Catch previous MIDI events in playback

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
massimosammi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Catch previous MIDI events in playback

Post by massimosammi »

Hello there,
is there a way to have DP refer to previous MIDI events for the playback of a passage?

These are the examples:
- I have a passage with pedal down (CC64 at 127) held over a series of notes, but I'd like to start the playback in the middle, still hearing the notes played with the pedal down;
- I have previous keyswitches and I'd like to start in the middle of the passage, without having to go back where the keyswitch occurs in order to have the articulation changed;
- I have several CCs (2,7,11) set at different values before the passage I'm playing and I'd like the playback to reflect that.

Thanks in advance for your help!
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Catch previous MIDI events in playback

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Chase controllers
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yup.

Setup Menu/Event Chasing...

You can specify which controllers to chase or chase all. If you turn on notes, it'll play any currently sustaining notes, even if the attack is before the playback wiper. Sometimes that's handy-- sometimes it is madness (i.e., when notes are loops).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
massimosammi

Post by massimosammi »

Thanks! Will that work also for the keyswitches?
MIDI Life Crisis

Probably not.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

No, DP will not chase notes (your key switches), only controller (CC) data.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Maybe DP9 will make it possible to put key switches in a dedicated lane that can be chased. Meanwhile, I wonder if we could use a Custom Console to translate a CC (e.g. using controllers 102-120) value to the corresponding Note On message. That would be chaseable.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
massimosammi

Post by massimosammi »

Thanks a lot, that's really a great idea, with Vienna Instrument you can switch between cells with a CC, I'll definitely try that.

Best,
Massi

- Late 2011 8,2 MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, OS 10.10.2, 480GB Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G SSD OS Drive, 480GB OWC Mercury Electra 3G SSD - Optical Bay Sample Drive, DP 8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, VEPro 5, Vienna MIRPro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

monkey man wrote:No, DP will not chase notes (your key switches), only controller (CC) data.
Not to split hairs, oh hairy one, but DP WILL chase notes. It is first in the list on the event chasing window. I'm almost positive that DP will only chase those notes that are currently sustaining on the wiper, not previous notes that are already finished (which would likely be the case for a keyswitch). In other words, it will chase the note-ons for any upcoming note-offs.

CRAZY IDEA:

What if you took all your key switches and dragged the duration of them to be as long as the sections of each articulation. That way when you hit play, DP would chase all notes (including that key-switch). You'd have that weird thing where when you hit play, any presently sustaining notes would trigger right at playback, but you'd get your switches. Might be more trouble than it is worth to set up, but it might be worth it for some situations.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

frankf

Post by frankf »

stubbsonic wrote:
monkey man wrote:No, DP will not chase notes (your key switches), only controller (CC) data.

CRAZY IDEA:

What if you took all your key switches and dragged the duration of them to be as long as the sections of each articulation. That way when you hit play, DP would chase all notes (including that key-switch). You'd have that weird thing where when you hit play, any presently sustaining notes would trigger right at playback, but you'd get your switches. Might be more trouble than it is worth to set up, but it might be worth it for some situations.
I've done this with success. Either one long note or one long note that I break into 8 bar, or whatever, segments.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Using Change Duration > Move Releases to Closest Attack would make this easy to do on existing tracks.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Wow. Great idea. Who knew? I mean, besides stubby?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

That is good thinking, Stubbsy. Well done, mate. I've not been lucky enough to use key switching yet, but I get the concept.

Split hairs all you want, bro'. If you experience trapezoidal stiffness or pain, might I suggest you invest in a MonkeyLabs HairSplitter Pro™?. It operates just like a sausage machine - hair in one end, split hairs out of the other. Takes the angst out of the process. It's not on the market yet, but is scheduled for announcement in the MLI Product Update Q3 2015.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Wow. Great idea. Who knew? I mean, besides stubby?
Looks like Frankf already had this one down. (Or is MLC being cheeky?) :D
monkey man wrote:...might I suggest you invest in a MonkeyLabs HairSplitter Pro™?. It operates just like a sausage machine - hair in one end, split hairs out of the other. Takes the angst out of the process. It's not on the market yet, but is scheduled for announcement in the MLI Product Update Q3 2015.
You could ship me a beta unit. If there's a bug in it, even a "kind of" bug, I'd find it and elaborate unnecessarily about it.

frankf

Post by frankf »

stubbsonic wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Wow. Great idea. Who knew? I mean, besides stubby?
Looks like Frankf already had this one down. (Or is MLC being cheeky?) :D
Not important, we're all sharing here. I'll add that these key switch notes are best on a separate track. They can make a mess of Quickscribe or other notation app.

MLC cheeky? Nevah
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB