track presets in DP?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
musicman691

track presets in DP?

Post by musicman691 »

After a hiatus I'm back to the world of DP; my last was in the era of DP 6.03 (don't judge). I know there's been a ton of changes to the program and have been working with the PT8 demo. I'm coming from ProTools 10.3.10 and 11.3.1 and for the most part have been able to figure out this new version of DP. I don't have it all figured out and that will come in time. There are a couple of things I have immediate questions on.

From past experience I know DP can do a lot of things that aren't apparent. There's one in particular I can't seem to find and it's a function I made great use of in PT and that's track presets. By that I mean in PT when I create a new track I have access to not only the ones that are already programmed into PT but ones that I create. One of those is one that I use for drums using BFD3. In that presets I have it set so that with one selection I create a track that hosts BFD3, a MIDI track, a number of aux tracks to receive the individual outs from BFD3 (I like to treat vi drums like a real drum kit), an aux track that the outputs of those aux tracks get summed/routed to, sends on each aux track (but not the sum aux) to audio tracks and an aux to which all the audio tracks get summed/routed to. This allows me to easily get set up for drums.

Now I could make a template that would serve as a starting point but I don't always use drums in a piece of music. The second thing brings up my second question and that is I know DP strips out tempo mapping in an imported MIDI file (I'm assuming that hasn't changed) and as I understand the workaround is to open the file as a new DP project and the tempo mapping would be in place. But wouldn't that preclude using a template?

Is there something I'm missing that would allow me to do what I want? Could I create a new sequence to bring in my drums and then somehow import that new sequence into the one with the rest of my tracks?

PS: Full disclosure I was here before (a few years back) but under a different screen name. Good to see names I recognize from the past.
cleamon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: track presets in DP?

Post by cleamon »

musicman691 wrote:After a hiatus I'm back to the world of DP; my last was in the era of DP 6.03 (don't judge). I know there's been a ton of changes to the program and have been working with the PT8 demo. I'm coming from ProTools 10.3.10 and 11.3.1 and for the most part have been able to figure out this new version of DP. I don't have it all figured out and that will come in time. There are a couple of things I have immediate questions on.

From past experience I know DP can do a lot of things that aren't apparent. There's one in particular I can't seem to find and it's a function I made great use of in PT and that's track presets. By that I mean in PT when I create a new track I have access to not only the ones that are already programmed into PT but ones that I create. One of those is one that I use for drums using BFD3. In that presets I have it set so that with one selection I create a track that hosts BFD3, a MIDI track, a number of aux tracks to receive the individual outs from BFD3 (I like to treat vi drums like a real drum kit), an aux track that the outputs of those aux tracks get summed/routed to, sends on each aux track (but not the sum aux) to audio tracks and an aux to which all the audio tracks get summed/routed to. This allows me to easily get set up for drums.

Now I could make a template that would serve as a starting point but I don't always use drums in a piece of music. The second thing brings up my second question and that is I know DP strips out tempo mapping in an imported MIDI file (I'm assuming that hasn't changed) and as I understand the workaround is to open the file as a new DP project and the tempo mapping would be in place. But wouldn't that preclude using a template?

Is there something I'm missing that would allow me to do what I want? Could I create a new sequence to bring in my drums and then somehow import that new sequence into the one with the rest of my tracks?

PS: Full disclosure I was here before (a few years back) but under a different screen name. Good to see names I recognize from the past.
A couple ways off the top of my head:
1) add a MIDI track, the instrument, "hook" them up, etc. select them all and copy to (global) clipping window. Then any time you need it, just drag it from the clipping window to your sequence. tada.
2) create a project with your setup(s). Then when needed, "load" the piece(s) you need from that project.
I'm sure there are other ways, and some one will chime in....
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

cleamon wrote:
musicman691 wrote:After a hiatus I'm back to the world of DP; my last was in the era of DP 6.03 (don't judge). I know there's been a ton of changes to the program and have been working with the PT8 demo. I'm coming from ProTools 10.3.10 and 11.3.1 and for the most part have been able to figure out this new version of DP. I don't have it all figured out and that will come in time. There are a couple of things I have immediate questions on.

1) add a MIDI track, the instrument, "hook" them up, etc. select them all and copy to (global) clipping window. Then any time you need it, just drag it from the clipping window to your sequence. tada.
2) create a project with your setup(s). Then when needed, "load" the piece(s) you need from that project.
That was quick and thanks. Number one wouldn't really do anything to speed things up. I'd have to create the same thing each time I start a new project. As to number two how would I do that? I looked at import but at least in the manual I don't seem to see how this could be accomplished. Like I said there must be something I'm missing.

Track presets like I mentioned would be cool.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Global Clippings persist between projects. So you have clippings available to ALL projects.

You can also create defaults/templates through DP or through the Mac OS with "Stationary Pad".
Last edited by stubbsonic on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

musicman691 wrote:
cleamon wrote:

That was quick and thanks. Number one wouldn't really do anything to speed things up. I'd have to create the same thing each time I start a new project. As to number two how would I do that? I looked at import but at least in the manual I don't seem to see how this could be accomplished. Like I said there must be something I'm missing.

Track presets like I mentioned would be cool.
Maybe I don't understand. For example, I use EZDrummer a lot, so I added a MIDI track and an instrument track to a project. I setup up the input/outputs as needed. Then I copied those 2 "tracks" to a clipping window. Now, on the next project I need EZD on, I simply drag that clipping to the sequence (or track overview). Done! I use that with Kontakt as well.

Also, as stubbsonic pointed out, clippings can persist between projects. Just be sure to select the proper type (New Digital Performer Clipping Window) when you copy.

For the second option, check out File->Load in the manual.
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

cleamon wrote: Maybe I don't understand. For example, I use EZDrummer a lot, so I added a MIDI track and an instrument track to a project. I setup up the input/outputs as needed. Then I copied those 2 "tracks" to a clipping window. Now, on the next project I need EZD on, I simply drag that clipping to the sequence (or track overview). Done! I use that with Kontakt as well.

Also, as stubbsonic pointed out, clippings can persist between projects. Just be sure to select the proper type (New Digital Performer Clipping Window) when you copy.

Cleamon and stubbsonic:
Thanks for the reply. I knew there had to be a way to do what I wanted to do I just didn't know it in terms of DP. Okay - clippings persist between projects but do they persist after I quit DP, shut down the computer and come back the next day? If not it would be option #2 then?
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

musicman691 wrote:
cleamon wrote: Maybe I don't understand. For example, I use EZDrummer a lot, so I added a MIDI track and an instrument track to a project. I setup up the input/outputs as needed. Then I copied those 2 "tracks" to a clipping window. Now, on the next project I need EZD on, I simply drag that clipping to the sequence (or track overview). Done! I use that with Kontakt as well.

Cleamon and stubbsonic:
Thanks for the reply. I knew there had to be a way to do what I wanted to do I just didn't know it in terms of DP. Okay - clippings persist between projects but do they persist after I quit DP, shut down the computer and come back the next day? If not it would be option #2 then?
Yes, they persist forever (until you delete them). They exist as files in folders on your computer. You can add just about anything to them. I keep a "project" level text document with most projects. Another type is "startup" (I think), and those will run whenever the project loads.
Chuck
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

cleamon wrote: Yes, they persist forever (until you delete them). They exist as files in folders on your computer. You can add just about anything to them. I keep a "project" level text document with most projects. Another type is "startup" (I think), and those will run whenever the project loads.
Thanks for the quick help on this. Much appreciated.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Yeah, Startup Clippings exist in the Clippings Folder in the Project folder. Some clippings live in the System Preferences file. Startup Clippings are project oriented, I guess. To use them, you open a new Startup Clipping window in DP, and you drag any file you want to use into it. I'm talking about files from other apps. You could drag a text file in there from TextEdit, or Pages, or any note-taking app or word processing app, and keep detailed notes on a project which open in the background every time you open that project in DP.

Maybe you always run a synth program with a certain project. You could have that synth open when you open the DP project, by dragging it or an alias into the Startup Clippings. There are many things you can do with it. Have it open a client's contact info with that client's project. Open a movie in Quicktime with film score projects. Open a game if you're creating music for a game. You can think of all kinds of things that you might want to run in conjunction with a DP file.

DP9 is supposed to have a note pad or something like that built-in to DP, and I appreciate that. We would do well to take detailed notes on any project for future reference. But I really appreciate the flexibility to be found in the Startup Clippings. I've had everything from spreadsheets to graphics to text files, contact info... You have to admit, it's very flexible!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Shooshie wrote:Yeah, Startup Clippings exist in the Clippings Folder in the Project folder. Some clippings live in the System Preferences file. Startup Clippings are project oriented, I guess. To use them, you open a new Startup Clipping window in DP, and you drag any file you want to use into it. I'm talking about files from other apps. You could drag a text file in there from TextEdit, or Pages, or any note-taking app or word processing app, and keep detailed notes on a project which open in the background every time you open that project in DP.

Maybe you always run a synth program with a certain project. You could have that synth open when you open the DP project, by dragging it or an alias into the Startup Clippings. There are many things you can do with it. Have it open a client's contact info with that client's project. Open a movie in Quicktime with film score projects. Open a game if you're creating music for a game. You can think of all kinds of things that you might want to run in conjunction with a DP file.

DP9 is supposed to have a note pad or something like that built-in to DP, and I appreciate that. We would do well to take detailed notes on any project for future reference. But I really appreciate the flexibility to be found in the Startup Clippings. I've had everything from spreadsheets to graphics to text files, contact info... You have to admit, it's very flexible!

Shooshie
So with Startup Clippings if I had a Word .docx file in there when I start that DP project again Word would also start? Nice :) Of course with the note pad coming in DP9 things would be simplified. Right now my session notes exist on post-it pieces stuck all over the place.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

musicman691 wrote:So with Startup Clippings if I had a Word .docx file in there when I start that DP project again Word would also start? Nice :)
That's correct! You can add many files, each of which opens its own app. Of course, that will lengthen the time it takes to load everything, but if you want convenience, this is a way to get it.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
arthurputy

Post by arthurputy »

Could this same method be used to launch a rewire project? So for example add an ableton project to the clip area and have it load automatically with the project? Would be really handy if that worked! Anyone try it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk