Little Alter Boy with MIDI key control

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rob fetters
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Little Alter Boy with MIDI key control

Post by rob fetters »

Errored by posting this on the Windows board the other day—

A simple method to make this cool little gizmo work as a pretty good vocoder:
1) Perhaps best to start with a vocal track, but monophonic instruments work well.
2) Put L.A.B. as an insert on the track, set it to "ROBOT" mode.
3) Create a new MIDI track and set its output to the vocal track L.A.B. insert.
4) Arm the MIDI track and play some keys, it will switch the setting on the 2 octave PITCH control. Play as the track rolls. Put on your Daft Punk helmet (you have one, right?) and have fun.

(So far, Sound Toys explained methods for a few other DAWs but not DP.)
DP 10.13 / OSX 10.14.6
MacPro 3.33 6-Core w/SSD, 32G RAM. Metric Halo I/O. (...using MH Console as a summing mixer.)
VIs / plug-ins include NI Komplete, VSL, Slate, Sound Toys, Voxengo, Kush, Eventide, Oeksound, Izotope.
monkey man

Re: Little Alter Boy with MIDI key control

Post by monkey man »

I've only a CTS helmet, but I s'pose that'll have to do.

Been meaning to try this as soon as I (eventually) fire DP up again. Maybe the day DP9 arrives on the shores of Jungleville; I'm first in line as usual. The wholesaler placed me there even 'though there isn't one (a queue) yet. Turns out that the product must be "real" and have a code before one can book a spot for it...

I'm looking forward to giving L.A.B. a test run; until now I've not had the capability of rendering EDM-style vocal tracks.

Thank you for posting this, Rob.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
David Polich

Re: Little Alter Boy with MIDI key control

Post by David Polich »

I tried to get interested in this plug-in but realized I already have plug-ins that do the same
thing. It's a combination of a vocoder with formant control.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com