. I was wrong in an earlier post when I said data needed to be present.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
frankf

Post by frankf »

Yes, and I was wrong also. No data need to be present. What MLC said.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
remmet

Post by remmet »

I was researching the same issue and saw this thread from 2015. I'm baffled by the same thing, this time in DP10. I created a custom Bundles configuration. I created a DP Clippings window and named it Bundles. I made the newly created Bundles configuration active and went to Edit/Copy to Clipping Window and it pointed to a grayed out text: Copy to Bundles.

As far as I could tell, I followed the manual to a T. And it doesn't seem to work. Has this problem found a solution during the last 4 years?

Richard
Mac mini 2018 3.2GHz i7; OS X 10.144.6; 64 GB RAM; DP 10.1; Apollo X6; Kontakt 6; Omnisphere II; Adagio Everything, Spitfire almost Everything, Berlin Winds and Brass, Xosphere 2, and endless other sample libraries, acoustic and electric guitars, and assorted other essentials that have helped make me the "almost break even guy" my accountant so admires.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I don't know how you would directly send a bundle to a clipping, but you can export bundles from the mini menu in the Bundles window. That creates a .bundexp file that you can put anywhere with the resulting save dialog. You could save it to your custom clippings folder, or drag it there later. But probably just as easy or easier to keep a specific folder for bundles and access via the mini menu.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
roriol

Post by roriol »

I occasionally have the same problem with the grey-out clipping menu, here in 2020 on DP10. After my first encounter with it, I finally gave up and went to bed. The next morning, after starting everything up, the menu was no longer greyed out and I was back in business.

I am using clippings extensively, as a template like original post here mentioned. Most of my tracks ARE empty, but that doesn't seem to be the issue. For what it's worth, I found that when I went in end edited the PerfClippingPrefs.xml doc in each clipping folder to change order of items in the menu, sometimes that would cause greyed out clipping menu until I restarted the computer. I edit the these files because dragging an item up or down in the window in an attempt to change the order, doesn't seem to do anything except move that item all the way to the bottom.

My only regret is making all my clipping windows "Digital Performer Clipping Windows" instead of Project specific. I'm hoping there s a way to convert them. That's my latest challenge...

Robert
roriol

Post by roriol »

My theory has been debunked. I have a greyed-out Copy to Clipping Window menu. I can see all my existing Clipping Windows there, they're just all grey-out. I've rebooted to no avail. I can drag existing clippings into tracks just fine, I just can't seem to add anything to those windows anymore. The new tracks I'm trying to add have the same inputs and outputs as everything else in those windows.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Robert
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

You don't have to have any data in the tracks. You can just highlight the first (empty) measure and make a clipping.

I ALWAYS save before making a clipping. DP (9.52, and previous versions) crashes about 50% of the time when making clippings.

I love them, they are handy, but it does tend to crash DP.

On another note, I went back to 9.52 from 10.1 because dragging clipping events into the conductor track has gotten more difficult with DP 10. It now makes you confirm with a dialog window, and it is also pauses DP for a second for some reason.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
grouse

Post by grouse »

I resurrecting this thread again as I am having an issue around routing and italicized outputs.

I spent most of the day today organinsing stuff that I hadn't dealt with in a while, things like bundles, mix routing, templates, clippings and found myself searching this forum a bit.

Mainly my problem is this: I can create and save a track as a clipping but when I drag it into the Tracks Overview the input and outputs are italicized.
This is after making sure Bundles are identical in all projects/ templates.

(This was asked as the second question in the OP but I don't think it was mentioned after that)

It could be related tho another issue I've had for years. Sometimes (it seems to be random) when I switch sequences in the same project all my VI MIDI outputs become italicized. I have to switch them all back one by one (and hope I get them right!)

Does anyone have any ideas or tips to avoid/ eradicate this issue?

Cheers.
DP 7.24, Focusrite 18i20, 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, OSX 10.9.5, 4 GB RAM, Reason 10, Kontakt, Motif +++
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

grouse wrote:I resurrecting this thread again as I am having an issue around routing and italicized outputs.

I spent most of the day today organinsing stuff that I hadn't dealt with in a while, things like bundles, mix routing, templates, clippings and found myself searching this forum a bit.

Mainly my problem is this: I can create and save a track as a clipping but when I drag it into the Tracks Overview the input and outputs are italicized.
This is after making sure Bundles are identical in all projects/ templates.

(This was asked as the second question in the OP but I don't think it was mentioned after that)

It could be related tho another issue I've had for years. Sometimes (it seems to be random) when I switch sequences in the same project all my VI MIDI outputs become italicized. I have to switch them all back one by one (and hope I get them right!)

Does anyone have any ideas or tips to avoid/ eradicate this issue?

Cheers.
This has happened to me too.

It only seems to work for me with stuff like that if NOTHING ever changes in your setup, which is of course pretty impossible.

Maybe someone smarter than me can chime in here.

Also, as an aside, "copy to clipping window" is one of the things that regularly crashes DP for me.

I always hit save before I do it?
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Happened to me too, but I don't think it has happened in V10. Someone (maybe FM?) had lots of problems with Bundles and there was quite a discussion on it at the time. He also had some tips on laying out bundles that were quite clever.

One thing you can do is export your bundles when you have them the way you want them. Then if they disappear or change, you can just import them again. When you do this, they will not appear in the Bundles window until you close Bundles and open it again.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

bayswater wrote:Happened to me too, but I don't think it has happened in V10. Someone (maybe FM?) had lots of problems with Bundles and there was quite a discussion on it at the time. He also had some tips on laying out bundles that were quite clever.

One thing you can do is export your bundles when you have them the way you want them. Then if they disappear or change, you can just import them again. When you do this, they will not appear in the Bundles window until you close Bundles and open it again.
Maybe this is a different discussion or thread, but I tried making bundles for different setups, one in my studio, the other writing away from home.

Then just switching/importing bundles for each place was the idea.

Two different interfaces, one The Mothership with everything connected and all the preamps and surround outputs and everything else, the other just a stereo out for writing so I could hear it with a different small, half-rack interface.

The problem was not being able to hear a stereo out...it was that switching back and forth, all of the VE Pro Server inputs, VI's, as well as DP busses, routings, stems etc. would all get completely lost switching bundles?

I finally put a small 2-space Anvil rack together with my main audio interface in it so wherever I go, DP sees the same principal interface and doesn't get confused. It just assumes I am home.

If I am doing this wrong somehow, I'd like to know as it would make life much easier?

Anyone out there?

But having to come home and re-assign a gazillion things that got lost somehow switching back and forth isn't pleasant or even realistic.
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

Bundles is a whole other subject. When importing a new one I had exported earlier, I always make certain to select all and delete the present bundles first, then the import doesn't try to "merge" with the present ones. (Import does not "write over" existing entries with the same names.) If you use the "Clear and Import" choice it helps, but it will NOT clear the MIDI devices assignments and will cause duplicates, so at least select and delete everything in there before doing the import. Still, the track does not automatically adapt to the new bundle - there is still a lot of manual work involved. The track-assignments window helps, but it is still a pain.

I've been making clippings all evening of empty track layouts from the Tracks view. One thing I've learned is to get my instruments into a folder, then the MIDI pointing to those instruments into another folder. I then cmd/ctrl click each FOLDER so they are both selected, go to the edit menu and add what I've selected to a [PROJECT] clipping window. (See this post.) It then copies the MIDI tracks correctly routed to their instrument tracks, so that enabling the instrument de-italicizes the target in the MIDI track.

BTW - making a folder of MIDI tracks that point to a V-rack will apparently "know" the V-rack is there if you've added the V-rack instrument already.

Creating and adding folders of tracks (MIDI, Aux, Instrument, & Audio) is the ultimate way to go with clippings, I've found. Just remember if you have routing set up to copy both folders (source and destination) into the clipping together by selecting both folders.

It works similarly with sub-busses which have SENDS or output routing to an FX containing a plugin-hosting AUX or (better for pregen) audio track. Select the submix bus first, then the destination FX track so both are selected, then add both to the clipping window together, and they will remember their sends and/or output destinations.

Terry
Last edited by terrybritton on Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
grouse

Post by grouse »

terrybritton wrote: Creating and adding folders of tracks (MIDI, Aux, Instrument, & Audio) is the ultimate way to go with clippings, I've found.
Interesting. You're talking about DP tracks folders here right? Not OS folders. Just want to make sure!
What I found is that the the folders don't get saved with the clip.
I didn't get into VI and MIDI tracks, just want to keep it simple for testing purposes.
So if I save a track or tracks within a folder as a clipping and then drag that clipping into a new project, the tracks appear but not the folder.

The other thing I think I've found is, if I use the clipping for a new project using a template from which the clipping was created, the inputs/ outputs are not italicized.

So if I create a clipping using my 'New' template and then try to use that clipping in a different project created also from the 'New' template it'll work as desired.

This makes the concept of Templates and Clippings great separately but not really together :?

Again, as far Bundles go, I've made sure I have imported the same Bundle across all templates. I understand how, if I didn't do that, even if the names were the same, DP might not recognise a clipping's routing.
Last edited by grouse on Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP 7.24, Focusrite 18i20, 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, OSX 10.9.5, 4 GB RAM, Reason 10, Kontakt, Motif +++
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

grouse wrote:
terrybritton wrote: Creating and adding folders of tracks (MIDI, Aux, Instrument, & Audio) is the ultimate way to go with clippings, I've found.
Interesting. You're talking about DP tracks folders here right? Not OS folders. Just want to make sure!
What I found is that the the folders don't get saved with the clip.
I didn't get into VI and MIDI tracks, just want to keep it simple for testing purposes.
So if I save a track or tracks within a folder as a clipping and then drag that clipping into a new project, the tracks appear but not the folder.

The other thing I think I've found is, if I use the clipping for a new project using a template from which the clipping was created, the inputs/ outputs are not iticized.

So if I create a clipping using my 'New' template and then try to us that clipping in a different project created also from the 'New' template it'll work as desired.

This makes the concept of Templates and Clippings great separately but not really together :?

Again, as far Bundles go, I've made sure I have imported the same Bundle across all templates. I understand how, if I didn't do that, even if the names were the same, DP might not recognise a clipping's routing.
I am in Windows, and the folders are retained (even repeated) when I drag the clipping in. The important part for the routing was that I select both source and destination together to make the clipping. Only then does the routing work. If I make a clipping of the instrument, and then drag that in, followed by making a clipping of the MIDI which is dragged in separately, then the routes to the instruments are italicized. The two folders have to be placed into the clipping at the same time.

I can imagine that if you are changing the bundles around then that would break the routing, as your names have all changed with the different bundle as regards the clip's information. I have tested using a "New Sequence" chunk as my test base to drag into and all the connections and routing were retained, and folders were also retained. I have not tried doing it with a fresh project.

I'll make a video today showing what I'm doing.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools