Stop adding -mg to merged audio name

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rosindabow
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Stop adding -mg to merged audio name

Post by rosindabow »

I do not like having the -mg added to my merged audio file's name ... is there any way to turn that off and just have it take the exact name I give it in the track? When I merge a track that I've edited, with all the little cuts and fades - I name it with a new name and I do not want DP sticking that -mg there. Thanks.
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Stop adding -mg to merged audio name

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

It's probably there so the SB window can sort the list by type of creation. Just a guess. I don't know if or how to change that.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:It's probably there so the SB window can sort the list by type of creation. Just a guess. I don't know if or how to change that.
I just hate it ... I have to transfer to Pro Tools for some projects and when I have 80 or 90 tracks, I have to start each one from measure 1 beat 1, and I merge the tracks individually. I have to make sure that I'm not missing any mutes or odd cuts or fades. Then I save it as an AAF Interchange and certain things transfer without a hitch and others do not. Bottom line, Pro Tools does not like or need the -mg and I just wish there was a way to turn it off.

And by the way, when i remove each -mg form the name, DP functions just fine. It does not hiccup or seem to need the extension in any way shape or form. I just have to remember to change it both in the track name as well as on the Disk name. The problem is ... 84 tracks ... one by one ...
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
danworks

Post by danworks »

rosindabow wrote:And by the way, when i remove each -mg form the name, DP functions just fine. It does not hiccup or seem to need the extension in any way shape or form. I just have to remember to change it both in the track name as well as on the Disk name. The problem is ... 84 tracks ... one by one ...
It's not the perfect solution but with "A Better Finder Rename" app, I think you should be able to get rid of the -mg to all the merged audio files with a single click.
"Leave the gun, take the cannolis …"

#1- MacPro-12Cores 3.3Ghz /64gig RAM/MacOS 10.13.6/DP10/VEP6/PCI-424
#2- MacPro-12Cores 3.3Ghz/64gig RAM/MacOS 10.10.5/VEP6

UAD2 and lots of software and plugs

Solo project here and on iTunes
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You can do bulk file renaming right in the Mac OS now. Google it.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

... and if you don't have Yosemite, there are free bulk rename utilities.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
doodles

Post by doodles »

don't know about the -mg naming, but this is what I use all the time when I've mis-spelled stems.

http://namechanger.en.softonic.com/mac
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
danworks

Post by danworks »

With stereo interleaved files should be easier cos the only suffix is ".wav" or ".aif". With de-interleaved files is more tricky cos there's also the ".L" and ".R" suffix you don't want to change nor erase.

I've found a way to batch renaming audio files using "A better finder rename". As you can see fm the picture, using the option displayed removed the "-mg" leaving intact the suffix ".L.wav" ".R.wav".

Good luck …
"Leave the gun, take the cannolis …"

#1- MacPro-12Cores 3.3Ghz /64gig RAM/MacOS 10.13.6/DP10/VEP6/PCI-424
#2- MacPro-12Cores 3.3Ghz/64gig RAM/MacOS 10.10.5/VEP6

UAD2 and lots of software and plugs

Solo project here and on iTunes
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

I suppose an option would be best, but I actually like seeing which files have been Merged when viewing the Soundbites window.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

Tritonemusic wrote:I suppose an option would be best, but I actually like seeing which files have been Merged when viewing the Soundbites window.
I agree - an option to turn this on and off would be best. This was something that MOTU added later - it was not always like this.
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

rosindabow wrote:I do not like having the -mg added to my merged audio file's name ... is there any way to turn that off and just have it take the exact name I give it in the track? When I merge a track that I've edited, with all the little cuts and fades - I name it with a new name and I do not want DP sticking that -mg there. Thanks.
I don't know what the big deal is. If you freeze a track, a new wav file is created with a name based on the original (i.e. Guitar.wav -> Guitar freeze.wav). If you punch in or otherwise over dub a track, a new wav file(s) is created with a name based on the original (i.e. Guitar.wav -> Guitar-02.wav -> Guitar-03.wav). If you apply a plugin like reverse, a new wav file is created with a name based on the original (i.e. Guitar.wav->Guitar-reverse.wav). AND SO ON.
I don't see why it should be any different for merge. IF there was an option to NOT append the -mg, what would it do? Overwrite the original? Kind flies in the face of the non-destructive nature of the program.
Personally, I don't know why they decided to abbreviate merged to mg. They don't abbreviate freeze or reverse, etc.
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

cleamon wrote:
rosindabow wrote:I do not like having the -mg added to my merged audio file's name ... is there any way to turn that off and just have it take the exact name I give it in the track? When I merge a track that I've edited, with all the little cuts and fades - I name it with a new name and I do not want DP sticking that -mg there. Thanks.
I don't know what the big deal is. If you freeze a track, a new wav file is created with a name based on the original (i.e. Guitar.wav -> Guitar freeze.wav). If you punch in or otherwise over dub a track, a new wav file(s) is created with a name based on the original (i.e. Guitar.wav -> Guitar-02.wav -> Guitar-03.wav). If you apply a plugin like reverse, a new wav file is created with a name based on the original (i.e. Guitar.wav->Guitar-reverse.wav). AND SO ON.
I don't see why it should be any different for merge. IF there was an option to NOT append the -mg, what would it do? Overwrite the original? Kind flies in the face of the non-destructive nature of the program.
Personally, I don't know why they decided to abbreviate merged to mg. They don't abbreviate freeze or reverse, etc.
It has to do with work flow. If it was only one track, that wouldn't matter. It has to do with transferring large files with 80 or more tracks to Pro Tools and uniformly merging them all so that they start at measure 1 beat 1. Then I have to save the session as an .aaf file to be opened inside Pro Tools. When I do this I am renaming all the files so I can consolidate the session and only transfer whole, complete audio tracks and they have a consistent name so I know all of the tracks that I wanted to transfer made it. I've found that extraneous letters like the -mg causes issues in this process.

Bottom line is this: To me it is a big deal - that's why I posted it. To you, obviously not. That's what this forum is about. I'm looking for suggestions and help.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

rosindabow wrote:Bottom line is this: To me it is a big deal - that's why I posted it. To you, obviously not. That's what this forum is about. I'm looking for suggestions and help.
Sometimes you also get discussions. That, too, is what this forum is about. (If I may speak as the person who runs/owns it.)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

James Steele wrote:
rosindabow wrote:Bottom line is this: To me it is a big deal - that's why I posted it. To you, obviously not. That's what this forum is about. I'm looking for suggestions and help.
Sometimes you also get discussions. That, too, is what this forum is about. (If I may speak as the person who runs/owns it.)
I completely agree. Discussions are always welcome - it's a matter of feeling like my issue is real for me and we can discuss it from that point of view - that the starting point is a valid concern for the person posting. Always up for a lively debate.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I lie the various batch revision approaches offered in this thread.