show only the used tracks?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
swpowe
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

show only the used tracks?

Post by swpowe »

I'm wondering if there's a key command or option to show only used tracks in different windows. Specifically the Mixer window. I've got several folders each assigned to either a v-rack instrument or an instrument in the sequence and each folder has several tracks in it. Some tracks contain MIDI data and others haven't been used yet. When I open the mixer it shows everything. What I'd like to is to quickly be able to show only those tracks that contain MIDI data. Is this possible or do I have to do it manually? Any suggestions on how I could achieve this?
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: show only the used tracks?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Let me guess... Several hundred tracks in large orchestral templates?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
doodles

Post by doodles »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Let me guess... Several hundred tracks in large orchestral templates?
:lol:

this would be amazing if there was a function for this.

But no, not that I'm aware of.
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
MIDI Life Crisis

The mixer is the exception. If no data is present, graphic windows are only data. Track folders & the track selector are your friend, even in the mixing board. Along these lines, delete unused tracks would also be nice.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
frankf

Post by frankf »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:The mixer is the exception. If no data is present, graphic windows are only data. Track folders & the track selector are your friend, even in the mixing board. Along these lines, delete unused tracks would also be nice.
I have an "Unused" (tracks) folder for this. For example If I'm using a solo trumpet track and have a french horn track in Unused>brass folder I use the " moved selected tracks together" command to move the French horn out.

I also use Groups with Show/Hide track checked. You can have a Group called In Use or Current. If you keep the Groups Window in the Consolidated window side bar (Or visible if you are not), you can easily add tracks and remove them from any group using key commands.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
MIDI Life Crisis

Exactly!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
billf

Post by billf »

frankf wrote:I have an "Unused" (tracks) folder for this. For example If I'm using a solo trumpet track and have a french horn track in Unused>brass folder I use the " moved selected tracks together" command to move the French horn out.

I also use Groups with Show/Hide track checked. You can have a Group called In Use or Current. If you keep the Groups Window in the Consolidated window side bar (Or visible if you are not), you can easily add tracks and remove them from any group using key commands.
I do this too. It works great as a solution, and then I just exclude the unused items from the mixer.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
cowtothesky

Post by cowtothesky »

Great idea! Maybe we should add this to the DP wish list.

I would like to see some kind of toggle on/off feature. For example, lets say I have 15 tracks recorded out of 110 tracks. If you toggle it on, you only see the 15 tracks. Off, you see all 110 tracks as usual. This would really make it quick and easy to condense things down on a case by case basis. It should only tag MIDI note data, not automation. I, and many others, have their volume automation set at the beginning of each track. It wouldn't be very useful if it read that information as a 'recorded track'.
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
labman

Post by labman »

Great idea. This type of feature request might actually make devices like the Euphonix controllers usable with large track count. That would make me happy! Using Eucon with anything near our normal orch template count and it bring DP to its knees. Its because the eucon needs immediate access to all the hundred plus trks in the DP session.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
MIDI Life Crisis

I wonder if there's a way to set the search parameters so the results are just tracks with notes?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I would love this feature too.

It would make mixing so much more transparent.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro