Lock tracks to each-other / stems

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I would love to have a way to lock audio tracks to each-other and edit them en-masse.

When we are moving and editing stereo and surround stem-mixes to new picture-cuts, there is quite a bit of editing.

You don't want stuff getting out-of-phase if it is slightly nudged.

If you could just lock sets of tracks to other tracks and edit them together, music-editing for picture would be so much easier.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Lock tracks to each-other / stems

Post by philbrown »

Track groups.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Am I missing something with that?

Open the fit window, it doesn't lock tracks to each other in the timeline for editing.

Is there another way to do this?
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

He means "look up 'track groups' in the manual."

You're not finding this feature because of terminology meltdown. You don't "lock" tracks together ("lock" refers to a whole other set of time controls), you "group" them (and then whatever you do to one track in the group gets done to all of them).
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Hey man…I'll try this.

Just dragging a track in the editing window, after I grouped them, does not drag the other tracks.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong here?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

If I understand what you're trying to do, I don't think DP can do it. Just grouping tracks won't anyway. Maybe you can get something like it:
- extract a groove from one of the tracks and apply it to the others.
- build a tempo map from one track and quantize the others to the tempo that results. Alternatively, chop up the audio and quantize the soundbite sync points.
- if there aren't a lot of tracks to deal with, dump them all into a surround track and edit that

Logic X has a feature that defines one of the tracks as the timeline and controls playback of the others, but it doesn't seem to work that well. It gets closer to what I think you want to do, but DP can more or less so the same with the first two options above.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Tim

Post by Tim »

Selected soundbites should move around together and stay in perfect sync. When Grouped (and the proper grouping parameters are selected... like Edit mode), clicking on one soundbite in the group will select all others that start and end at the same time. If the soundbites do not all start and end at the exact same points, clicking on one will not select all the others in the group... shift-click.
Last edited by Tim on Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Not sure if this helps you: In the Tracks Overview, clicking in the horizontal bar for the track folder selects all the tracks within that folder.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I must not be understanding the original question. As I understand your post, Track Groups will do exactly what you're asking. I use them all day along exactly as (I think) you're describing. DP8 manual p163-165, specifically Edit Groups on p165. If that doesn't answer your question, please post what it's not accomplishing that you want to do and maybe we can sort it out.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Yeah, if that's not working, they're not grouped. Double check your findings...
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Maybe I'm on crack…but…

Select two audio tracks.

Group them as a new group, and make sure the group is enabled.

Open the edit window

Drag just one of the tracks in the editor.

Does the other track move too?
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

JSmith1234567 wrote:Maybe I'm on crack…but…

Select two audio tracks.

Group them as a new group, and make sure the group is enabled.

Open the edit window

Drag just one of the tracks in the editor.

Does the other track move too?
Maybe the step you're missing is where you customize the group settings. "Selection" is one of the items you can check in the list. And yes... they all move together.

Here are the settings in the list:
You can see what the options are. To open this window, you must click on the group type in the right-hand column of the group window.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
frankf

Post by frankf »

the OP IMO is asking two different questions or asking one that is really two. maybe he can clarify which of the following he's asking about.
If DP has:
1. The ability to MOVE selected tracks with all their data to a different place in the track list. Multiple selected tracks cannot be moved simultaneously by dragging. There are Move commands that he can use, however. One is Move selected tracks to be together. Check the commands window.
2. The ability to Edit data in selected tracks simultaneously. This is done by grouping the tracks and checking the Editing box as others have described.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I took the question to be about whether DP can edit multiple tracks in a manner that one might use to deal with drum tracks, "locking" them together to avoid phasing that might result from moving or stretching them.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
frankf

Post by frankf »

Me too, but he says "when MOVING and editing...' ( my caps)

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB