Lock tracks to each-other / stems

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Lock tracks to each-other / stems

Post by JSmith1234567 »

No I meant sliding a track and the rest of the tracks slide too because they would be locked together.

Basically We have the music stereo and stem mixes for a film, and need to slide them around and do edits as the film is edited and re-edited.

The basic "music editor" job.

You can highlight a number of tracks and slide them that way, but you can't lock them to each other so they stay in phase.

you can't slide one track and all the other slide unless they are all highlighted.

A little mistaken inadvertent mouse nudge here and there and everything is off.

Also the ability to make an edit in one of these locked-together tracks and the same edit or crossfade is made in the others without having to highlight them all.

Music-editing for picture isn't as simple as making one move and one crossfade.

There is a ton of jiggling around and sliding and cross-fading of mixes and stems to get things toy land right and the time to sound right.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by philbrown »

JSmith1234567 wrote:No I meant sliding a track and the rest of the tracks slide too because they would be locked together.

Basically We have the music stereo and stem mixes for a film, and need to slide them around and do edits as the film is edited and re-edited.

You can highlight a number of tracks and slide them that way, but you can't lock them to each other so they stay in phase.

you can't slide one track and all the other slide unless they are all highlighted.

Also the ability to make an edit in one of these locked-together tracks and the same edit or crossfade is made in the others without having to highlight them all.

There is a ton of jiggling around and sliding and cross-fading of mixes and stems to get things toy land right and the time to sound right.
Several of us are trying to help you, but not getting answers to questions we've asked that might lead to a solution. I move locked i.e. grouped tracks together and crossfade multiple tracks all day long, it works perfectly in DP, but I can't tell from your posts if you've even tried to use track groups as we have suggested. Have you?
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

JSmith1234567 wrote:No I meant sliding a track and the rest of the tracks slide too because they would be locked together.

In my only other post in this thread, I showed you a graphic of the checkboxes you check to do all the things you mention. IF you have not done this, then this is a mere case of user error.

IF you HAVE done this, and if it's still not working, you need to reinstall DP, because for the rest of us, this works without error. Yes, everything you described works without error. Always, AFAIK. Yes, I mean it. No, I'm not misunderstanding you. I understand what you want it to do, and yes, it DOES WORK THAT WAY!!! Please review my previous post and see if you've been doing this correctly. This thread ends here until you figure out whether it's you or DP, and if it's DP you need to reinstall it. If it still does not work, call MOTU, because you have some other serious problem. DP works. I use the grouping all the time to "lock" (your word) it in phase. It works. Yes, I mean it.

You so much as touch one track, and they all are highlighted. Edit a track and it edits them all. Cut one and it cuts them all. Comp one and it comps them all. So much as nudge one track, and they all move in phase. Yes... it works. DP does this and always has. It still does this, and will do it tomorrow. Go back to my previous post and figure out the problem you're having with it, please.

I just don't know how many times it needs to be said. IT WORKS.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

This thread reminds me of the old blues song:
I ask her where she goin'.
She tell me where she been.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
frankf

Post by frankf »

I just checked this and had no problem moving (sliding) multiple tracks. My guess is that you are not making a time range selection. Clicking on a soundbite does not necessarily a time range selection make.
Here are 2 ways that I do this,
Option 1.
- Make a custom group with the tracks you want as members and make sure Selection is checked
- Make a Time Range selection over 1 of the tracks with the I-Beam tool. All of the tracks in the group will show this selection. You must select ALL the data in the track.
-Drag and they all will move. Option drag to copy. For more exact placement, including to markers, use the Shift command.

Option 2:
-Using the group you made in option 1, click on the longest SB to highlight it. This does not change the active selection to the beginning and end (the bounds) of the SB. Make sure the Selection Info Bar is open and you will see this. It also does not highlight the other tracks in the group because by clicking on the SB you do not change the selection bounds.
-To turn the currently highlighted SB bounds into the selection range, from the selection bar mini menu, choose "Set to Selection Bounds". The selection will be changed to the bounds of the longest SB and all of your grouped SBs will be selected and available to be dragged or Shifted.

There may be more ways to do this
Selection in DP is dee. Read the manual on Selections. Also, Shooshie has posted an excellent tutorial on Selecting in DP in the Tips section. It's worth a read.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I don't know, Frank, but if I so much as click on a soundbite that's in a grouped track, it selects all the others that go with it. I record with multiple microphones (usually a mono and a stereo pair, three tracks) which I keep grouped for that reason: phase issues. If I click any of them or comp them or anything else, it happens to all of them. I don't have to select the time range; just click.

Maybe it works differently when the soundbites are diverse; not the exact same material from multiple mics. I haven't tested that in a long time, so maybe I've forgotten how things work. I do find myself forgetting a lot of stuff these days. Rather, it just takes a while to remember it. When you've been on top of things most of your life, it seems like every neuron's passing is a terrifying experience! But I use grouped tracks like that every night when I work, and I can vouch for their current operability.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Tim

Post by Tim »

I think jsmith would like to Group Soundbites together, not just Tracks. With Track Grouping, Soundbites aren't fully grouped, (in that they won't all be selected when one of them is clicked on) unless they all have the exact start and end points.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Ah, well, if that's the case, then I apologize for my loss of patience a couple posts back. I'm about to start working for the evening. I'll test that here. I just don't remember it being like that, but as I said earlier, it's been a long, long time since I've needed to group non-identical soundbites for anything.

Shoosh
frankf

Post by frankf »

Shooshie wrote:I don't know, Frank, but if I so much as click on a soundbite that's in a grouped track, it selects all the others that go with it. I record with multiple microphones (usually a mono and a stereo pair, three tracks) which I keep grouped for that reason: phase issues. If I click any of them or comp them or anything else, it happens to all of them. I don't have to select the time range; just click.

Maybe it works differently when the soundbites are diverse; not the exact same material from multiple mics. I haven't tested that in a long time, so maybe I've forgotten how things work. I do find myself forgetting a lot of stuff these days. Rather, it just takes a while to remember it. When you've been on top of things most of your life, it seems like every neuron's passing is a terrifying experience! But I use grouped tracks like that every night when I work, and I can vouch for their current operability.

Shoosh
I grouped 2 audio and 1 MIDI tracks in my test. They did not all start at the same time. I had to do what I described to get all track data to move simultaneously. So you could be right that there is difference behavior if the data starts at different times. If you get a chance to look at it, let us know what you find.
Frank Ferrucci
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
frankf

Post by frankf »

Tim wrote:I think jsmith would like to Group Soundbites together, not just Tracks. With Track Grouping, Soundbites aren't fully grouped, (in that they won't all be selected when one of them is clicked on) unless they all have the exact start and end points.
This is what I found and posted (in many more words than you Tim). Thus I had to convert the highlighted SB to a selection. BTW, I use "All Selections" for cursor selection mode
Frank Ferrucci
Tim

Post by Tim »

frankf wrote: This is what I found and posted (in many more words than you Tim). Thus I had to convert the highlighted SB to a selection. BTW, I use "All Selections" for cursor selection mode
Yeah... What you said is pretty much the solution. Make a broad Selection with I-beam, or click one of the Soundbites and Grow that Selection to the rest in the group, which Option-Shift-Up or Down Arrow will do with grouped tracks.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Yep, You guys are right. I grouped non-identical tracks, and they don't "lock." My identical tracks from 3 mics will stay together when grouped.

Shooshie